Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the manufacturers flee the series for various reasons albeit mostly financial, will Subaru now follow? In many ways, having the manufacturers participating has really diminished the number of private open class competitors running the entire national series. Most were relegated to gp N to compete for relatively meager contingency monies. Costs have gotten to everyone including the so-called big bucks factory teams. My own opinion is that Subaru ought to pull out also and all the manufacturers just put up contingency money instead. If they just used 25% of the original budgets to put up event prize money and year end money for using the brand, they would see the return of the independent private teams and it would make the top classes of rallying even stronger. Not having to field their own team would attract other manufacturers like Ford, GM, Toyota etc. as they would all be the same level, putting in the same money as other manufacturers. This would also get us away from the constant bickering about rules favoritism. Your thoughts?

J.Nelson
#382:p

·
Registered
583 Posts
John,

The official "Vision Statement" should be revised for 2005.

It's time for the "Club" to begin reconnecting again. The old Vision Statement has either run it's course, or not panned out, depending on your point of view.

Rich Smith

Vive le "Pro-le-Ralliat"

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Let's say that there was a vision statement for 6 manufacturers to get involved in open class. Can you conceive of an independent even trying to compete in the class..... thus open would be a club rally only deal. Only in F1, WRC and ALMS do you have direct manufacturer involvement/participation. In other racing, manufacturers put up contingency money/prize money to help build competition. US PRORally is too small a world for direct
manufacturer involvement...... BUT if they supported it with money to competitors, many more people would get into open and gpN especially if the money was large. Let us assume Subaru, Mitsubishi and Hyndai were spending $1 mill each to compete each season. If they used only 1/4 th of that, $250K to prize monies for mark users, it would be the single biggest cause of growth in the sport.
J Nelson

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Welp, who is going to join the fray? Manufacturers may come to a rally and see what is going on, but they see what Subaru and Mitsu (until now) are doing and won't touch it until they have a 4wd turbo compact on the showroom floor. Most won't do what Hyundai did...build a "special." And Hyundai realized it too. Subaru and Mitsu are the only ones who have a car in that segment. Rumors have arisen about other manufacturers and we will have to wait and see, but if you're counting on Detroit being there, it is unlikely...at least not as big as Subaru does it now...even if/when they build these cars (or rebadge their Japanese brothren). Why? They reach way more buyers through other programs that are already going (NASCAR). Subaru has seen record sales numbers, its true, for their WRX, but it is a niche vehicle. These "record" numbers are tiny compared to F150 sales. NASCAR fans buy F150s.

Now if the series shrunk to companies supporting privateers...like Dodge does for the boys or Mazda does for me or Sub. did for GN or Audi did for JB or Toyota did for Ralph, then I think you will see other companies willing to dip their feet in. The expenditure to go after Subaru is too big for the spoils in American rallying, especially when other forms of racing offer so much more for the buck.

Just my opinion. I will miss Mitsubishi being there. It was a great show.

·
Registered
46 Posts
next subaru?!!!

10-01-03
"Manufacures should only offer racer support NOT factory teams, at this time in the US Rally Series.
just my opinion"
Eric Eaton
http://franticfour.com/

Now hopefully we'll see support programs to help private teams earn there way around the series (parts, contingency & technical assistance).

The one make class/series would be cool also!

·
Faster Mabricator
3,611 Posts
ProRally

Take a peek at the top 10 drivers in SCCA ProRally listed to the left of the SpecialStage screen. How many of those drivers have already claimed they will not be back next year and how many others have yet to do so? Adding to that is all the lesser teams who have been pushed and shoved aside to the ClubRally ranks.
With dwindling entries, its the ProRally organizers who will be hurt most as well as perhaps AFR and Subaru who may have to pick up what funds Mitsubishi won't be contributing this year.

·
Banned
2,738 Posts
RE: ProRally

If that's the case, sell the cars they have, build something cheap (and have money left in the bank) and come and have a ball in club rally. We're going to be around for quite a while if people want somewhere to play!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
RE: ProRally

Ah... reminds me of one of my old posts to low cost rallying..... let us all buy old police montecarlos and fords at auction and call it the Blue's Brothers Rally Team.

I do think that if the manufacturers just contribute to a prize fund for their make, it will stimulate US Rally like nothing else could. It makes it easier for other manufacturers to enter without having to develop rally cars. I have felt for a long time that the US series needs american cars and finally dodge has stepped up, so where are GM and Ford....?:D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts