Special Stage Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fellow Rally Enthusiasts --

PLEASE READ THIS WITH AN OPEN MIND AND HEART.

A good friend of mine is heavily involved in motorsports on a variety of levels from former competitor to race official to motorsports magazine publisher and more. The "more" part includes participation in a number of Christian ministries from a national scale on down. Talking with him about the wide variety of spiritual and physical needs being met by the grassroots/local ministries to the national level organizations made me wonder about the rally community.

I don't know of any spiritual outreach to the rally community, at least not at STPR, "my backyard". Given my limited rally exposure, I need others to suggest areas/avenues of ministry. I am very limited in my ability to participate in the rally community (finances, time, young children, "non-motorsports" spouse, etc.) That being said, I am fortunate that I have participated at STPR as spectator, spectator marshall, timing and controls, rally communications, etc. for almost 20 years. We have a few ideas that might bless the rally workers, organizers, competitors, crews, spectators, etc. but I don't know where to best direct outreach/resources. Once again, I NEED OTHERS TO SUGGEST AREAS/AVENUES OF NEED/MINISTRY.

The avenue of a chapel service at some time during the weekend is obvious, but I know that timelines are extremely tight, so when is the best time?

We are considering water/drink/snack "patrols" for the registration, spectator, "parc ferme", & service areas.

We are considering other options, but really don't know what's best to do... We don't have a "ton of resources", but we don't want to let that stop us from keeping a broad view of the needs.

OUR HEART IS NOT TO EXPLOIT THE EVENT OR THE PEOPLE!!!

Please chip in ideas about the needs of rally community.

Dave Moore -- Wellsboro resident (STPR), rally worker, sports car ('74 260Z) and rally fanatic, too poor to participate, boo hoo... Blessings to all!

·
Premium Member
1,570 Posts
I fail to see any link between Christianity and motorsports. To be equitable, do we invite / allow Buddhist, Jewish, Islam and Pagan services at STPR as well ?

Soliciting ideas for possible areas for outreach in the __Off Topic__ forum seems perfectly acceptable to me. Agenda pushing by attempting to align a specific religion with a completely unrelated activity does not ....

=============================================================================

Web site : www.SoCalRally.com
Sponsors : www.VwSpecialties.com www.Parts4VWs.com

Rally - I don't need no stinkin' epi pen to get my adrenalin rush !!

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
>
>I fail to see any link between Christianity and motorsports.
>To be equitable, do we invite / allow Buddhist, Jewish, Islam
>and Pagan services at STPR as well ?
>

Actually, in nearly every other form I've racing I've been involved with, there is a benediction of some sort.

I'm also always found it odd that the vast majority of events don't play the national anthem, either.

I didn't read his post as anything other than an offer or request to determine if the community desired someone to put some effort into providing those services.

If the service isn't officially part of the rally, it's no different than me saying "I have an air compressor anyone can use in my service truck".

I trust I wouldn't get a hostile response to offering that. Or other people upset that they only use pure nitrogen in their tires, but since I don't offer that as well, I shouldn't offer anything....

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
>
>I fail to see any link between Christianity and motorsports.
>
>Soliciting ideas for possible areas for outreach in the __Off
>Topic__ forum seems perfectly acceptable to me. Agenda
>pushing by attempting to align a specific religion with a
>completely unrelated activity does not ....
>

G-r-r-r-r-r! How's that foot with the bullet hole in it?

·
www.christianedstrom.com
2,144 Posts

Sure, I fail to see any problem allowing services or meetings by any religious or secular group. Given that Buddhism and Judaism have traditionally been non-evangelical faiths, I would expect less of this type of public outreach, but I wouldn't have any problem with it.

As such, I see no reason to have a problem with it from a Christian perspective either. Just because Christianity is the dominant religion in this country does not a priori mean that Christian religious expression impinges on the rights of others.

Christianity and rallying may not be intrinsically linked, but certainly there are people of Christian faith who rally. If this serves their needs, I'm all for it.

Now, public prayer at the drivers' meeting, that would be a different topic. :)

- Christian

Bjorn Christian Edstrom
www.christianedstrom.com

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Well, for times...the afternoon Parc Expose is a lot of sitting around and watching high school kids take prom pictures/doing nothing. I would think you could have some sort of early Saturday mass at the church if you wanted. I was raised Buddhist, so I really don't know what I'm talking about, but I'm just trying to offer a few ideas. As long as it's voluntary, I'm cool with it...Although it's not like mandatory would ever stand in the rally community...

Thanks,
Alex

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
>...it's not like mandatory would ever
>stand in the rally community...

Rally has become a conformist community in recent years.

There is already enough praying to the Subaru altar.

There is nothing to prevent rally people from going to church; likewise there should be no rally association with church.

I just might have to come to STPR this year, erect a marble altar on the green, and start human sacrifices to the gods. I have already started a list of participants :)

·
Registered
583 Posts
Dave,

The US Military Chaplain service routinely deals with the problems you've begun to identify. The logistics of arranging religious opportunities for military personnel are obvious. In addition, Military Chaplains are selfless men and trained to be of serve to people of all faiths (Christian, Jew, Moslem, etc.), regardless of their own personal beliefs.

Perhaps some contact with a local Military Chaplain would be of help to you. Even if only for advice.

Thanks for stepping out in this direction and trying to get something started.

Rich Smith

·
Couch rallyist!
344 Posts
If you want to provide spiritual services to the rally community go ahead, but don't provide chairity services to a community of priviliged people playing a rich man's sport. If anything, set up food stands or something to raise money off us.

Heck, do a raffle or something. You could ask vendors for stuff to give away, or find someone willing to give a ride on the shakedown and raffle that off before the event (NC Rally would do that!).

I wouldn't support (or participate) in prayer at the driver's meeting, but a moment of silence for everyone to do their own prayer/thought/medidation isn't a bad idea. Stopping to think about your own mortality before the stages might be good for people!

But what ever you are trying to do, don't give chairty to the rich, raise money off them instead!

Alex

·
Premium Member
1,570 Posts
I am sure that Dave's outreach is well intended; and, indeed, I personally would not have a problem with having it made publicly known if a service were being held nearby for those that wished to attend.

However, suggestions like "water / drink / snack 'patrols'" and other possiblities that may occur at or during the rally, while may very well be welcomed by some, may indeed not be by others.

=============================================================================

Web site : www.SoCalRally.com
Sponsors : www.VwSpecialties.com www.Parts4VWs.com

Rally - I don't need no stinkin' epi pen to get my adrenalin rush !!

·
Faster Mabricator
3,611 Posts
>As such, I see no reason to have a problem with it from a
>Christian perspective either.

Last time I remember Christian servicing at STPR it was on Malik's Volvo right after the H2o X-ing.

And last religious ceremony was Andrew Havas sticking pins into a Kurt Spitzner Vodoo doll.

·
3/14=my 42nd rally anniversary
3,979 Posts
My preference for all things organized as commercial, business, government or motorsport is to remain secular to a fault.

If, however, one were to take it upon themselves to research places and scheduled times of worship in towns hosting rallies and then share that information with interested individuals via a website I'd consider that a commendable service to the religious members of our rally family.

Halley ...
http://motors.search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZrealautosport
Then, BBBBB (Bring Back Big Bend Bash)
http://www.realautosport.com

·
Registered
106 Posts
My co-driver and I take a moment of silence before every stage...
It's called the countdown from ten.
No offense to anyone but I would rather not see any religious activities incorporated into the formal structure of any rally. Just my non religious opinion

·
400 flat to crest
5,777 Posts
>>
>>I fail to see any link between Christianity and motorsports.
>
>>To be equitable, do we invite / allow Buddhist, Jewish,
>Islam
>>and Pagan services at STPR as well ?
>>
>
>
>
>Actually, in nearly every other form I've racing I've been
>involved with, there is a benediction of some sort.
>
Well that's maybe can be chalked up to just WHERE you've racing.

I have NEVER seen ANYTHING faintly resembling a whiff of ANY sort of religious nonsense at any motorsports that I have raced in but that's ONLY in:
Canada,
Sweden
Belgium
France
Switzerland
UK
South Africa
and civilised parts of USA

I did get some questions from folks in those other places who had seen some TV of USA, they wondered what the hell was the matter, had somebody died????

You want to go to church, go to church-that's what they're there for.

>
>

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
My co-drivers and I (my sons) say a short prayer before the start of the first stage. I see nothing wrong with optional support things being provided to the community. I tend to agreee with Alex (although he's a little bit strong) that most of us don't need anything free, we can afford things on our own. But if you look at it like the free coffee provided along the roadside on major holidays, most people don't need the free coffee, but will take advantage of it to the benefit of society in general so it might cause some people to stop and think about their mortality and other such things. Can't hurt. Go for it.

·
I have a cat.
3,676 Posts
>I have NEVER seen ANYTHING faintly resembling a whiff...

John, you can't have done much competition in Amurrica then, eh?

Many motorcycle races I've been to have had a blessing of some sort from the pastor of Motocross Ministries, or similar. Hare scrambles, too.

The AMA National MX series has a chaplain run the entire series and set up a service in the pits every Sunday morning. Different there though. The pros are pretty much stuck there all weekend and, if they want to worship in an organized service, that is their only opportunity.

I've been to sprint car races where the benediction came over the loudspeakers for the audience to hear as well as the teams.

Pikes Peak had a blessing at the end of the driver's meeting. The words the guy chose were pretty darn good, too, in my opinion...and I usually don't seek out that kind of enlightenment all too often.

However, I agree that a list of available services/churches would definitely be a more welcome option for us. Some rallies include a nice directory of things like tire shops, towing companies, along with the emergency services and hotel numbers in the Supp Regs. I see no problem listing all the available places of worship in the town with times of service as well. Make it pull, not push.

And I'll usually support a charity if its worthwhile...or if I'm hungry.

Eric (who has had a few quiet words with the big fella from the driver's seat on transit from time to time.)

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.