Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rally Development Group's website remains the definitive source for TV schedules, but anyone who can watch Sportsnet East tonight at 7PM Eastern, will see our Year in Review show in English.

RDG will be releasing a DVD of the whole season including the Season Review plus a special 5-minute marketing video on an attractively-wrapped 2-disc DVD set. Watch this space.

·
Registered
149 Posts
RE:

Thank you for the "heads up" Lawrence ...and while I have your attention... have you had any contact on CRC T.V. for the 2005 season? ... at least any you can comment on :)

Quig

·
1973 WRC POR
2,421 Posts
RE:

>Rally Development Group's website remains the definitive
>source for TV schedules, but anyone who can watch Sportsnet
>East tonight at 7PM Eastern, will see our Year in Review
>show in English.

Lawrence:

Just saw the end of year show. Very nice. I must congratulate you on how you have managed to make each show different this year. A lot of nice insights on this last show and kudos for giving Subaru Canada, Trish and Tom credit for what they have done for Canadian rallying.

BTW, what kinds of reactions have you been getting to the shows from the network, the public, etc?

Doug Woods

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
RE: Reaction

Thanks for the kind words, Doug. Reaction has varied. Judging by Specialstage.com, the PFR program was the best. Sportsnet loved Tall Pines because of the wide-screen hi-def thing, but I didn't hear a peep from the Specialstage crowd, so I'll assume it wasn't a favorite. Keith and Jud at RDG were complimentary after Tall Pines, but they have been very supportive all season. Here at TV2GO, we think Baie was the best show. I loved the ACP vs. Richard showdown at the end.

The TV shows can only be as good as the competition itself. When the top drivers all show up, Canadian rallying makes a great program. On that basis, I'd rate the 2004 season as the most exciting since we started televising rallies regularly back in 1993.

·
Registered
935 Posts

I for one, loved the Tall Pines show and thought it was the best of the season. Possibly due to all the coverage 2wd and Antoine recieved as more and more people dropped out, but who knows.

-Patrick (Also eagerly awaiting a DVD, since Sportsnet Ontario hasn't listed the review show yet...)

·
straight at T
2,472 Posts

>Thanks for the kind words, Doug. Reaction has varied.
>Judging by Specialstage.com, the PFR program was the best.
>Sportsnet loved Tall Pines because of the wide-screen hi-def
>thing, but I didn't hear a peep from the Specialstage crowd,

Maybe because few of those who saw it actually got to see it in the wide-screen hi-def format? I certainly didn't. It was a good show - at least on a par with the PFR show (IMO, of course).

>so I'll assume it wasn't a favorite. Keith and Jud at RDG
>were complimentary after Tall Pines, but they have been very
>supportive all season. Here at TV2GO, we think Baie was the
>best show. I loved the ACP vs. Richard showdown at the end.

I thought all of the shows were good. Baie was spoiled for me because I only got to see it with the Sportsnet side and bottom banners (for the entire show!).

Adrian
(waiting for a DVD)

·
Registered
233 Posts

Argh, I missed the broadcast. Suggest also letting people on the rally-ontario list knowing a day before the broadcast. I don't 'live' on SS. If the price is reasonable I'd be interested in the DVD.

I have enjoyed what I have seen this year, Lawrence.

Craig

·
Registered
20 Posts

Me too! I understand that this only REALLY applies when two drivers are close in time, but I truly hope this becomes a regular part of the broadcasts. Overall, great coverage all year! The amount of material you guys managed to jam into 20 minutes of program time for each event is extremely impressive... now, if only Sportsnet had an interest in one hour chunks so that non-open class drivers could get some screen time.

Also, thanks very much for the heads-ups all year as the broadcasts drew close. I probably would have missed them all if not for your reminders, and that would have been bad.

Buy yourself a beer and pretend that it's on me!

S

·
Registered
328 Posts

The people I bugged into watching the series, thought Tall Pines was the best because of all the crashes.

I suspect the popularity of PFR, if measured through the SpecialStage forum, may have something to do with Canada West being one of the most active/vocal forums.

As an aside, I was recently copied with an email requesting a copy of the PFR footage to show to the local ham radio clubs before next year's rally. They the piece on how ham radio clubs help to make a rally work. They appreciated being appreciated.

This year's footage has done a lot for the sport. Well done.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Year in Review on TV again

The show was on again this afternoon (nice work, Lawrence!) and according to Sportsnet it will air again on Sunday.

Atlantic area: 10am
Quebec: 9am
Pacific: 12 noon

anywhere else ... I didnt check but I'm sure it'll be on sometime on Sunday so go to www.sportsnet.ca and have a peek.

Thanks for the hard work this season, Lawrence (and your team!!)

- Nathalie

·
Registered
803 Posts
RE: Year in Review on TV again

for the 'laymen' i deal with, baie was the best show because anytime there was a car on screen, it LOOKED like it was seriously moving and LOOKED sketchy (reality aside, that s what keeps people glued, I am talking laymen here not rally people). the cars may have been going just as fast in other rallies but maybe it was how it was shot/edited/voiced/storied.

all of the other shows had maybe a partial channel flipping moment here or there (again for the prevously uninterested but now interestde layman, WHICH WE ALL ONCE WERE AT SOME POINT), brief, but there. it could also be because the boys have picked out the best baie shooting spots over the last 10 years in your absence :) wink wink

the trish/tom/soc tribute was well fitting and deserved

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Baie Show Best but why

Pat:

I agree about Baie being the best show and give credit to director Claude Gariepy for the coverage. But it's the action that makes the show, not the shooting. Truth is, you were pushing harder in the C leg at Baie than we've ever seen before and THAT made for great TV. Watching your in-car tape, we figure you're either going to go off OR Nathalie will swallow her tongue. Either way, we had to watch! Same applied to ACP.

When the drivers are in cruise mode, the interest at home plummets no matter where we put the cameras.

That said, Baie offers some uniquely exciting camera opportunities. We make maximum use of the crowds of spectators as background. If there are hundreds of people standing there cheering in most of the shots, a casual viewer gets the idea that the whole course is lined like that. Of course, that isn't true or we would have lost insurance years ago. A wise network sports exec told me, many years ago, to never show an empty grandstand because a viewer at home will worry that they might be the only one watching. We all want to be in good company with a "hot ticket" no matter what the sport. If the stands are full, this show must be worth watching.

Another thing casual audiences like, even if they don't understand, is pace-notes. The WRC shows have proven that to me that it's not the actual words being spoken, but the tone that is important. Whether it's English, Finnish or Spanish, when the co-driver's voice sounds frightened you know you're watching something rare and exciting. That aspect is unique to rallying. The emotional moments we luck into with in-car cameras and intercoms are never duplicated in interviews.

I know those "tune out" moments you refer to. The dramatic arc requires that you have to have some lows to make the exciting bits stand out (why else would millions watch MLB) and to make the story coherent, but our grazing audience has little patience and they move on when the eye candy stops. Interviews generally and night action always, are a great chance to check out the decorating shows on HGTV.

We live in a fickle world, but sketchy rules.

·
Registered
42 Posts
RE: Baie Show Best but why

Hey Lawrence...Keep Up the good work (here's hoping for a budget in 2005)

2 things..

1: I totally agree with the "Empty Grand stand" statement...sometimes I'll be surfing and catch a sports car race at Daytona or some other Nascar "Enormitorium" that usually seats 200,000 but during what is actually better racing there apears to be only 14 people in the stands...seems kinda bleak...ditracts from the racing...makes me change the channel

2: Disclaimer: I'm _NOT_ trying to tell you how to do your Job.
But Now I'm gonna gonna go ahead and try and tell you how to do your Job }> }>

I recently watched a CRC round and a WRC round back to back...and I got to comparing the filming styles...If we ingnore the fact that the WRC guys just have WAY more good footage to choose from...heres what I decided..

I found the biggest differnce in action shots was simply the Height of the camera..the WRC shows seem to have a lot more stuff shot at Knee height (or lower)

Seems to me that when shot from the perspective of the dirt the cars are moving much faster...Now I've spectated/ marshelled a WRC round and spectated/marshelled plenty of Canadian rounds and to be honest from the "5' 9" green eyed" perspective they aren't going a whole lot faster over there than ACP or Tom or Pat are here when they are realy on pipe.

So I must conclude that the "ground level wide angle lense" perspective helps to convey speed.

And looking back on various footage of my car wich I carefully compiled while I was running...my favorite bit of film is actually one of my earlier rallies (Voyageurs) where I know I wasn't going very fast.. You had a guy stationed at the Tee at the end of lost Channel(as usual)

The significant factor was that he was Kneeling at the Apex of the corner (I actually used him as my rotation point for the acute L)

Low and close just seems to shows better...

My 2¢ worth about 0.1¢ after taxes...

Andrew Miller

·
Registered
296 Posts
RE: Lawrance - good work

Lawrence,

It was a great pleasure to seat with my kids on these ?Rally Sunday Mornings??drink fresh coffee and watch the Canadian Rally.

Inside camera? Pat sister was fantastic as well as Tom?s offroads?and Yellow Subaru sign cut at PF was the funniest.

Definitively this year you have been able to bring totally new perspective on watching the rally.

Very positive??bringing the ?others?. Nice idea with interviewing to sponsors?

On negative? Too much Nicols (I spill coffee a few times)?another? I? missed very much Sylvain and Phillip Erickson this year.

Definitively I enjoyed every show.

Congratulation again,

Jerzy Maslanka

1 - 19 of 19 Posts