Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
924 Posts
and mind you thats a PGT win in a 2.5rs. i rode with him once last season, the guys a great driver. congrats on your first prorally class win!
Josh

·
Shifting and drifting
502 Posts
GT: Jonathan Bottoms!

We were watching the race between the 2 RS's, and both Jonathan Bottoms and Valdemaras Maciukevicius ( sp whew!) were putting on a great show. I am glad to see these drivers go for it in the "little" RS's, especially because I decided a few years back specifically not to build my car. Great drive guys.

My hat's off to both drivers, and preserving not only the fight of (the dwindling) GT class, but for getting the first of the "good looking cars" home in 10th and 11th.

"Turbos, we don't need no stinking turbos! (on ice)"

·
Registered
374 Posts
RE: GT: Jonathan Bottoms!

Not trying to start anything, BUT, how can those 2.5RS's be legal when they have aftermarket wings? I thought that in PGT you could not change things like the wings? At least one PGT Impreza had a WRC style wing. Wasn't a few years ago that a VW had to remove the wing that was an exact replica of the A-7 spec VW rally car? And wasn't that in group 2 which is a open class? How can those PGT Impreza's run those wings?
Philip J. Boer
[email protected]

P.S. This is not an attack or anything, was just wondering what the rules were and if they changed.

·
Shifting and drifting
502 Posts
wings

The 2 door Impreza RS came with a "hoop" rear wing standard equipment from 1998 to the end of the bodystyle in 2002.

the 4 door RS came with a lower "base model" rear wing standard.

On the new ugly bodystyle RS, I believe the wing is optional, as it is on the same disgustingly styled WRX.

Now, there was a backmarker GT WRX that had a big wing, but who cares if you can't beat your NA brother with your turbo car?

ADD: Again, hats off to faster drivers in slower machines!

Some of you say Viva la Proletariat, or whatever...

I say, Viva Las Vegas

·
Registered
374 Posts
RE: wings

>Now, there was a backmarker GT WRX that had a big wing, but
>who cares if you can't beat your NA brother with your turbo
>car?

Okay, so as long as it is a backmarker, no complaints. So, the wing that wasn't legal for the VW is okay now if the driver is a back marker. So, if a backmarker were to bring over a WRC spec car and run it in Open... okay because he is a back marker? Not that the comparisons are the same... but? If it is okay for the back marker, will it be okay for the front runners? Didn't Subaru have to change Lovell's wing on his car because it wasn't sold thru the dealerships? Lovell's and Ramana's car has the ugly wing that is sold thru the dealer but Jonny Milner's car has the wing that was on Lovell's car 2 years ago. Not that a wing is a big advantage, but if the VW couldn't run the wing, why now on these cars?

Philip J. Boer
[email protected]

·
Registered
48 Posts
RE: GT: Jonathan Bottoms!

Thanks Guys!!!

It was an awesome event.The icy conditions fair well for the 2.5RS, it's great for eliminating the horsepower advantages of the turbos. On Friday's stages I took it easy to make sure I'd make it to Saturday. Then Saturday I started to push harder. I think I even had 7th fastest time on stage 17, when the snow was coming down hard.

I hope I can keep it going. Thanks for your support!

Jonathan Bottoms
#916 (soon to have Pro#)

·
Registered
79 Posts
RE: wings

Phil,

A competitor would have to CARE that he was running an aftermarket wing, and protest him,

If you arn't a threat to the win, no one cares, and you can have a fine ole time with your big winged rally car...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts