Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
50 L3/CR 70 Yump 200
997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For their outstanding 4th place overall! (and 1st in gr.N) congratulations to Peter Thomson and Brian Maxwell.

·
50 L3/CR 70 Yump 200
997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That they did, Mr.Maxwell claims is has something to do with the Canadian version of Tim Horton's coffee having more punch than what we get here in the U.S.
you'll have to ask him about it. hehe ;)

·
Faster Mabricator
3,611 Posts
>has something to do with
>the Canadian version of Tim Horton's coffee having more
>punch than what we get here in the U.S.

Is there Tim Horton's in the US? I didn't even know who Tim Horton was until I had to ask the cashier while buying breakfast at TallPines.

·
Registered
76 Posts
>Is there Tim Horton's in the US? I didn't even know who Tim
>Horton was until I had to ask the cashier while buying
>breakfast at TallPines.

Did she drop her jaw in astonishment??

As a long term Tim's Addict I need to inform my Southern brothers that yes Tim's ( this is the term heavy users prefer)is available in selected US Markets. These enlightened areas include Maine, New York, Ohio and Florida.

I think the reason that Big Horn was moved to Edson was because Hinton did'nt have a Tim Hortons!? Any truth to the rumour that Baie is moving to Campbellton for the same reason??

On a more serious note way to Kick Butt Gentleman. I am ashamed to say I did not select you to win the Group N in the STPR Pickems pole.
My profound apologies.

·
Loose nut behind the wheel
1,074 Posts
Mary (my wife) told me I had to post something about our Tim Horton ritual. We travel through the great white north on our way to and from Maine. On the trip home one year, Mary and I stopped just into Canada and bought 1.5 dozen filled, glazed and otherwise very bad for you goodies and a half a gallon of chocolate milk. That and two tanks of fuel for the van got us all the way across and to Manistique, MI BEFORE the Pizza Hut closed! You now have my speed secret, donuts, chocolate milk and pizza.

Mark WWJD Utecht

P.S. A dozen Timbits to the first that can tell me the meaning of my WWJD middle name. There is a time limit!

·
Registered
213 Posts
"What Would Jesus Do?". Although perhaps since we're in a Rally Forum, maybe it's "What Would Juha Do?" And since you're American, maybe it's "What Would John (Buffum) Do?"

And for those of you who don't know, Tim Horton was an NHL hockey player for the Buffalo Sabres, who grew up in Northern Ontario (Timmins, I think). After his playing career was over, he started a donut shop with his best friend, and very shortly thereafter, died in a car crash in 1974. His best friend built several more donut shops, then franchised the operation, and the rest is history.......

Dave

·
1,074 Posts
>"What Would Jesus Do?". Although perhaps since we're in a
>Rally Forum, maybe it's "What Would Juha Do?" And since
>you're American, maybe it's "What Would John (Buffum) Do?"

All good possibilities but you're not there yet. I greatly appreciate the effort and the rally tie-in.

Yes, this "WWJD" all started as a christian slogan but like the "Got Milk" campaign, many different versions have come up in the pursuit of good humor.

Like I said, nice try but you are not there yet.

Hint, we saw this on a bumper sticker and almost crashed as we were laughing so hard.

Mark Utecht

·
Registered
274 Posts
Tim Horton's Invaded Ohio and moved into Wendys' locations
at first. Then they started opening their own standalones
all over. Decent sandwiches and good donuts. I like
the Timbits ;) (not a coffee guy, sorry)

They are so much a part of Canadian culture, they are
at every airport it seems,most citys, and people use phrases like
"Just drive that Evo like you're headed down to Tim Hortons"
F.Sprongl to ACP 2/2001

Ed

·
50 L3/CR 70 Yump 200
997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Jellies ? hmm, I was thinking Crullers (esp the ones w/ chocolate on top. and those special DOUBLE chocolate TimBits they had out last summer, yummy.

OK Foot- Give w/the WWJD thing

-jeff secor (not sure if I REALLY want to know what Mark is gonna say)

·
Slid'n around 'n havin a ball
2,953 Posts
Dave,
http://collections.ic.gc.ca/wentworth/timhorto.htm

"Although Tim Hortons had operated in nearby Buffalo since the 1970's, Joyce, considered the Wendy's/Tim Hortons merger a great way to expand into the U.S. market, under the merger, forty stores were opened in Detroit and another forty in the Columbus, Ohio area. He also began expanding the store by introducing some non-traditional storefronts, such as carts, drive-through-only locations, and small outlets in universities, sports arenas, the CN Tower, and duty-free stores at the U.S.-Canadian border."

rz

·
1,074 Posts
Riddle solved

Brian J was the closest but the correct response is;

Who Wants Jelly Donuts?

Mark WWJD Utecht

·
R6 L6 R6< 800
200 Posts
RE: Congrats Peter & Brian/Tim's

As my feeble memory serves me, Tim Horton's carreer was far from over as he was a player/coach for the Buffalo Sabers. Uncommon then and unheard of now. He was a popular and long time Toronto player before moving to Buffalo, so when Buffalo was playing Toronto, Tim received permission to drive his personal car (Pantera, I believe) to Toronto so he could stay for some social time and not take the team bus back to Buffalo.
Sadly, the car crashed in a construction area in the early hours near St. Catherines and Tim was killed. Speculation as to reasons appeard obvious at the time.
Further info on the business is clouded as Tim's wife ended up in legal action against the former partner over the value of the business when she sold out.

·
Faster Mabricator
3,611 Posts
>>"Just drive that Evo like you're headed down to Tim Hortons"
>F.Sprongl to ACP 2/2001

Does that mean to stuff it into a logjam hole?
What a night that was.

·
Registered
232 Posts
RE: Congrats Peter & Brian/Tim's

What Peter said is true. Also referring back to the original post, actually started the donut business while he was playing for the Leafs. While I now live in the Boston area, I grew up in Shelburne, Ontario and clearly remember attending a game at the Gardens and buying a programme with a picture of Tim Horton making donuts. (What a defense: Horton & Stanley and Brewer & Baun!)

Steve McKelvie

·
Registered
118 Posts
>Tim Horton's Invaded Ohio and moved into Wendys' locations
>at first. Then they started opening their own standalones
>all over. Decent sandwiches and good donuts. I like
>the Timbits ;) (not a coffee guy, sorry)
>
>They are so much a part of Canadian culture, they are
>at every airport it seems,most citys, and people use phrases
>like

I hate to disappoint our Canadian cousins, but Dave Thomas liked Tim Horton's so much he bought the company. That's right, Wendy's now owns Tim Horton's.

They're headuqartered here in Columbus, Ohio, is which also the home of White Castle and Victoria's Secret. There's some hidden meaning there, but I haven't been able to figure it out.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts