Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
slow is slow....
792 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Group

I?m going to Europe for 2-3 months this fall and since I?m missing all of the local rallies I thought I?d try to find some club rallies in Europe to run. I?ll be in London from mid September to late October and then Italy from mid October to late November.

There are a couple issues I need to address before leaving.

Licensing issue:

I assume I?ll need a local license of some sort. I think I need a National Class B licenses for he UK but I?m not sure what I need for Italy. Will my SCCA Club rally license suffice or should I upgrade to a Pro license to make it easier to get a foreign license?

Car rental issue:

If anyone knows of reputable ?rally car for hire? shops in either country I would appreciate it. Not looking to rent a WRC car but a Group N car of some sort would be nice to keep the competition fairly even.

Co-Driver issue:

Any ideas how to find a co-driver?

Any insight from the guys that do this on a regular basis? Pat R., Peter W., Alex G.

Thanks in advance

Andrew Sutherland

·
Road books are for transits.
926 Posts
I?m going to Europe for 2-3 months this fall and since I?m missing all of the local rallies I thought I?d try to find some club rallies in Europe to run. I?ll be in London from mid September to late October and then Italy from mid October to late November.

There are a couple issues I need to address before leaving.

Licensing issue:

I assume I?ll need a local license of some sort. I think I need a National Class B licenses for he UK but I?m not sure what I need for Italy. Will my SCCA Club rally license suffice or should I upgrade to a Pro license to make it easier to get a foreign license?
HI ANDREW.
WE DID COMPETE IN WALES WITH OUR FIA LICENSES, SO IF YOU CAN GET ONE, THAT'S ALL YOU NEED. SAME IN ITALY, BUT JUST THE SCCA CLUBRALLY/PRORALLY WILL WORK AS WELL AS LONG AS YOU DON'T COMPETE IN AN INTERNATIONAL LISTED EVENT.

Car rental issue:

If anyone knows of reputable ?rally car for hire? shops in either country I would appreciate it. Not looking to rent a WRC car but a Group N car of some sort would be nice to keep the competition fairly even.
WELL, IN ITALY YOU HAVE A HUGE CHOICE ESPECIALLY IF YOU LOOK AT A SMALL DISPLACEMENT N2 OR N3. A SHOP LOCATED IN THE MIDDLE OF THE COUNTRY IS STYLCAR (WWW.STYLCAR.IT)
PAOLO SOTTOSANTI IS THE OWNER AND IS AN EASY GOING BLOKE, TELL HIM THAT ALEX FROM CALIFORNIA GAVE YOU THE CONTACT.
HIS CARS ARE NEATLY PREPARED AND WITH TOP PARTS

Co-Driver issue:

Any ideas how to find a co-driver?
A MOTOR CLUB WOULD DO IT IN UK, SAME IN ITALY BUT THE NUMBER OF PEOPLE THAT CAN SPEAK ENGLISH THERE IS LIMITED.
CHECK WWW.RALLYLINK.IT FOR ITALY AND WWW.RALLYCODRIVER.CO.UK OR WWW.BRITISHRALLY.CO.UK
Any insight from the guys that do this on a regular basis? Pat R., Peter W., Alex G.
YES, GO SEE AN EVENT IN ADVANCE IF YOU CAN. ALSO ONCE YOU GET TO ITALY BUY AN ISSUE OF TUTTORALLY FOR NUMEROUS LINKS, MAPS OF EVENTS, REPORTS, TESTS OF RALLY CARS, INTERVIEWS, ETC.
Thanks in advance

Andrew Sutherland
HOPE THAT HELPS.
HAVE FUN!
ALEX GELSOMINO

Andrew Sutherland
Universal Rally Racing
http://64.65.11.83/gallery/Rally/Firenze_Prato_2001/montagni_foto/Baldi_Tacchini.jpg

·
Registered
803 Posts
>WE DID COMPETE IN WALES WITH OUR FIA LICENSES, SO IF YOU CAN
>GET ONE, THAT'S ALL YOU NEED.

not entirely correct. To enter an International event (i.e. Internationally listed and run to International regulations) you need international FIA license. You can get this from your ASN (in Canada it is "ASN CANADA FIA" and in the US it is "ACCUS" and there are a few others that can issue it).

That license IS NOT VALID for 'less than International status' events in Europe.

Your SCCA Club/Pro license is also NOT VALID for 'less than international status' events in Europe, although depending on how sticky the organizers are, they may let you through.

The proper, official method of entering 'less than International events' is to revoke your Pro/ClubRally license and in conjunction with that have your hosting ASN issue you a local license for Europen use. This is done very often for international drivers on a one-off basis, i.,e a visiting driver attending a less than international event. Then you give them back their license and you go home and your license is re-instated. Usually, although this is not the proper, formal method, no license is actually revoked, your home ASN just sends them a fax saying it is and for them to go ahead and issue you a license.

If you plan on staying longer, you just keep their license and keep your home license revoked. If you plan to cross borders frequently and do 'less than international events' on both sides, you need to continually revoke and re-issue. That is part of the Europen ASNs rules. If you are from an EU country or a country on a list of about 10 non-EU nations, your national licenses are accepted across international borders (althogh this rule is changing for next year).

Lastly, if you plan to do both 'less than international' and 'internatinal' events abroad, and dont plan on coming home soon, the best thing to do is before you go, get a US FIA International license, and have that revoked and traded for a European International FIA license (as per above, but instead of swapping antional licenses you are swapping international licenses). This way, you dont have to go through the european rigamarole of actually qualifying for the international license (in most countries, they wont just issue you one. Even here in Canada there is no written criteria but they aren't just issued once you file an application, I beleive it is different in the US and you can just get one).

SAME IN ITALY, BUT JUST THE
>SCCA CLUBRALLY/PRORALLY WILL WORK AS WELL AS LONG AS YOU
>DON'T COMPETE IN AN INTERNATIONAL LISTED EVENT.
>
>Car rental issue:
>
>If anyone knows of reputable ?rally car for hire? shops in
>either country I would appreciate it. Not looking to rent a
>WRC car but a Group N car of some sort would be nice to keep
>the competition fairly even.
>WELL, IN ITALY YOU HAVE A HUGE CHOICE ESPECIALLY IF YOU LOOK
>AT A SMALL DISPLACEMENT N2 OR N3. A SHOP LOCATED IN THE
>MIDDLE OF THE COUNTRY IS STYLCAR (WWW.STYLCAR.IT)
>PAOLO SOTTOSANTI IS THE OWNER AND IS AN EASY GOING BLOKE,
>TELL HIM THAT ALEX FROM CALIFORNIA GAVE YOU THE CONTACT.
>HIS CARS ARE NEATLY PREPARED AND WITH TOP PARTS

There are hundreds, literally, of the same and/or higher calibre than the 'top' teams in the US. Even the official factory US Subaru outfit is run as a 'customer' team by Prodrive, that is the level you can go at (and spend), you can also go at a much lower level. P.S. I can rent you my A6 206 if you want :)

>
>Co-Driver issue:
>
>Any ideas how to find a co-driver?

I found mine on the internet, try www.rallycodriver.co.uk

>A MOTOR CLUB WOULD DO IT IN UK, SAME IN ITALY BUT THE NUMBER
>OF PEOPLE THAT CAN SPEAK ENGLISH THERE IS LIMITED.
>CHECK WWW.RALLYLINK.IT FOR ITALY AND WWW.RALLYCODRIVER.CO.UK
>OR WWW.BRITISHRALLY.CO.UK
>Any insight from the guys that do this on a regular basis?
>Pat R., Peter W., Alex G.
>YES, GO SEE AN EVENT IN ADVANCE IF YOU CAN. ALSO ONCE YOU
>GET TO ITALY BUY AN ISSUE OF TUTTORALLY FOR NUMEROUS LINKS,
>MAPS OF EVENTS, REPORTS, TESTS OF RALLY CARS, INTERVIEWS,
>ETC.
>Thanks in advance
>
>Andrew Sutherland
>HOPE THAT HELPS.
>HAVE FUN!
>ALEX GELSOMINO
>
>Andrew Sutherland
>Universal Rally Racing
>http://64.65.11.83/gallery/Rally/Firenze_Prato_2001/montagni_foto/Baldi_Tacchini.jpg

·
slow is slow....
792 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Pat

Can we talk off line via e-mail? I tried what I thought was your e-mail but I got a "return to sender" error. I have a couple quick questions. I'd be more than happy to throw my money your way for a car rental.

E-mail me at [email protected] if you get a chance.

Thanks

Andrew Sutherland

1 - 4 of 4 Posts