Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
DUO ANNOUNCE RALLY PULL-OUT

The World Rally Championship has been dealt a blow with news of plans for Citroen and Peugeot to withdraw after next season.

The series was looking strong after Ford committed for another four years this week but Thursday's unexpected announcement will see two of the sport's most successful teams of recent seasons leave.

Citroen won both drivers' and manufacturers' championships this year while Peugeot and Marcus Gronholm showed signs of a return to their title-winning form at times with their new car.

But parent company PSA Peugeot Citroen announced that difficult conditions in the car market had prompted their withdrawal.

A statement read: "In five consecutive years of competition in the World Rally Championship, Peugeot and Citroen have won five manufacturers' titles and three drivers' titles.

"These results reflect the diligent, passionate determination of each marque, backed by a substantial financial commitment to motor sports competition.

"Due to tougher conditions in the car market, new opportunities in motorsports will be reviewed in 2005, with a view to enabling the group to significantly cut its sports budgets.

"Peugeot and Citroen will remain strongly committed to the World Rally Championship in 2005.

"However, PSA Peugeot Citroen have decided that the marques will no longer take part in the WRC beyond that date.

"At the appropriate time, Citroen Sport and Peugeot Sport will announce the sports in which they will participate after 2005."

The pair's withdrawal will leave the WRC with four manufacturer entries in Subaru, Ford, Mitsubishi and Skoda while Suzuki have plans to enter soon.

The news will boost Ford's hunt for new drivers for next season.

Both Markko Martin and Francois Duval were not retained due to uncertainty over the team's rallying future.

The pair were expected to join Peugeot and Citroen respectively but with those teams only competing for another season, Ford may yet retain their promising line-up.

Thursday's announcement leaves the future of current world champion Sebastien Loeb and two-time title winner Gronholm in doubt though.

Both drivers have enjoyed success in recent years so should not find it particularly difficult to find new drives for 2006 onwards.

http://tinyurl.com/42nbz

Philip J. Boer
grinner323(at)sbcglobal(dot)net

Tact is just not saying true stuff. I'll pass.

·
Administrator Emeritus
1,253 Posts
Hmm. Now if we can get Subaru to pull out, Ford might have a good chance to win the manufacturer's title!

:+

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
could this be motivated by the FIA proposing a ban on things like active diffs and that awesome swaybar setuo that citroen developed?

·
Administrator Emeritus
1,253 Posts
>I guess I missed that part where where subaru gets 39
>manufacturers points for being cool?
>
>Only mfr better then ford was cit this year, woopsie daisie.

Don't muddy my snide comments with facts.

·
CR>R5 into L3- 100 Finish
626 Posts
All I can say is...
Thank you very much Mr. Max Mosley.

Whiplash RallyeSport

·
Registered
38 Posts
Well, honestly, who thought it was a good idea for one company to be funding not just the biggest budget team in the WRC, but BOTH of them?? Last I heard, PSA spent in the region of $150 million on rallying.

I guess it would have made too much sense if they phased Peugeot out in favor of Citroen, or just stuck with Peugeot in the first place. Max is just the straw that broke the camel's back.

·
don't cut
2,252 Posts
>Well, honestly, who thought it was a good idea for one
>company to be funding not just the biggest budget team in
>the WRC, but BOTH of them?? Last I heard, PSA spent in the
>region of $150 million on rallying.
>

Exactly, the only way for them to win is to spend at an unsustainable level. Thus they have two choices: spend less and lose, or quit. People love to pick on Prodrive (especially their part prices), but they've managed to consistantly turn in top results on a fairly average (by wrc standards) budget. M-sport is getting there as well. The French need to turn down their noses and take a look over the channel.

Dennis Martin
[email protected]
920-432-4845

·
Registered
803 Posts
citroen DID NOT develop the active hydraulic sway bars, the peugeots had them before citroen was even an official team

·
Registered
132 Posts
I wonder if this is a bluff to get the attention of Max and the others in management. If they threaten to leave, they could get more say in the upcoming rules adjustments. I dont see any other good reason for this news.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Careful about saying the citron uses ACTIVE sway bars..... They are according to them and the company that developed them passive in every sence of the word. there is a good article about it in Race Car Engineering Magazine. and here is the website. it uses no controll system to controll the action or reaction of the swaybars so it is passive. but none the less peugot did have a system first but as far as the article says the peugot system did not work as well as the citron did. but since I don't know any one at peugot i don't know that for sure.

the website

www.kinetic.au.com

click on systems and it is the "RFS"
in full bump the swaybars act as normal but in one wheel bump... look at the diagram and think of how the suspension acts.

Levi Woods

·
Registered
442 Posts
Hows this going to effect the WRC though? I mean mitsu and skoda are barely contending the 2005 season and if they dont continue for 2006 that will leave us with a two horse race. That doesnt sound very appealing for ratings and the general popularity of the WRC. Eek!

·
eating dust taking photos
3,740 Posts
Suzuki might get involved if the cost cutting measures happen.

Skoda and Mitsu might be able to afford it too.

Then there is renault that in 2007 will evaluate F1 vs WRC for itself and for the company it almost owns, Nissan.

I will admit that loosing both PSA teams would suck though.

·
Registered
151 Posts
:) TTE, where are you?

Oh, that's right.......paying a king's ransom for the priviledge of eating F1 dust.

Howzabout a return to WRC now that you've seen the error of your ways, and PSA is gettin' bored?

·
Registered
374 Posts
I would love to see Toyota back in the WRC... the Corolla is one of my all time favorite cars... but they seem satisfied to go circle jerking(NassCAR) and being perenial backmarkers (F1)

Philip J. Boer
grinner323(at)sbcglobal(dot)net

Tact is just not saying true stuff. I'll pass.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Professional rallying, like all professional racing, is marketing. The budgets required to be competitive in WRC versus the number of buying eyes and opportunities to sell a message is a poor tradeoff compared to other forms of motorsport and other forms of advertising.

This is not to say that a business plan cannot be put in place to make rallying a viable, profitable advertising choice, but not in WRC's current form at the required spending levels.

It's out of control.

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
>citroen DID NOT develop the active hydraulic sway bars, the
>peugeots had them before citroen was even an official team

oh. ok. just remember an article about them on the citroens. thanks.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts