Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
You get one life,live it!
1,911 Posts
Very close stuff,but seems to be a few DNF's??

Cheers

Chris

·
Media Dude
1,464 Posts
its a shame that antoine l'estage DNF'd
i was really hoping for a good run for him
especially coming off the win at Defi last week in Quebec

·
Registered
276 Posts
Pretty amazing that the first Open class is only 6th. Aren't open class supossed to be faster than Gpn. I guess going from 36mm to a 34mm restrictor made a big difference.
Really close battles, can wait for tomorow.

·
Loose nut behind the wheel
1,074 Posts
>Pretty amazing that the first Open class is only 6th. Aren't
>open class supossed to be faster than Gpn. I guess going from
>36mm to a 34mm restrictor made a big difference.

Actually, for the US based cars, they went from a 40mm to 34mm. Yes, that is a big difference.

·
eating dust taking photos
3,740 Posts
teams are pushing SOOOOOOOO hard, you can just feel the determination from outside the car.

Stig, Pat, and Travis are breaking super late, really cutting and hooking the turns, and pushing so much speed through the corners, and wow, Matt and Tanner.....

On stage 7 Matt was driving 10/10s atleast. Coming into the sharp 90 degree turns, Matt had to be fully sidways for atleast 30-40 feet before the turn, I would have sworn he was going around entirely before the turn the rate of speed, the rotation, the timing, super impressive.

The battles are INTENSE.

Watch the Cog website in the coming days for TONS of photos.

·
You get one life,live it!
1,911 Posts
Just checked the COG site,only 19 left! Bar must have been packed last night! One hell of a DNF party..
There's going to be some good stories/photo's coming soon I'm sure!

Interesting to see how today goes.

Cheers

Chris Leggy #370

·
Registered
27 Posts
Check out the Rally-america.com pics!

Travis Pastrana DNF'd and there's some INCREDIBLE pics of his car! one hub/coilover/wheel assembly was completely ripped off the car!

Stig lost to Richard by .4 seconds.
great rally, wish I could've been there.

·
3/14=my 42nd rally anniversary
3,979 Posts
Holy Moly ...

http://www.rally-america.com/thumb.php?pic=265&max=600

Morgan's shot seems to show Travis' left arm somewhat outside the car which is an all too eery reminder of my view of Erik Zenz' left arm when he barrel-rolled his SAAB 99 at the end of the 1982 Northern Lights spectator stage. Shattered glass doesn't contain much of anything - I really should add window nets to my rally cars ...

Halley ...
BBBBB (Bring Back Big Bend Bash)
http://www.realautosport.com

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
RE: COG Pictures

Okay, somebody give me a link. I've looked 3 different places (on Rally America web site) and can't find pictures from Cog. x(

·
Registered
276 Posts

The good part is that he never broke the camera on the roof. Glad they are OK. Shows you how important it his to have a good cage.

On a sad and serious note, Marko Martin had a big crash in Britain today during the WRC and his co-driver lost his life.

·
Mä meen vittu sinne!
6,058 Posts

That is some serious commitment there Morgan. To stand snapping pictures that long when a car is rolling at probably over 100 mph right towards you. We were taking a break from the service park and stopped at this spectator area and Travis was absolutely flying coming into that. The dust impeded most of our view but we could ses car parts flying like 50 feet up and out of his dust cloud. I heard a rumor that the wheel and strut landing not too far from where you were at? Glad both Travis and Christian were okay.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts

>That is some serious commitment there Morgan. To stand
>snapping pictures that long when a car is rolling at probably
>over 100 mph right towards you. We were taking a break from
>the service park and stopped at this spectator area and Travis
>was absolutely flying coming into that. The dust impeded most
>of our view but we could ses car parts flying like 50 feet up
>and out of his dust cloud. I heard a rumor that the wheel and
>strut landing not too far from where you were at? Glad both
>Travis and Christian were okay.

The whole car landed not far from where I was at, as a matter of fact, it took out the bushes I was standing behind! I was pretty far off the road and shooting with a long lens, I did not think the car was going to roll more than once or twice. As it went into the third roll, I realized it was not going to stop and was coming right at me ( the car rolled five more times). I ran at a 45 degree angle to what I hoped was the trajectory of the car ( there was no way of predicting which way it was going to go), as I was running, shrapnel was landing all around me, the wheel and strut landed just to my left

I was pretty far off the road on the straight away after the corners, which should have been taken much slower ( 5 left into 5 right (?) )
No trees to stand behind at this rally x(

·
Registered
1,383 Posts

>Okay, somebody give me a link. I've looked 3 different places
>(on Rally America web site) and can't find pictures from Cog.
>x(

On the RA site, click "pix and video" in menu bar -> "photo gallery" -> "Colorado Cog"

·
Mä meen vittu sinne!
6,058 Posts

Yeah I could see you standing out there when Stig and Pat came through. Thankfully there weren't any trees. Nothing to protect you, but definitely protected Travis and Christian. Good pics and good getting out of the way.

·
5 right opens
859 Posts

>Sorry 'bout that, Mo'. Didn't mean to scare you. On the
>other hand, it was very nice to have a friend right there once
>they turned off the washing machine. Great photos, by the
>way! Fantastic!
>
>- Christian
>
>
>Bjorn Christian Edstrom
>www.christianedstrom.com

What was it like in there? I mean, I've been upside down (a single, light roll) but I can't imagine what 5 rolls feels like. I noted in one picture ther route book coming out of Travis' window, I assume you tossed it preferring the proper "crash postiion"?

How did Travis relate with this, his first "serious" Rally incident?

I also notice the camera on TOP of the car... I assume there is ON car as well as IN car footage?

Scott
-----

·
Mä meen vittu sinne!
6,058 Posts

I heard the post roll conversation went something like this:
T: Are you alive?
C: Yeah, I'm okay
T: Wow. That was cool.

Were the TV2Go folk standing nearby there Morgan? Wonder if they'll show it. I'd put in the RA commercial if it were up to me. I mean, how many people say they watch Nascar for the wrecks? Seems like alot to me. My most popular hill climb video has been the one with a big roll by a golf and a drop off the side of the mountain by a RX7.

·
www.christianedstrom.com
2,144 Posts

>What was it like in there? I mean, I've been upside down (a
>single, light roll) but I can't imagine what 5 rolls feels
>like.

Five? From the on-board, we counted seven rolls, but the camera cuts out for just a bit. Doug Plumer said his video shows eight rolls. My guess is 7 3/4 as we ended up on the co-driver side and started rolling in Travis' direction.

It was loud, violent, and scary. I had less of a sense of "rolling" than just being shaken quite violently. I had plenty of time to think things like, "So this is what a roll feels like." and "I'm glad that I'm strapped in good." and "I should cross my arms, now." The worst part was sometime during the 5th roll when there was a good long pause where I thought, "Oh, it must be over now." only to be surprised by another big landing and a few more tumbles.

> I noted in one picture ther route book coming out of
>Travis' window, I assume you tossed it preferring the proper
>"crash postiion"?

I think it's coming out the crack between my door and window. I crossed my arms sometime during the second roll.

>How did Travis relate with this, his first "serious" Rally
>incident?

We had a good debrief on Sunday night, and I talked to him yesterday. We're both in good shape and are looking forward to LSPR.

>I also notice the camera on TOP of the car... I assume there
>is ON car as well as IN car footage?

There was a forward-facing cam on top of the car, and a driver-facing camera (with full sound throughout) in the car. Doug Plumer also caught the whole thing from the outside. I haven't seen that video. I'm guessing it'll be part of the OLN show.

- Christian

Bjorn Christian Edstrom
www.christianedstrom.com

1 - 20 of 26 Posts