Special Stage Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Faster Mabricator
3,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Those 17-year cycle cicada bug swarms are all over the mid-atlantic states. Millions of em. Annoying. Don't know how bad they are in Wellsboro and vincity.
They've been blamed on several car accidents (people swerving to avoid them, being startled by them entering a window or sunroof while driving or trying to dispose of them from inside their car while driving). Drive accordingly. My shop has 2 accident claims including a total loss due to cicadas.
Rallyteams may also want to rig their roof vents with a screen to prevent unwanted 'fugitive' hitch-hiker cicadas from entering. Seriously, they were that bad in VA/MD last week. The PA season is just starting.

·
codriveur
1,385 Posts
> My shop has 2 accident claims including a total loss due to
>cicadas.

Good for business!!! Mix in a little hail and your all set till July.

Bernie
Co- driver Loose Nut Racing and in my real life...
Owner Property Damage Appraisers of Poughkeepsie NY and Western MA.:) :) :) :)

·
your other left, you idiot
3,909 Posts
Dave - what kind of drivers you have out there?

Swerving to avoid cicadas? You've GOT to be kidding (I hope).

And "fugitive" cidcadas - no relation to fugitive dust, I hope.

>They've been blamed on several car accidents (people
>swerving to avoid them

Might as well stay home next weekend.

press on,

·
Faster Mabricator
3,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What can I say, stupid DC drivers.

>Swerving to avoid cicadas? You've GOT to be kidding (I
>hope).

I aim for them myself. Green guts and orange bug eyes.
They are large and hard enough to hurt if you're on a motorcycle. Messy too.

>Might as well stay home next weekend.

If they get as bad in PA as they were here, it could make camping somewhat unpleasant.

·
eating dust taking photos
3,740 Posts
RE: Dave - what kind of drivers you have out there?

There have been instances of beetle hatches being so severe that they cover roads and when you hit them they make the roads slicker then black ice.

Also heard of instances where big enough swarms of cicadas were on roads that when aggitated by a vehicle they all began to fly blinding drivers.

Sonic emitters are normally good to drive them away but they will be murder on a dogs ears....

·
Registered
31 Posts
I saw one over the weekend at my grandparents farm (Bloomsburg, PA 45 miles due south of Wellsborro) and you can here them at night, thats about it.

-KTurner
so close but can't go to STPR because of work

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Being at one time an entomological whiz-kid and past grand champion in 4H at the 1982 Minnesota State Fair, I'll tell you this. They DO NOT bite people!!!! The 17-year Cicada is of the order Homoptera and are plant-sucking insects. Yes, they are big and freaky looking but are harmless to humans. The Cicada Killer, a 2-1/2" large wasp of the order Hymenoptera that looks like a hornet on steroids, is what I'd be more concerned about if anything. I've only seen one and that was in Ohio. So there!}>

Jerry "ex-Hymenopteraphobic(fear of bees)" Winker

·
Registered
68 Posts
RE: Dave - what kind of drivers you have out there?

You should come down and drive around here during rush hour. I assure you it takes much less than some bugs to evoke total pandimonium on the roads. Rain is a perfect example.

·
Registered
240 Posts
They have barely gone North of the Mason Dixon as of yet. So, I don't see them as a problem as they are in the Balto/Wash area. They measured the sound of them in Baltimore at 110db which is only 20db lower than an airplane taxing.

·
Registered
356 Posts
> They DO NOT bite people!!!!

I spent the past weekend camping at summit point (where the cicadas rule), and I can tell you this... If the nights are cool, camping is no problem at all. Also, while they don't bite, they DO have little claws on the end of their feet and if they land on your skin (and they will), you'll get a little pinching sensation.

They are pretty funny bugs. REALLY slow and stupid. Their method of landing is basically to fly full speed into an immovable object and then try and hold on before falling to the ground.

:7

·
Registered
240 Posts
We only have the normal amount of cicadas down in York (168.91 miles south). I haven't really seen them much above the Timonium area of Maryland. 695/83 junction was covered with their carcasses making the road brown about a week ago, I think the worse has past.

·
your other left, you idiot
3,909 Posts
From this week's Time magazine:

80 Decibel level of city traffic

105 Decibel level of Brood X periodical cicadas

120 Decibel level of a Fourth of July firecracker

Funny, no mention of rally cars in the woods (with the anti-lag on?)

press on (what?),

·
Registered
901 Posts
RE: skipping STPR because of the bugs?

Heh heh... you can always skip STPR and come to Dryad Quest in Washington State instead.... we don't have any of those particular big nasty bugs!

Instead, we have some awesome roads, great people, and fun times for less than what you'd pay for STPR's entry fee! :)

Of course, we sometimes have trouble with deer ticks... and mosquitoes... :)

KT

1 - 15 of 15 Posts