Special Stage Forums banner
21 - 40 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
It sure would help if RA or any sanctioning body would state why they are implementing a new safety rule. The need for padding very distant (aft) bars for example. So whats happening - those bars are getting compressed several feet into the compartment space and making contact with the occupants? Anyways sorry to derail and will be very happy to see you Tyler!

·
Left 4 into beachball
1,920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
It sure would help if RA or any sanctioning body would state why they are implementing a new safety rule. The need for padding very distant (aft) bars for example. So whats happening - those bars are getting compressed several feet into the compartment space and making contact with the occupants? Anyways sorry to derail and will be very happy to see you Tyler!
Rumor is that's the "FY Racing Crash" rule:

·
Left 4 into beachball
1,920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Wow that thing is F-ed. Sideways into a tree?
Assume so - betting the guys have a writeup on their website somewhere. In their PR for the next RA event they mentioned that the driver got some training...

·
Registered
180 Posts
Yeah Dave, that makes sense though, having some sort of semi-science and public/competitor awareness would be helpful.

Don - Im sure that car had A-pillar bars - they just got seriously deformed.

On another note - I need a CODRIVER for Temple Canyon HC May 10-11th if anyone would like to go for a ride please let me know!

·
Left 4 into beachball
1,920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
So old cage designs didn't have A pillar bars? Don't think their design was that old. Please explain.
Car did not have the a-pillar support bars. It was an FIA kit cage I believe so was 100% legal for competition use...just didn't have all the updates some of the newer (post 2005) kits have.

Dave

·
Registered
331 Posts
On another note - I need a CODRIVER for Temple Canyon HC May 10-11th if anyone would like to go for a ride please let me know!
I'm in the same boat. I've asked a few other more experienced guys already before tapping into "hey who wants to come be a paper weight and ride along". I think I'm just going to sit this one out and give my wallet a chance to cool down.

·
Left 4 into beachball
1,920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
I'm in the same boat. I've asked a few other more experienced guys already before tapping into "hey who wants to come be a paper weight and ride along". I think I'm just going to sit this one out and give my wallet a chance to cool down.
You can always run solo though we'll have to have a quick get-together of the rally class to see how everyone feels about scoring. TC is a great road (more 'real world' practice for stage rally than PMP for sure). Since you've already paid membership fees for the year...races are just $175 + whatever you break/wear out. :)

Dave

·
Registered
180 Posts
Hey Dave - Buddy of mine wants to go for a ride and is willing to read some notes so Im covered. That said Im looking for a spare set of mens gloves M/L if anyone has an extra set along with Nomex socks for him. Think I can pay his entry at the event? Ive already paid for myself and the car.

·
Mä meen vittu sinne!
6,058 Posts
If someone is still searching for a codriver, I bet Joe Chiarelli from Salta could be talked into codriving. Would be a good asset for either VW or Subaru rally cars.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Down to the wire... Anyone have ideas for a makeshift tow hook for the front? Mine were cut off in some stupid recall before I had the car.

Also do we have to have the triangles for hill climbs?

·
Mä meen vittu sinne!
6,058 Posts
No triangles required. Nothing but fire stuff.
We used some bolt on straps on Chump. Just bolted through bumper beam.
I've used a 4 by 10 piece of 3/16" plate, cut a circle in one end and welded it to core support.
Also have seen a 1/2 - 3/4" round bar bent and welded to frame horns.
I can be at our shop on your way through if you need any help or anything. Could borrow a tow strap from chump if comes down to it.

21 - 40 of 73 Posts