Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted this question a few days ago, but it seems to have got lost in the forum switchover...

What are others doing for cube van insurance? I asked for a quote from my ins.co. and what I got back just about gave me a heart attack... $4290 for full coverage! They told me there is no such classification as personaly use only for a commercial vehicle?

I'm sure other aren't paying this much, are you? It's not like I'm 20 something either :-(

Any suggestions? Any companies you'd recommend me trying?

Someone (Paddy?) suggested some autosports policy that is being arranged, I checked the link, but I couldn't find anything definitive there, even for rally cars... I don't think it's quite ready yet.

Thanks for any help...Martin.

·
Banned
2,738 Posts
Talk to Jay Streets and he'll tell you what he did to his to reduce his insurance. Very simple mod.

·
Registered
240 Posts
If you van is under 10,000 lbs you should not have to worry.
and it can be considered a passenger vehicle non commercial.
Mine is just insured as a "van"

Edit: just realized I was in the CAN forum.. this may be useless info ro you folks up there.. sorry.

-Brian

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
>Talk to Jay Streets and he'll tell you what he did to his to
>reduce his insurance. Very simple mod.

How would I get in touch with Jay Streets to talk to him?

thanks...Martin.

·
Registered
28 Posts
In Michigan I was able to re-title my cube van as an RV when I bought it (used). I made a travel area in the front of the box that qualified it for being an RV (I think it needed a sleeping area and an eating area).

This allowed me to get out of the commercial plate requirement and changed my insurance rate.

In Michigan commercial plates are usually required for vehicles over 8000lbs.

I hope this helps,
Chris Whiteman

·
Registered
433 Posts
Jay Streets I believed did the same thing...as that is what he told me to do..I insured mine as an RV...My insurance wouldnt insure it as a Commercial Vehicle. Lie just like you do when you insure your Rally car....Did I say that..

You will need to have your truck re-classified as an RV..find out what your province requires to do this..here in California we have to go see the Highway Patrol.

Greg

1 - 7 of 7 Posts