Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
3/14=my 42nd rally anniversary
3,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you care for a peek at some Trespassers Wil and Rally in the 100 Acre Wood roads, visit the crude webpage I just hammered together -http://www.realautosport.com/pics/Beetle/100AW-04/100AW04.htm

There you will find are the raw shots I took during course pre-check Friday and yesterday along with a few comments.

Additional info:

- If the warming trend forcast for the Salem, MO. area stands up this week I believe we will see little if any of the ice and snow covered roads I had to deal with. My last-minute codriver (Sean Teegarden, SORT owner) and I witnessed some clearing during our two days on the roads and temperatures are supposed to be even higher (in the 40s and 50s) during the intervening week. I can tell you that anything NOT thawed will be slicker than ice!

The 2004 running of TW/100AW should be a real treat. Wish I was competing ...

Halley ...
ProRally #86
http://www.realautosport.com

·
Registered
45 Posts
Current forcast from one source is for 60 by Thursday, if you are one who belives they can actually forcast the weather!;)

·
your other left, you idiot
3,909 Posts
So, Mike-

What tires were you running?

press on,

·
3,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
>So, Mike-
>
>What tires were you running?
>
>press on,

Trey and I spent the better part of two days confirming what has been shared on this forum each time a discussion regarding the use of rally tires in snow or on ice has appeared - gravel rally tires SUCK on snow and ice. I pulled off a driving feat rivaling our escape from muddy Del Sur last year when I managed to NOT skitter off the road when a crest revealed an ice-covered 3R downhill off-camber turn that I was going too fast to negotiate without the help of uttering LOUDLY a mantra of nine fecal references in less than 2 seconds! Until about the eighth or ninth utterance I was convinced we'd be hiring a wrecker ...

Halley ...
ProRally #86

·
Left seat and not British!
785 Posts
Well, if you can believe the weather person, ice will not be the problem. Warm, dry and breezy most of the week with showers possible Friday, then partly sunny Satruday....that's IF you can beleive the weather person. Roads here can be slippy if wet since they are frequently clay based.

Kim DeMotte
Official Old Fart, etc.

·
3,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
>Oh crap....
>
>Well, now I have more stuff to deal with before we leave at
>5am tomorrow morning.
>
>Steven Perret
>Car# 226
>Driftin4 Racing
>[email protected]

Were I running the rally over the roads in the shape they were in last weekend I'm certain that any decision to run Hakkas, Blizzaks or other purpose-built snow tires would have been a bigger mistake than sticking with gravel tires and just dealing with the icy spots. Overall, there really was much more gravel than there was ice or snow, hard-packed or otherwise. I'm not saying don't bring your Hakkas, but I sure wouldn't suggest that anyone buy a set with the anticipation of using them in Missouri. Given the clearing we noticed during the days we were there (thanks to warming and added traffic) I'm confident the icy spots will be few and far between if not gone all together.

Halley ...
ProRally #86

·
R3 Slippy
79 Posts
Kim,

Any more detailed information on leg or stage schedule? Just trying to get a jump on the service planning since I have people coming from all over.

Thanks for all the hard work so far, and we'll see you on Friday!

Chris

·
Left seat and not British!
785 Posts
This is all in the service packet, but if it helps I'll put it out here now.

Friday....service in Parc Expose in Ellington....major service in Bunker after 4 stages (reseed). Please don't bring trailers to Ellington as there is no place to put them in Bunker.

Saturday...no service in Parc Expose....Major service in Steelville (reseed) after 2 stages. Service in Viburnum after 2 more (fairly short) and 3 stages home.

Does that help?

Kim DeMotte
Official Old Fart, etc.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts