Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm making a new passenger window out of Lexan, the alternative is buying another glass one for $300, so I thought I'd just make it my self.

I am reading in the rule book that if a lexan window is installed, it says:

'For open and group 2 vehicles, it is permissible to replace glass side windows with Lexan of like or greater thickness than the original glass. However, competitors must be able to display to the satisfaction of the event scrutineer that the mounting of the substitute windows will allow both emergency escape from inside the car and access by rescue from the outside of the car.'

I haven't molded the glass yet, but will soon. As you can see from the photo below I have no upper door frame, so I will only be attatching it to the top of the door.

http://www.dcrally.ca/lexan_slider.jpg

So a method of quick escape from inside the car is just to kick out the glass since the top and sides are basically floating other than the pressure of the bent glass.

For a solution to the "access by rescue from the outside of the car" I could just mount a small handle on the outside in which the rescuer could just pull and break off the window if need be.

Could someone fill me in on whether this is a legal way of doing it? Or if its not, could you give me an alternate solution if possible?

Thanks very much,

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
That looks safe enought to me, but I thought there was something about lexan windows needing frames. Sure they wno't get sucked out at 150k? Note that the Subes don't use lexan.

Keep workin' on the rebuild.

ACP
Flirting with the laws of physics.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If I mold it properly it will fit into the upper molding and will be snug and secure, I hope.

If I think its going to be unsafe and it is not holding, I will just scrap it and tell the co-driver to pay for a new glass one :)

Thanks for the help.

ps. Martin I emailed Andrew but it came back as an invalid email address. Thanks anyway.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well no need now, it snapped when I was molding it. Very hard to get the right amount of heat. I just got too cauky with it.

Too bad since it was almost finished, just doing the final shaping. I guess its off to the wreckers where I'll have to pay some horific amount for a real window.

Thanks in anycase,

·
Registered
34 Posts
Thanks Martin.

If you were to use Lexan, would it be snug [very tight!] to the A-pillar, B-pillar and drip rail/roof line? If not, there could be the chance of gaps opening temporarily during a roll-over.:eek:

I wish you best of luck and hope to see you at PFR.

Could you use a window net [NRR II.C.9.(c)]? Hmmm... (I wouldn't really want to see that)

Andrew

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Andrew,

I wouldn't want to use a window net, so no worries there. I found a fair priced windshield and passenger window so I think I will just pick those up and do it properly.

Thanks for the help,

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well I just got back from the wreckers. I got a side window and a windshield for $150, so I'm happy.

I would really like to make a template but its just not that cost effective right now.

Thanks,

1 - 11 of 11 Posts