1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
3/14=my 42nd rally anniversary
3,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
48 Posts
I want those wheels for my BMW! I think that tree is almost offsides. Are any current US rally roads as narrow looking as that?
-Rod Van Koughnet
Tulsa, OK

·
Registered
48 Posts
I cross-posted this to [www.bmw2002faq.com] to see if anyone knows more about those vintage wheels. I was informed they are Cosmics, from the UK. This led to much discussion about vintage and current POR. I was glad to see so many rally fans over there. One even posted a Tim Winker link to '78 POR results. Ultimately, I closed the loop by linking them back to a previous history lesson in this SpecialStage conference.

Here's the BMW thread if interested: [http://www.bmw2002faq.com/cgi-bin/t....bmw2002faq.com/talkshop/forum&msg_num=35039]

-Rod Van Koughnet
Tulsa, OK

·
just another old phart
2,258 Posts
I'm thinking Grimshaw used to navvie for Erhard, no?

Kent Gardam

·
3,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
>I'm thinking Grimshaw used to navvie for Erhard, no?
>
>Kent Gardam

Yes. And Grimbo tells some great Erhard Dahm stories. If memory serves there was a rally somewhere they ran where Erhard was BY GOD going to catch the car that was both on the road a minute ahead of them and just in front of them in the standings. Trouble was, when he saw taillights, gunned the throttle and exclaimed "Ve get zem now!" he accelerated straight off the road and into a large ravine that seperated that part of the stage from the end of it. The taillights he'd spied were of yet another car that was finishing the stage - it was close enough to be within site but a couple of miles down the stage!

But I'm pretty certain the face in that picture is NOT Thomas Grimshaw.

Halley ...
http://www.realautosport.com

·
1973 WRC POR
2,421 Posts
>But I'm pretty certain the face in that picture is NOT
>Thomas Grimshaw.

Mike:

I am not certain, but it looks like John Campbell.

Doug Woods

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hey, I know this picture well. It was lifted off the cover of Road&Track, March 1972. The photo is credited to Gero Hoeschek but does not give the names of the occupants. The feature story is on the 71 POR (not 72) written as usual by Cam Warren. The event was being observed by the FIA for inclusion into the 72 World Championship. Here are the top ten:

1-Harvey/King
2-Vanier/Vanier
3-Walker/Easton
4-Smiskol/Rekus
5-Dahm/Grimshaw
6-Smith/Clayton
7-Cayer/Edmond
8-Thomason/Seidman
9-Willert/Shortt
10-Bell/Callon

Judging by the photos in the article, the picture was taken at the event. Grimshaw is listed in the results. If not a young Grimshaw, then who? And why?

·
3,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
>Judging by the photos in the article, the picture was taken
>at the event. Grimshaw is listed in the results. If not a
>young Grimshaw, then who? And why?

Yow, Good question! If that's Grimbo then he must have gas or something!! It sure doesn't look like Tom to me.

Halley ...
http://www.realautosport.com

·
Registered
289 Posts
Co-driver is John Campbell according to my sources. (Old POR stuff,etc.)

Location of the "special stage" where the photo was "staged": Supposedly it was on a two track dirt road (long since closed off) in Hines Park in the middle of Plymouth, MI. Veteran Michigan rallyists would know more about this old rumor.

Gravelgeezer

·
Old Fart
560 Posts
The 1972 POR Program has a picture on the cover probably from the same photoshoot. It has the BMW flying through the air on a yump. When I asked back then I was told it was a staged shot.

Paul Jaeger
PRIMO Stage Crews
For a Good Time, Call PRIMO!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts