Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wondering who at SCCA would I contact for the most recent demographic study. Has there been any since the one published in the '03 sponsorship proposal?

My sponsors would like demographics of rallycross as well.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
It's been really difficult to produce accurate demomgraphic information for rallying over the years, mostly because it takes a concerted effort to COLLECT the information in the first place. Most organizers have a lot on their minds, and - understandably - don't consider it a priority. The spectators are a particularly hard bunch to pin down, especially at Club events. I don't know anyone who's even TRIED to gather data for rallycross.

We could find out, for example, the demographics of license holders, but that's probably not what a sponsor - event or car - is looking for. He wants to know who RUNS and WORKS and SPECTATES these events.

I would be glad to gather, collate and analyze the data if we could gather it, but unless it's fairly complete and comprehensive (that is, it comes from EVERY event) it's mostly worthless. Anybody have any ideas how we could - short of hiring somebody - get accurate data?

Bruce

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Well, at the event level, you could offer a simple incentive (like a cool decal with a cool picture on it......like you, Bruce!) in exchange for taking 5 minutes to fill out a form response. You might get the decals (or whatever trinket it is) with a sponsor's logo on it, and then maybe they would contribute them for free.

Do this when they sign the waiver. Have lots of extra pens...

For what it's worth...

Mark B.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The demographics from Sue are mostly of the members of SCCA. Mark has a good point for getting the fanbase demogrphics. Throw in some Pirelli girl wannabes with clipboards handing out stickers. Depending on how valuable the demographics could be to a company they could up the "prize" to say t-shirts or videos if you fill out the survey.
Look at alcohol,tobacco, bank companies, they set up stands/tents giving away such "gifts" if you fill out their survey.

·
Registered
107 Posts
In defense of Kurt, I think he had a better handle on the marketing/business aspect of the sport. The current managment seems to have more operational expertise; which was much needed.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Anybody have any ideas how we could -
>short of hiring somebody - get accurate data?

Turnstiles at Parc Expose for anyone without a wristband?

I'll see if we can get someone. I know that Mazda has used marketing interns/college students as grunts at many races for both hospitality and for gathering marketing data. I'll see if I can get some names of some colleges.

·
Registered
583 Posts
>Anybody have any ideas how we could - short of hiring somebody - get accurate data?<

Bruce,

Know anyone at "Rally U"? Perhaps a marketing group of students would be interested in developing a proper poll. Limited polls properly developed are very reliable.

I suspect the target groups that sponsors may be interested in identifying are, mostly, not the same folks that actually participate or spectate at rallies.

Rich Smith

Vive le "Pro-le-Ralliat"

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
>I suspect the target groups that sponsors may be interested
>in identifying are, mostly, not the same folks that actually
>participate or spectate at rallies.

You mean affluent 18-45 y.o. males who make buying decisions about everything from cars and tires to all sorts of durable and non-durable goods, most of whom drink alcohol, and are techno-savvy?

Yeah, what a crappy market. (j/k, of course...sorta):+

·
Registered
483 Posts
Make Rally Demographics Public?

I dont suppose someone could actually make the demographics that are available public, could they?

I think this information is important, and having Sue get a thousand e-mails might not be a good idea (or maybe it would).

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
All of the METHODS suggested are fine, but the problem is one of staffing...no matter what method you use, it's labor-intensive. Most rallies aren't so flush with workers that they can dedicate some to gathering data. And yes, Lurch, we can get some college class to do the work...but then there's the problem of shipping them to all the rallies, which becomes expensive fast.

We can get demographics for any one event fairly easily, but the whole series...or worse yet, ClubRally...takes a huge effort.

That said, demo information for rallycross might be easier to get...I'll bring that up with the RallyCross National Manager.

Bruce

·
Registered
583 Posts
>You mean affluent 18-45 y.o. males who make buying decisions
>about everything from cars and tires to all sorts of durable
>and non-durable goods, most of whom drink alcohol, and are
>techno-savvy?
>
>Yeah, what a crappy market. (j/k, of course...sorta):+

Eric,

It's easy to identify to the 3,000 (or so) affluent males you describe that are involved with American Rallying. But, standing alone they offer scant incentive to a national or regional sponser.

The problem is to demonstrate that these guys truly represent some substantial portion of the 19 MILLION other guys in this same age/income group; and they are NOT just a splinter group of odd-balls. Then you show that these 19 MILLION other guys can (somehow) be sucessfully marketed through Rally sponsorship.

Rich Smith

(19 MILLION derived from 2000 U.S.Census showing 138 million males; and my guess that 50% are within target age group and 28% are considerd affluent. There is a LOT of competition for their earnings with wives, ex-wives, girlfriends and children and mortgage companies getting first crack at it. :+ )

1 - 14 of 14 Posts