Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've heard about this road near the TN, NC border that all the roadracer bike guys tell me about. They've been trying to get me to take my rally car down there. I guess the Miata club and many other sports car clubs convene there in addition to the bikers. Basically its 11 miles of good pavement with 318 turns or some such nonsense. The fairly low speed limit is hardly attainable on a sportbike. It has fostered a small cottage industry in the area catering to twisty loving tourists with campgrounds, vacation packages, etc., mostly for two wheelers.

My question is this... Has anyone here been there? In a car? Would you think this would be a good place to host a Rallysprint/hillclimb/other 4-wheeled rallylike mayhem?

Just curious.

Thinking about taking a bike down there this spring to do a little investigation.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
My son and a group of Subaru owners go down there every spring. I think they are insane, but they're young and invulnerable, so you can't tell them anything. The list of young kids that I know who've werecked their cars on this little escapade grows every year. Go to http://www.tailofthedragon.com to find out all about the Tail of the Dragon.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
>yes, yes, and yes....
>
>this is only miles away from the roads used for cherokee
>trails and rally TN....
>
>Almost exlusively motorcycles even has a motorcycle only
>resort at one end of the road....

It is also a US Highway. I think a rallysprint is out, but you never know...

·
Four tree two remember Andrew
1,632 Posts
Go to Deal's gap if you want traffic, overarching law-enforcement, etc. Crackdowns are a guaranteed part of running the road. It has been overexposed.

There are equal or better roads in the Southeast. Check out http://www.tailofthedragon.com/ for some of them (which is the Deal's Gap website. Others are secret.

I've done extenisive recce of tarmac in East Tennessee, Georgia, and NC (as well as gravel). You'd be surprised at the twisties that can be found.

Wilson

·
Faster Mabricator
3,611 Posts
Twice Deal's Gap (Fontana Village) has hosted the Fiat/Lancia Unlimited (Alfa, Ferrari, Maserati,..) club's Freakout event. What a hoot! One club member in a supercharged Fiat 131 was passing most crotch-rocket bikers. There was a Stratos there too. Remember seeing at least 2 accidents (one involving a motorcycle, another involving cars). The cops weren't too bad. Supposedly if you stick to your side of the double yellow lines around the curves, they leave you alone. The faster sections near the lower lake you'd have to slow down or could get busted. That was 5 years ago though so it may have changed since the area has gotten more popular since then.
Nice scenic area.

·
Registered
9 Posts
went there as will perry's (randy bailey's co-driver, arrc champ, pro it winner, etc ad nauseum) victim one winter day...probably the scariest eleven miles of my life. an mr2 w/plastic tires ensured great sideways fun for will, but i've got some serious control issues i have yet to work through. afterwards he said, "you never made a peep" but he couldn't say "poop".

dave

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hey Lurch, I spend alot of time on Deal's Gap, on a GSXR and in my RX-7. It is truly an amazing road and many times we have pondered on trying to have an event there, Rand McNally even shows it curvey. All the events that happen there don't involve closing the road so no permits are needed which is good because they probably would be impossible to get anyway. Come on down in the spring and we'll give it a spin.
Randy Bailey

·
your other left, you idiot
3,909 Posts
It is on the Miata list often.
I might even have video somewhere.

press on,

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sounds like a plan, Randy. Planning on putting stickies on a KTM 520 EXC. Supermoto style, eh. Heck, I'll drag the Mazda along with tarmac rally tires, too. Just for fun.

·
just another old phart
2,258 Posts
Just northeast of Cherokee, NC just off the Blue Ridge Parkway in the southern edge of Great Smoky Mountain National Park is another road that's a real kick. Except this one is gravel and one way and full of switchbacks. Reminiscent of old Sunriser roads in southern Ohio but maybe even better. Don't recall its name without looking it up (it is on the GSMNP map) but it was an absolute ball to drive with no worries about oncoming traffic.

Kent Gardam

·
Faster Mabricator
3,611 Posts
>Just northeast of Cherokee, NC .......

I worked as a NPS ranger in the Great Smoky Mtns NP and went through NPS Law Enforcement school outside of Cherokee. I know all those roads plus ones that are gated to public. The gated roads which I had access (keys)to were great cause I knew there was no one but me driving them. Watercrossings galore on some of them. Had one interesting car chase thru the park during my assignment there. Had a police cruiser and 4x4 S10 pickup assigned to me that I about wore out. Yehaw!

·
Faster Mabricator
3,611 Posts
NatureBoy

>Why does the only thing surpises me is the fact that you
>were a ranger.

Yep, for a couple years. Have a bachelors degree in Natural Resource Mgmt. A motorcycle accident (hit by drunk driver in pickup truck)ended that career. Fun job while I did it.
Also backpacked the entire Appalachian Trail from Georgia to Maine.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Am I crazy or what? This is a road with a FOLLOWING. It seems if you had an event there, you'd have workers built in. Because my roadracing buddies can relate to it, they want to see us race on it. With promotion through the whole Deal's Gap network all over the net, it could be a real awesome event.

I see on the sites there are lots of scenic turnouts...any of them NOT on the outside of a turn (ie safe for speccies)? Investigation implies that if your bike isn't blatantly illegal and if you don't speed along the lake or cross the centerline, the police let it ride. This means the locals UNDERSTAND the economics of letting events...and people...come use their road. Now how much convincing would it take to go one further and actually close it?

Hmmmmm...

http://www.tailofthedragon.com/maps/DRAGONmap.gif

·
Four tree two remember Andrew
1,632 Posts
Well, maybe some of the folks coming down for Rally Tennessee and Cherokee Trails ought to do a field trip. I'd suggest Friday a.m. versus Sunday.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts