Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
- So, Glenn, how was it?
- You did very well first day in tough & rough conditions, beating many modern cars
- What put you out 2nd day?

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Certainly an education!

I wish they'd post the stage times, we were cranking hard a lot of the first stage Friday night. 2nd stage and following transit were very rough. No car breakage just tough on the occupants (and our little 13" tires trying to get over those boulders and over the ruts).

The water bars weren't much of an issue, we had the ground clearance and travel to handle them.

Saturday we ran Del Sur (in) --- really had trouble getting going too well with such muddy conditions, quite the safari. Coming up to the turnaround in the transit, we tagged a fence (I'd say the fence lost because although it bent the bumper and scalped a badge, there was only a scratch). Our time in (20 odd mins) was actually good compared to some other modern 2WD cars (and we had 34 PSI in the tires!)

We ran Del Sur back out (took 40 mins as opposed to 20!) in much worse conditions. Ran out of windshield washer fluid... had to stop and fill up. We'd switched to 29 PSI at the turnaround, and this helped us make it out, many others were towed out later.

Anyway we made it to the end (needed to push the car twice as well) and got on the transit and the car was suffering from bad rear wheel steering.

I couldn't see a broken leaf or bolt but in a situation like that you have to decide between saving the car and pushing into the last stage. Not really knowing what was wrong I decided it was safer to DNF and head to the hotel. (one can imagine having the axle come completely off during a stage along a mountain ridge not being too much fun).

We couldn't locate the problem that night - my latest theory is we over heated the urethane rear spring front bushes due to so much movement.... and then they become more solid as they cooled down.

The car only got back tonight so I've had no chance to tear it down. We also had the front strut tops become loose --- the spherical joints are more suited to tarmac and not pounding so we'll go to RBTM (roller bearing top mounts, set in rubber) for future gravel events.

I may also change to either delrin, solid metal or high durometer rubber rear spring front bushes.

Our prior event's alternator, gear selection and overheating issues were all successfully cured. We had plenty of power and drive from the car --- it essentially spent 40 mins at a constant 5-6000 RPM in 1st or 2nd on the way out of Del Sur, other than the exhaust heating the driver up through the floor :) it ran flawlessly. (*)

(* what's that smell? My shoe melting!!)

We did win the "pride and professionalism" award for the club rally.

Glenn

PS *BIG THANKS* to Pete & co at Cascade. That shell is like a slab of granite.

·
www.christianedstrom.com
2,144 Posts
Glenn,

Gorgeous car. I stopped by and had a good long look at Pelona Vista, and you were absolutely deserving of the pride and professionalism award. The car is absolutely stunning.

One of the boys from MEM said that the car was a "very nice piece of kit!" which I think is about the highest compliment you can get, given that it's an English Ford!

- Christian

Bjorn Christian Edstrom
Co-Driver

·
Banned
2,738 Posts
Glenn, spoke to you at Pelona before the start on Sat, just before the rain, what rain? That car is a beautiful piece of work. Congrats to you and all who put it together.

·
Banned
2,738 Posts
Hey Bjorn, well done for bringing Lauchlin home in 3rd place O/A. Another great finish. His time will come and soon.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts