Special Stage Forums banner
1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Left 4 into beachball
1,920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All!

If you're going to be running with CHCA this summer, please note that tech inspection is happening this Saturday April 13th from 10am - 4pm at Ferguson GMC in Colorado Springs. The address of the dealership is: 950 S Academy Blvd, Colorado Springs, CO.

Here is the schedule for the year - hope you can make it!

1. PMP1 Apr. 20-21
2. Temple May 11-12
3. Monarch Jun. 1-2
4. Lands End Jul. 27-28
5. PMP2 Sept. 28-29

If you have any questions, please ask away. In addition, the rally class is allowed 2 reps and currently I'm the only one, so if you'd like to help out, that'd be great. Meetings are held the first Tuesday of each month in Colorado Springs.

Thank you,

Dave
2013 CHCA Class Rep

·
Registered
331 Posts
Yep, Tommy was telling me about how you 2 were talking about that on Saturday. Right now TC is in, and I think I'm going to plan on LE, then if possible toss PMP2 into the heap. Which is a decent chance seeing there's a good month buffer zone between them for the wallet to recover.

·
Left 4 into beachball
1,920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Excellent! I wish the club could use LE as the season finale as IMO its the best stretch of road we race on, but with hunting season and school starting (read: football is big in GJ), it was decided that the middle of the summer works best in terms of trying to attract spectators and potential event sponsors.

Dave

·
Registered
76 Posts
My co-driver and I were talking about maybe running Lands End this year since it's so close to us. I really would like to get the car out.

I missed tech inspections, but is there anyway to get my car teched if I do decide to run?

·
Mä meen vittu sinne!
6,058 Posts
Yeah, they'll tech you at the event!
You should do Temple Canyon too Victor!

There was 11 rally cars at PMP! If we get 20 regulars at each event, we can seriously look at a stand alone rally.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I don't know if we can make TC. We will most likely make LE though. It would be awesome to be more active in Colorado rally events and maybe have more events in the future.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Hey Victor! That would be really cool to see you guys back!

PMP1 was a very fun, efficiently run, and competitive event. Everyone was driving fast and the coolest thing about the two wheel drive class is our variety. We had a BMW, Acura, two wheel drive Subie, Honda CRX, Ford Focus, and VW. Sounds like more cars are going to Temple Canyon - Brooks Freehill should be there in his BMW or Gremlin, maybe Matt Leavitt in his VW, Grant in the BMW (??), and who knows who else.

Anyways hope you guys can make it back.

It would be outstanding to have a stage event back and if we keep this momentum up - it seems likely.

·
Registered
331 Posts
If a stage rally can't be brought back, how do you guys feel about more Sprints until then? Not sure how many of you know, but for the last year the SCCA has been trying to get Tommy to start them up in our area. So we'd have plenty of strong backing, insurance would be taken care of and I'm sure we could get plenty of volunteers to help run the events from the RX group, not to mention equipment from it as well.

The only thing would be where to run them. Perhaps PMP, both counter clockwise and clockwise for a verity. Sadly all the hard work of building the old Tumbleweed course has washed away, so something at CORE would have to be made. And that would require funds.

Next time you see him talk him into it. As of now he's been busy with RX, Hill Climbs (potential Stage Rallies), the band and trying to get the Evo back together. So there hasn't been much of a chance to even think about doing it all on his own. We did talk with a guy from New Zealand last year who seemed really interested in setting something up through NASA, but I think we convinced him to try and help us through the SCCA. Best of all the guy is so nuts he'd do all the work without wanting to even play... however he's in the Rally America mindset and wants to use it as his secondary source of income, which we've all seen not work so well.

And I don't mean to go hijacking your thread Dave

·
eating dust taking photos
3,740 Posts
however he's in the Rally America mindset and wants to use it as his secondary source of income, which we've all seen not work so well.

And I don't mean to go hijacking your thread Dave
Running events as a secondary source of income isn't on the face of it a losing proposition provided that sufficient investment is also made to support the value.

If I am not mistaken both Rim of the World and Laughlin were revenue positive events until politics with the government/forest service/native americans made those events not feasible.

It would probably take around $800-1000 to make a truly decent 6-8 mile course at CORE that would hold up and not be a total car killer. Put on 2-3 rally sprints a year there and find a way to make it work with sub $175 entry fees and the economics can be made to work. You wouldn't get rich but you could probably after a year afford to pay yourself more than minimum wage for every hour invested in running events from that point forward...

20 cars, at $175.00 ea gives you $3500 to play with. Depending on facility rental fees and sanction/insurance it it might be doable, at 25 cars its highly likely to be profitable...

·
Left 4 into beachball
1,920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
No problem on the discussion...good to see people on here again...and more importantly people actually racing cars! We had 11 rally cars entered which accounted for 12 of the entries at the hillclimb. I think last year the best we mustered was about half that.

I'd rather not step on CHCA toes by using their 'hillclimb' course and potentially tearing it up. Those guys worked with the city to get the course put out there and volunteers from the club donated time and machinery to make that course happen. The thing that's a bit of a bummer with all these different groups in the mix is the fact that you're in for membership fees to do just one race.

I'd personally rather see a 'sprint' on a real road. NASA Rally In A Box has been developed for just such a thing (unsure if SCCA program is meant only for closed facility racing - i.e. larger/faster version of rallyx)...but we need enough competitors showing with their wallets that they're actually wanting to race. With a NASA sanctioned event, you can use your membership for an event close to home and also go traveling and enter a stage rally.

Dave

·
Registered
76 Posts
Plans have changed we're planning on Temple Canyon now also. I will have a new co-driver, but with a hill climb I have done before I figure it shouldn't be a problem. I've got a lot of work to do in two weeks but we can swing it.

Excited to get back out there with you guys and happy to see the Colorado rally group picking back up!

·
Registered
279 Posts
Looking like I just might make TC by the skin of my teeth. Spent tonight finishing up some things.

Does the CHCA require the amount of cage padding that Rally America is now? I have all the bars covered like we had in the old car, but from RA's rules it looks like I need another 30 sticks to pass. Anyone in CO selling cage padding?

·
Registered
331 Posts
Great to hear it Tyler! Can't wait to finally hang out with you again.

I have a ton of padding left over, enough to do another interior. If you show up Friday night you'd have plenty of time to get it all in. Text me if you're interested

1 - 20 of 73 Posts