Special Stage Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
your other left, you idiot
3,909 Posts
From Jeffy-

>.....they are ready to run the top section. They are putting HAKKAs on since it's been snowing. Pastrana ( and then someone else who landed about 4 feet from him ) off at the picnic grounds and is done.

press on,

·
3,909 Posts
Brian?

Brian-

For a guy who gave up rallying (this week anyway), you sure do still have a lot of interest.

Or is this West coast Brian Scott?

press on <and ducking>,

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
RE: Brian?

What can I say......I'm an addict.

I have sold all my cars / truck / trailer / tires (over 240 of them at one point).

As much as I just hate the SCCA to the core.....I just love flying down a dirt/gravel road.

And I'm an information junky ;)

Brian

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Snow on SS3. This could spell trouble for those without snow or ice tires. I know Whiteman just took a bunch of Hoosiers intermediates. Hope the rest of the Doodge crew has snow tires in the truck.

D'oh!

·
eating dust taking photos
3,740 Posts
I am amazed, and pleasantly surprised that only 2 cars went off. Heck yesterday morning on the lower section heading up to Glen Cove I got caught off guard on some gravely tarmac, not enough to spin me but I was only doing 35-40 deffinitely not race speeds.

I am pretty shocked to hear they went off at Halfway Picnic grounds thought, that was the freshest and cleanest tarmac on the mountain, also the best flowing tarmac on the mountain as well. Oh well, maybe there was moisture or some gravel run off from the storm front thats moving through.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Mom said the someone else was Tanner... evidently, both of them went straight at a right, Travis endo'd but Tanner just drove off.

At least, that's what she said at 6:25AM Pacific Daylight Savings time, or 7:25 Pike's Peak time.

Snow and ice at the summit, half the field chose tarmac tires and the other half chose gravel for stage 3. Some people probably brought snows and ran those, they were the smart ones. Something to do next time, I guess! :)

Jesse James showed up in his Purple Monster Garage truck, complete with cameras mounted to the outside, and ran up stage 3 after the rally cars were done for his qualifying run. Mom said that Rhys started after him, and caught him. :p Hee hee! :)

I'm sure I'll hear more later after my folks have a chance to get some sleep.....

·
Registered
625 Posts
I would not like to be in any snow on a set of hoosier racing tires.....

Dunno what i rather do... Run snows on tarmac and gravel or slicks/dirt track tires on snow?

Larry

·
3,909 Posts
No brainer.
Door # 1.

>Dunno what i rather do... Run snows on tarmac and gravel or
>slicks/dirt track tires on snow?

press on,

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Here's the latest scoop:

Paul Choniere won stage 2 by 14 seconds over Pat Richard and took the overall lead.

Stage 2 times

Choniere 6:58:0
Richard 7:12:7
Llyod 7:13:1
Millen 7:15:9
Burns 7:22:3
Shepperd 7:27:6
Workum 7:30:3
Verdier 7:34:4
Styles 7:42:4
Zwart 7:56.0 (with NO driving lights)

Stage 3 the 2 wheel drive cars were again winning the stage, until the last 2 miles of the stage, when mud and ice gace the advantege to the 4wd cars.

Overal positions after stage 3

Richard
Choniere
Millen
Shepperd

All 4 within 3 seconds.

I do not have the times. I will post them as soon as I have them.

Tony Chavez

·
Registered
907 Posts
After talkig to couple of the drivers, the reall issue was fog.
The snow was not too bad. Fog caused Travis to go off not sure about the other car. The snow came to play about 1.5miles from the end of ss3 and suposedly was not much different what we are used to at Laughlin

George

·
eating dust taking photos
3,740 Posts
>Here's the latest scoop:
>
>Paul Choniere won stage 2 by 14 seconds over Pat Richard and
>took the overall lead.
>
>Stage 2 times
>
>Choniere 6:58:0
>Richard 7:12:7
>Llyod 7:13:1
>Millen 7:15:9
>Burns 7:22:3
>Shepperd 7:27:6
>Workum 7:30:3
>Verdier 7:34:4
>Styles 7:42:4
>Zwart 7:56.0 (with NO driving lights)
>
>Stage 3 the 2 wheel drive cars were again winning the stage,
>until the last 2 miles of the stage, when mud and ice gace
>the advantege to the 4wd cars.
>
>Overal positions after stage 3
>
>Richard
>Choniere
>Millen
>Shepperd
>
>All 4 within 3 seconds.
>
>I do not have the times. I will post them as soon as I have
>them.
>
>Tony Chavez
>

Looking at rally america richard is 14.4 seconds ahead of paul, 15.5 ahead of rhys and 17.3 ahead of doug, a whopping 21.3 and 22.0 ahead of Leon and Andrew Barnes respectively.

Too bad John Lloyd had to go and lose the clutch, I love watching those hyundaibishis run.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Not on this topic... but... Is Rhys going to be running any other SCCA events with that GTO? Or is Pike's Peak a one-off event for the car?

Philip J. Boer
grinner323(at)sbcglobal(dot)net

·
Registered
77 Posts
>
>Jesse James showed up in his Purple Monster Garage truck,
>complete with cameras mounted to the outside, and ran up
>stage 3 after the rally cars were done for his qualifying
>run. Mom said that Rhys started after him, and caught him.
>:p Hee hee! :)
>

That's awesome...I wonder what Jesse thinks now that hes at the mountain, cuz back at the garage he was fairly cool about it. We tried to explain to him that racing up a mountain was alot different than a track, not that I've run PP, but I am a hillclimber.
Rhys was also part of the build team for that "Monster"
Don't let it's purple appearance fool you...remember "the monster must appear stock" }>

I hope he kicks ass tomorrow!!!

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Fresh news!!!!

Leon Styles just won stage 4 overall with a time of 12:16. Stage 4 was also the scored ran for the Pikes Peak Hill Climb, so he just won it.

Most important, he has taken the overall lead from Pat Richard by 9 seconds, with one stage to go.

Stage 5 is the same as stage, but only rally cars will go up the mountain the second time. That stage should get underway in about an hour. Rain is expected at the bottom, while snow is a certainty at the top.

Tony Chavez

·
Registered
901 Posts
Day 3 news!

Mom called this morning to tell me that Mark had a "little off" (she says they were told he had destroyed the left side of the car-- a little exaggeration!)

Then Mark called to tell me the story... He elected to run grooved tarmac tires, because he could be faster lower down and he'd be going slow farther up anyway. He was still pushing, though, because he wanted to set a new Production record. And he went off.

They need to replace the front left control arm, and they've got one, possibly two broken rear struts (those bilsteins seem to be a little weak!), and tore the rear bumper half off. They were got pulled out and got back on the road, and were only passed by one other car before the finish. According to Rally America, he's got a 15:30 something, not bad for having an off, he still beat other cars.

The car's driveable, just a little busted up, and they were going to drive down to the service area with everyone else and see what they could fix before the next run. Hopefully they'll have enough time to do whatever needs doing! :)

Mark sounded a little bummed, and he hopes everything that needs to get fixed can. If it's only one broken strut, they were going to drive on it, just to finish the event; if it's 2 broken ones, they'll probably be done.

Anyway, that's the scoop from the Tabors this morning!

KT

1 - 20 of 28 Posts