Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Memphis Rally Nerd
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats the deal with only the drivers name on the car? I hear that Subaru was gonna run their car with both names, but the FIA told them to remove it or else. Apparently some spectators are 'confused' by having both names......hmm....what kinda dips**t waits 2-4 hours on a rallying event which they may have never been too and are perplexed by two names on the car? ......HUH!?!?

·
Registered
415 Posts
A couple of thought about why to do this. (a joking response)

1. Weight reduction, escpecially with those long Swedish names, that is at least a 3 grams, and it is up-top weight too!

2. Us co-drivers are actually standard equipment in rally cars now. Our names are listed for each car, but only in the homologation papers.

3. No one really knew who they were to being with, so why bother. (can anyone, off the top of their head, name Loeb's co-driver, or Gronholm's?)

4. This is the FIA's way to let the teams know that rally will be moving towards a stadium format (race of champions style) and the need for co-drivers will be removed shortly.

5. This way there is one less name per car for Ralph at SPEED channel to mispronounce during the WRC broadcasts. (just playing with you Ralph, you should have heard me try to interview Valdemaras Maciukevicius. That was ugly.)

Jeff Burmeiste
SpecialStage.com
The North American Rally Resource

·
just another old phart
2,258 Posts
>3. (can anyone, off the top of their head, name Loeb's
>co-driver, or Gronholm's?)
>

Off the top of my head, without cheating, how about Daniel Elena and Riisto Miistomaki (or maybe not)

Kent Gardam

·
Registered
122 Posts
>>3. (can anyone, off the top of their head, name Loeb's
>>co-driver, or Gronholm's?)
>>
>
>Off the top of my head, without cheating, how about Daniel
>Elena and Riisto Miistomaki (or maybe not)
>
>Kent Gardam

Your correct on Leob's navie, but the navie for Marcus is Timo Rautianen. (Timo is Marcus's brother in law)

I think Riisto may have been a co-driver for Tommi.

The Swedish names are short compared to the Finns!

I read the rules about this and it only applies for entries in the WRC, not other entries. In addition, it only says names must appear on the rear side windows. There is nothing prohibiting putting the driver's name on the window, and the navigators just below on the body of the car! (2004 general prescriptions 7.2)

Paul Nelson (Swedish last name)
Navie

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
i saw this too but noticed that the friday stuff had both names on the subarus.

·
Memphis Rally Nerd
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mannensinmaki is a bit closer. Tommi had some else last year. Tho I cant remember his name. But I did see him co-driving for Juha in the 2nd Scooby on the swedish. :)

·
Premium Member
1,570 Posts
While Risto Mannisenmaki used to co-drive for Tommi, Makinen's most recent co-driver was Kaj Lindstrom, who was co-driving for Kristian Sohlberg in the new Mistsu WRC04 at the 2004 Swedish WRC event.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
>>>3. (can anyone, off the top of their head, name Loeb's
>>>co-driver, or Gronholm's?)
>>>
>>
>>Off the top of my head, without cheating, how about Daniel
>>Elena and Riisto Miistomaki (or maybe not)
>>
>>Kent Gardam
>
>Your correct on Leob's navie, but the navie for Marcus is
>Timo Rautianen. (Timo is Marcus's brother in law)
>

You guys need to practice your written Finnish.

It's Timo R-R-R-Rautianen (roll the R)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts