Special Stage Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Flat through Glen village
783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am working on an article on the current state of Rally in the USA. One area where I am having some trouble is coming up with good info on how many active Rally cars are in the USA at present, better defined cars that competed in 2005.
I would also like to get an idea of cars by class, and finally by year. If anyone knows of such a database please let me know.
Regards
Neil

·
Dirt surfer
1,367 Posts
The info you want is out there. It's just buried in individual event start lists.

RA and NASA sites have decent event calendars with links to each rally. Print out the start lists for the various events and various series. Looking at these, you will start seeing familiar names pretty soon and as you plow thru the lists the numbers will start to come into focus easier.

The national events will be the simple ones. Regional events may take a bit more digging.

Once you have all that, comparing start lists to final results will show the depth of the carnage out there on stage.

Good luck, this is a worthwhile project.

Dave G

"...Embrace loose gravel, beware big trees..."

·
783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies, I have gone down a few of these roads already and have a fairly complete list. I just wanted to see if someone had already done this . I have found as Dave suggested going through the entry lists was the best means of getting the info.
Regards

Neil

·
Faster Mabricator
3,611 Posts
>I have found as Dave
>suggested going through the entry lists was the best means of
>getting the info.

If you know which cars were rentals, who owns more than 1 car, which cars were destroyed or sold & competed again by someone else,..
You really gotta keep in the loop for each sanctioning body in each region to know all this.

·
Registered
731 Posts
>Thanks for the replies, I have gone down a few of these roads
>already and have a fairly complete list. I just wanted to see
>if someone had already done this . I have found as Dave
>suggested going through the entry lists was the best means of
>getting the info.
>Regards
>
>Neil
>

It might be an easy check (at least on the NASA side) to just look at the NASA compiled Speed-factors list. It is posted http://nasarallysport.com/SpeedfactorNum.pdf and has a pretty good list of DRIVERS, cars, and the events they ran in 2004-2005(does not yet have International Rally NY though).

As far as cars go....the data is more difficult because they tend to change hands and get crashed.

·
Registered
524 Posts
>I am working on an article on the current state of Rally in
>the USA. One area where I am having some trouble is coming up
>with good info on how many active Rally cars are in the USA at
>present, better defined cars that competed in 2005.
>I would also like to get an idea of cars by class, and finally
>by year. If anyone knows of such a database please let me
>know.

None really exists in such an easy to digest format--have to do a bit of work to get the information.

In 2006 though I will have a database of (hopefully) all active drivers and cars as well as events, all in a relational database and website.

-k

·
783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks again everyone for your help on this, I beleive I have a good snapshot on what's out there, granted it's hard to track who owns what.. :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts