1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
navie baby!
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
Interesting. I just read in this blurb Verdier basically talking about how much the Hyundai's blow.
Way to shit on Sterckx's parade dude :rolleyes:

But seriously, the cars are pretty decent for what they are. Olsberg's (and the Fords in general) have been under development for a decade if you include the Focus as a development point. RMR started with a new car, new team, and not a lot of experience in rallycross and were told to go nuts. Hell, VSC can't keep up either and they probably have a decent budget and some good talent on their team (Sverre). In fact, I know they do because I've saw them in action first hand at New Hampshire last year and got to chat with a lot of the people while there.

I think it's pretty awesome that David is doing this!

Karen, does he get to do any testing in advance? Even find a parking lot and get used to the car before jumping in feet first hopefully!

·
navie baby!
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well Evan is mr positivity lol

Adam: he tested the car for a half day Monday and is hoping to get a bit more seat time before the event Sunday.......

·
Registered
669 Posts
Just wanted to let everyone know that David will be teaming up with Rhys Millen in a Hyundai Veloster for this weekend's X Games LA. He is soooooo excited I bet he doesn't sleep a wink until then!

For all the details, pixs, etc:

http://www.rallyworldnews.com/2013/07/from-concord-pond-to-house-of-drift.html

For live updates this weekend:

http://facebook.com/davidsterckxrallysport
www.davidsterckx.com
Twitter : @sterckxrally
Instagram : David Sterckx
YouTube : davidsterckx76
Yes! I love that Veloster, and it did pretty well under Rhys. From what I remember they were really fast on the straights but not not as nimble in the turns. And had a ton of launch issues. I thought he had sold them off.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Yes! I love that Veloster, and it did pretty well under Rhys. From what I remember they were really fast on the straights but not not as nimble in the turns. And had a ton of launch issues. I thought he had sold them off.
I liked very much that Hyundai was involved but I remembered them being really bad. Could be I forgot about the launch control things being a factor more than the car dynamics though.

LOL Sorry. Wasn't trying to be the flinger of merde. I had just literally read the Verdier thing seconds before reading this thread.

The more the merrier and French Canadians don't fuck around so it should be cool to watch and see what happens.

·
Registered
669 Posts
I liked very much that Hyundai was involved but I remembered them being really bad. Could be I forgot about the launch control things being a factor more than the car dynamics though.

LOL Sorry. Wasn't trying to be the flinger of merde. I had just literally read the Verdier thing seconds before reading this thread.

The more the merrier and French Canadians don't fuck around so it should be cool to watch and see what happens.
Rhys actually finished 3rd in one race. Points finish in every race except where he crashed during practice in that LA debacle. Was 4th driver overall last year (Verdier was 6th so Hyundai couldnt be that bad). Hes a great driver, its a good car, but the Fords are just better.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012_Global_RallyCross_Championship#Results

Edit: fun fact - Hubinette in his Sabb was 3rd overall last year!

·
eating dust taking photos
3,740 Posts

Isn't Sterckx from Belgium? I don't remember seeing a Canadian let alone a French Canadian on the entry lists.

Now there is a Frenchmen and we'd all love to see him kick some ass!

·
Registered
510 Posts
Way to shit on Sterckx's parade dude :rolleyes:

But seriously, the cars are pretty decent for what they are. Olsberg's (and the Fords in general) have been under development for a decade if you include the Focus as a development point. RMR started with a new car, new team, and not a lot of experience in rallycross and were told to go nuts. Hell, VSC can't keep up either and they probably have a decent budget and some good talent on their team (Sverre). In fact, I know they do because I've saw them in action first hand at New Hampshire last year and got to chat with a lot of the people while there.

I think it's pretty awesome that David is doing this!

Karen, does he get to do any testing in advance? Even find a parking lot and get used to the car before jumping in feet first hopefully!

RMR started with a WRC car, that is hardly starting from scratch.

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
RMR started with a WRC car, that is hardly starting from scratch.
I'm not going to agree or disagree as I truthfully don't know. Considering these aren't silhouette cars and they have unibodies, I'm curious how they got a WRC veloster when there is no such thing. And I'd hardly consider a decade old Accent much of a running start compared to the Fiestas. Do you mean driveliine-wise? I could see that. But considering the (admittingly) abysmal suspension setups the RMR cars appeared to run with in the beginning, I have my doubts it was a wrc chassis. Would be cool to chat with Rhys about the actual build of the cars *dunno*

·
3,740 Posts
Rhys wins the LCQ, and 4th overall. Guess the Hyundai doesn't blow after all.
Who did Rhys beat?
Mira and Lasek, they are running the VSC subarus while Isaschen allegedly has a chassis from Gunnarsson Motorsport in Scandinavia.
Stephan who was out gunned.
The Dodges which seem to have the power but not the handling, and TP lead Rhys for a lot of the race.
And Speed and Sandell, who both failed to complete all 10 laps with Doran and Block.

Rhys drove smart and survived the first pinch point and was in a car that is very good but still outclassed by the Ford's.

RMR never had the budget nor resources to get the car to the level of the Fords. The only person who has driven both said after he drove the Ford he knew if he wanted to win that's what he needed to be racing. I am just glad that the Subaru placed, I'd really like to see Subaru stay with the GRC program and RA. Hopefully what they have learned with Isaccshen can be expanded on and we can see Subaru challenge for a top 4 for the rest of the year.

·
Registered
669 Posts
I agree that Rhys is the key factor there, but it just proves that the Hyundai is a good car in the right hands. I dont think anything but Liam Doran can beat the Fords.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Who did Rhys beat?
Mira and Lasek, they are running the VSC subarus while Isaschen allegedly has a chassis from Gunnarsson Motorsport in Scandinavia.
Stephan who was out gunned.
The Dodges which seem to have the power but not the handling, and TP lead Rhys for a lot of the race.
And Speed and Sandell, who both failed to complete all 10 laps with Doran and Block.

Rhys drove smart and survived the first pinch point and was in a car that is very good but still outclassed by the Ford's.

RMR never had the budget nor resources to get the car to the level of the Fords. The only person who has driven both said after he drove the Ford he knew if he wanted to win that's what he needed to be racing. I am just glad that the Subaru placed, I'd really like to see Subaru stay with the GRC program and RA. Hopefully what they have learned with Isaccshen can be expanded on and we can see Subaru challenge for a top 4 for the rest of the year.

How long does Subaru stay with lasek and mirra? They've pretty much been miserable. Can't look good for VSC either, i'm sure there cars arent the best, but they are also probably the weakest drivers in the field.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Do they run 2.5 liters in the subarus or 2.0? Cause isn't there a weight penalty for displacement
Plus the Sti is the biggest car it looks like

What other cars have been dominating rallycross over seas

Citroen? Peugeot? Vw?

·
3,740 Posts
Do they run 2.5 liters in the subarus or 2.0? Cause isn't there a weight penalty for displacement
Plus the Sti is the biggest car it looks like

What other cars have been dominating rallycross over seas

Citroen? Peugeot? Vw?

In the European Rallcross Championship if it isn't a Citroen DS3 you might as well not bother to plan on winning.

I think Subaru sticks with Mirra and Lasek as long as Sverre isn't winning and Puma wants them/keeps writing the checks. Even if Sverre starts to win I am not sure if having Mirra and Lasek win matters as much to Puma as having their names/brands associated.

What would be interesting is to know the development differences between Sverre's car and the others to see if Mirra/Lasek get only the over the winter car development work or if all cars are getting the same updates and upgrades (minus the euro chassis Svere allegedly had for x games). I am just glad that Subaru got a medal at the games this year, it sounded like the future of the program was very grim if they didn't....

Also, anyone know what happened to Diggins or was it CO poisoning, he posted a twitter photo from an ER bed after the grid event....

·
Registered
479 Posts
an episode of Launch control suggested the rallycross cars run a version of the 2.0 motor, but I have no idea how accurate that is.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I think the VW is the new fiesta just give it a few more races. Seems the smaller the car the faster it is in rallycross form. Not sure how big the 14 Subaru is compared to the fiesta but thats there only hope in consistently runing with them.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Nice to see david out there, pretty cool. Does he plan on running more events? Always enjoy seeing the Hyundai's run, wish they could hit all the events, even if they're not quite on par.

Excellent seeing the Gun subbie / Sverre get a podium. Wonder what would have happened had he not jumped and been flagged into the sin bin. Hope those preps carry over to lasek and Mirra. I like Mirra, enjoy watching him develop. Really wish Higgins was behind the wheel of one, though.

The events are getting better, track layout is getting better, competition is starting to show. I find it funny how there's less talk when there isn't as much to bitch about and the events are actually worth talking about. Though, lol, I do miss the table top and wonder if they'll ever bring the gap back. I see no reason why there still can't be some sort of over / under table. But safety, layout ect has improved much.

Really enjoyed most of the heats, especially 3 and 4. Love the lites.

Edit; also, love seeing verdier and millen out their. man, hope those guys can pick up a ride.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts