Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Slid'n around 'n havin a ball
2,953 Posts
RE: Could you have problems?

The trailers leaving our local circle track are routinely stopped and written up for violations like transporting fuel and such by the state police.
NY
rz

·
Registered
524 Posts
I think the gentleman writing about this in the forum is incorrect in one respect--you won't need a CDL. I drove professionally with a vehicle weighing 23,000 lbs and never needed a CDL. We did however need to keep a logbook, which isn't all that hard.

Also need permits in some states, etc.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
"When I haul wood, it's just to my house because I'm a freak about making wild ass jungle-gyms for my kids out of hard maple. I've found the popple jungle gyms usually don't work but I want to keep trying, Officer"

If I'm ever pressed about the topic I usually bribe the officer with lots of wood.

Invisibility is key.

760 Posts
>http://dieselplace.com/forum/showthread.php?t=55071
>
>This probably explains why I've seen some haulers and enclosed
>trailers that are COMPLETELY blank, no graphics what so ever!

This is old news guys - it has been like that for decades.

You must have commercial plates on your vehicle and therefore
commercial insurance in order to be able to display legally
sponsors' advertising.

If you have regular car plates on your vehicle, which may include
RV and in New York even large box trucks with a second row of seats
that you may be able to register as a "suburban", you may not
display any stickers or sponsor's advertising on the vehicle. If
you do, sooner or later you will get a ticket and will be ordered
to remove the decals.

Ivan Orisek

·
Dirt surfer
1,367 Posts
>So, does this apply to a guy pulling a stickered up rally car
>on an open trailer with a 3/4 ton pickup?

Don't worry about it WC, just call from jail and someone from here will come bail you out.

Dave G

PS--In Maine, you can't register a heavy-duty pickup as personal, the load rating bumps them into commercial so I think the issue is moot locally.

"...Embrace loose gravel, beware big trees..."

·
Surrender the Booty.
2,149 Posts
Now my question would be what does Maine consider heavy duty? I've started seeing some Chevy 1500 HDs around town. If they come badged as a heavy duty truck, yet still are rated under a 3/4 ton truck, what happens?

·
Registered
926 Posts
>PS--In Maine, you can't register a heavy-duty pickup as
>personal, the load rating bumps them into commercial so I
>think the issue is moot locally.

Used to be that way in Mass too. Now only over something like 10,000 GVW or commercially used lighter vehicles need commercial and so forth plates. However, CDL and other things like permits and log books didnt come in until maybe 23,000 (since I dont have, or need, a CDL this cut-over is foggy with me).

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
The DOT considers any vehicle over 10,000 lb. and driven for a business purpose a commercial vehicle (CMV). If there is commercial advertising of any kind on the rig (including the car on the trailer) it COULD be considered a CMV by a local officer. Any driver of a commercial vehicle must comply with the DOT rules, including DOT physical cards for the drivers, logbooks and hours of service rules, not to mention other things like NO alcohol in the rig unless it's on a manifest. CDLs are required to drive a CMV over 26,000 lb.

Any CMV should have a DOT number.

States have varying rules which could be stricter - like certain licenses for certain weight vehicles. If you're out of the state in which the vehicle is licensed, DOT rules apply mostly, but there are exceptions. State rules also determine whether you must stop at a weigh station. Minnesota wants every truck over 9000 lb. to stop...in Washington and Oregon, it's 23,000 IIRC.

So is your race car on a trailer a CMV? If it's under 10,000 lb., no. Over 10,000 lb. - likely. Most race cars on trailers are flying under the radar...the advertising on the sides of the rig and no DOT number visible COULD be probable cause for a stop...as could blowing by a weigh station - as one Minnesota crew found out.

One more thing - the DOT rules say RVs MAY NOT be CMVs...they are outside the rules completely. As always, your state rules may vary.

Don't pay any attention to advice you see in forums - including mine. A good OFFICIAL site is http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov.

Bruce
Have a DOT card
and a logbook

·
Insane Driver w/o a Car
136 Posts
Usually CDL Class B is 26,001 LB+ straight Trucks... I've been looking into this myself al ittle bit, seeing how I'm a Class B CDL driver myself, and from what I gather, If I were to drive a Small Mitsu-Fuso Cube, which is a Non-CDL truck, towing a trailer, I would need a Class A license.. I could be wrong.. but I'm thinking about just getting the Class A to avoid any of this... so in the future (**wink wink**) if anyone needs a truck driver... :D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts