Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Marketing through Motorsports
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just returned from the Gorman Ridge Club Rally, a great event. (See the CRS boards.)

One of the nice things I noticed: competitors without a ride volunteered as control workers. Tom and Ole are the two names that come to mind immediately, but I seem to recall there were others.

I think it's a great way to give back a little something to your local events when you're not able to run. Thanks very much, folks!

John

----------------------
John Dillon       John @ WidgetRacing.com
            www.WidgetRacing.com

EDIT: I've seen a similar phenom at other places, with names like Bodnar, Hocker, Wood, Gibeault, Allison, Buffum, Gingras, Tabor, McArthur, Bohn, and several others beyond immediate recollection.

P.S. Who is that Josh Tabor guy anyway? Thought I saw his name on a Road Rally results sheet somewhere. Are there any more out in the forest somewhere beyond the six or seven we usually see?

P.P.S. Bonus prize: name 'em.

·
Registered
452 Posts
>EDIT: I've seen a similar phenom at other places, with names
>like Bodnar, Hocker, Wood, Gibeault, Allison, Buffum,
>Gingras, Tabor, McArthur, Bohn, and several others beyond
>immediate recollection.

We believe in giving back to the sport, so if we aren't going to compete, we work. Working is how we first got into this sport and still provides us with a way to be involved.

>P.S. Who is that Josh Tabor guy anyway? Thought I saw his
>name on a Road Rally results sheet somewhere. Are there any
>more out in the forest somewhere beyond the six or seven we
>usually see?

He is a non-related Tabor, but is rather enjoying the sudden "name-recognition" that he has. He's a pretty good road rallyist, for a beginner! BTW, there are more than 6 or 7, including wifes, plus, you gotta take into account that some of us are also breeding....

>P.P.S. Bonus prize: name 'em.

I'll let everyone else have a shot at this. Winner gets a slightly used Silverstone....

Mark Tabor
http://www.taborrallyteam.com

·
Registered
291 Posts
I can name all the Tabors...I think!!!!

Ok....Mom and Dad aka Janice and Bruce

Matt(the oldest) and Monika Tabor

Mark and Jennifer...looks like we have a mystery guest coming!!!

Kristen Tabor & Scott w/Sol the dog!!

Jon(the youngest) & Darlene Tabor

I know we don't have the car put back together, but we will need tires!!!! ;)

Do I count???

I would like to send a huge thank you to the whole family...as they do devote so much time to rally!!!

Thanks,
Tina

·
Registered
229 Posts
Jay Streets also worked a start and finish control with us. It's a lot of fun for the workers to be able to talk with people like that, as some of us are doing this to gain experience that will hopefully someday be used in the driver's or co-driver's seat.

-Andy

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Oh do not forget Pat McMahon. He was a competitor from 1974 up to 1989 and then Paula got him to start helping her on Rim and has been there since helping other rallys...because he feels giving back to the rally community that help him when he competed. He went up against Hocker, Buffum, Harvey, Millen, Gibeaults, Lon Peterson etc.
Maybe coming out of retirement in the future.

Denise McMahon

·
Registered
68 Posts
As a stage Captian I always like having drivers or co drivers
to work with.Everyone gets to know everyone and after that its
easer to talk with someone if there is a problem at a stage.
Dave

·
Registered
100 Posts
Us Tabors got our start in performance rally by working. So you can blame Oregon Rally Group! :) And we always try to help out in organizing Oregon Trail, whether it's spending a day or two copying the route book (that means volunteering our copy machine, about 5 cases of paper, and two comb binding machines), ordering the pizza, or having everyone over to our office for a nice place to meet. :) Or picking up trash at the campground at ORV! (Note to everyone who was there: when the organizers say that they want people to help pick up the trash, they do mean everyone :p)

It's sad that some competitors wouldn't even think about volunteering to work if they weren't competing. It's sad that some competitors don't feel any sort of need or obligation to help out, that they just expect organizers to put on an event for them. I know I'm generalizing, and not all of the competitors are this way, but that's one reason why I'll never go Pro. Because they're the ones, even the quasi pros, who are the most like primadonnas.

:) We love our workers!

KT

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
I'd like to know why competitors don't work? What drives/motivates them? 2 years ago at BRS when I flipped my car (3rd event ever for me driving in my newly prepared car) on the first stage, once I got it on the trailer in the rain, I went and worked. I would never do otherwise. I guess maybe it's because I started in this sport working/organizing. There are probably alot of people that have never worked??????

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Well I think that all competitors Pro or club should help out one way or another. On that note the ones that started out as workers and then competitors have a better understanding what the control workers are doing and going through internally at that stage. One thing that competitors do not see if there may be a problem either at start or finish either with a radio not working or a finish clock all of a sudden freezes and in the nick of time it gets fixed just about when the first car is coming. All of the sudden you do not have enough people to work a stage because of a worker no-show. There could be many reasons why things look okay to a driver and saying the rally came off excellant, but does not see the internal things that are happening. It happen at Laughlin with the TAG HEUR (I may not be spelling that right) clocks; the printer on the second stage froze, and they had to find another way to getting a time. We had a girl(Brittany Schmid) who did a great job of getting a time at the precise moment that a car was coming just around the corner and one of the beam towers fell over; she was able to get it up and calibrated and back over to the printer to get a time. So these are just some of the worker stories I know about that the competitors do not know and/or see.
Also when they come into a finsh control and start saying "hurry up with my time-card!"; when they do not understand that the stage capt or worker is double checking the time out or his/her math to make sure it is correct before they leave out of the control zone.

To me that it is okay if it stays internally and the rally goes off fanastic, but at the same time some competitors do not see how tired and/or stressed out some workers/stage captains are that have to fix or explain the problem when they get back to headquarters.

I also have to say that the communications workers (that should not be left out of this loop) are trying to get their equipment up and running and then a problem arises or not enough blockadges for a stage so how in a short period of time do we fix this problem. It becomes a critcal situation at that moment on how to fix it. Once it is done again the competitors do not know anything was wrong.

But in the same breath.... there are competitors that give out candy or thank-you notes to the workers to show their appreciation(yes..I am talking about John Dillon and company). There are competitors who never worked an event that have come out and learned how to work a control and found out it is much easier competing then working and then there are some that work the event and loved it.

So in the end I say it is a 50 percent that do not understand or appreciate(Pro/club), and then there is the other half that reaaaally do understand what a stage/communcation workers go through if there is a problem.
Do note that there are workers that love coming back even if problems did happen, because they enjoy watching what cars are coming through..how they sound...what design they have on the car or just loves being involved in helping out.

Denise McMahon

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
Yes, candy. I've been on the receiving end already but have to admit that as a driver I'ver never given. Note to myself. Must remember that for BRS :9

1 - 11 of 11 Posts