1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The following was released today by the organizers of Targa Newfoundland:

For immediate release

Chevrolet named Honoured Marque for Targa Newfoundland 2005

The Targa Newfoundland international rally has named Chevrolet as the event?s Honoured Marque for 2005, rally officials have announced. It is the first time a domestic manufacturer has been awarded the distinction.

Decades of spectacular Chevrolet competition success and the affection of millions of loyal fans and competitors will be honoured at the fourth annual Targa Newfoundland, which brings together an international fleet of historic, classic and modern sporting cars for a six-day test over the challenging roads of eastern and central Newfoundland.

?No brand is more closely associated with racing ? and winning ? than Chevrolet,? said Targa organizer Robert Giannou. ?From drag racing to oval racing to road racing, from off-road and desert competition to monster trucks and offshore powerboats, the Chevrolet ?bowtie? has been synonymous with racing success for decades. I can think of no finer choice for Honoured Marque for 2005.?

The 2005 event begins in St. John?s on September 10, 2005, and finishes back in that city on September 17 after more than 2,000 kilometres of competition, including nearly 500 kilometres of special closed-road Targa stages.

The event will feature images of Chevrolet competition cars in literature and promotional material, and on the event?s website, Giannou said, and will extend a discount to competitors entering Chevrolet vehicles. Competitors will be encouraged to create their own displays at the evening cars shows along the route, honouring Chevrolet?s colourful competition history.

Porsche and BMW/MINI were the Honoured Marque at the 2003 and 2004 events, respectively.

Competitors have come from the U.S., Australia, New Zealand, Holland, the Bahamas and the U.K. for the first three editions of Targa Newfoundland. The rally starts with registration and technical inspection on Saturday, September 10, 2005.

Targa Newfoundland is owned and organized by Newfoundland International Motorsports and is sanctioned by the Canadian Association of Rallysport (CARS).

-30-

Information:

Media: Ruth Marks (709)576-5790 Doug Mepham (613)966-4969
Sponsors: Scott Giannou (709)576-7537
Competitors: Frank Nossereau (709)722-2413

·
3/14=my 42nd rally anniversary
3,979 Posts
Much as I hate to admit it, I once rallied a Vega ...

http://www.realautosport.com/pics/Vega/chisum79.jpg

http://www.realautosport.com/pics/Vega/sunr78-3.jpg

Then there's the old Rallye Magazine Chevette ...

http://www.realautosport.com/Harvey/Chevette.jpg

More recently -

http://www.rally-america.com/Archives/2005/100_Acre_Wood/day/data/ka100_1028.jpg

http://www.rallyengr.com/images/rdp1104_2501.jpg

And I remember another Vette, at least one Camaro plus the Car & Driver Cosworth Vega rally car back in the 70s. Plenty of Chevy trucks to go around too ...

Halley ...
I wanna be invited to Jake's low water bridge christening ...
http://www.realautosport.com

·
Four tree two remember Andrew
1,633 Posts
Maybe - cough - Suzuki Canada should rebadge the Swift+ rally cars as - gasp - Chevy Aveos for the event.

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
We used to see a green 69 Camaro that ran a few events in the PacNW back in the 80's. Sadly it wasn't a prime example of either a Camaro or a rally car...

·
Registered
186 Posts
> ?No brand is more closely associated with racing ? and
>winning ? than Chevrolet,? said Targa organizer Robert
>Giannou.
Ferrari... Porsche... Jaguar... Subaru... :9

·
Registered
8 Posts
>> ?No brand is more closely associated with racing ? and
>>winning ? than Chevrolet,? said Targa organizer Robert
>>Giannou.
>Ferrari... Porsche... Jaguar... Subaru... :9

You're kidding right? Chevy's competition history is simply staggering. Just not so much in rally.

·
straight at T
2,472 Posts
>>> ?No brand is more closely associated with racing ? and
>>>winning ? than Chevrolet,? said Targa organizer Robert
>>>Giannou.
>>Ferrari... Porsche... Jaguar... Subaru... :9
>
>You're kidding right? Chevy's competition history is simply
>staggering. Just not so much in rally.

And Ferrari or Porsche (or Ford) don't have a similar history? Jaguar isn't in the ballpark and Subaru isn't in the same league, but...

Anyway, it was just promo-speak...

BTW. Someone ran a Cosworth Vega on one of the London-Sydney marathons - not particularly successfully, though.

Adrian

·
straight at T
2,472 Posts
>Theres been a few chevy rally cars at SnoDrift the last few
>years...
>

Yes, I seem to recall seeing them both in the same snowbank last year :p

Adrian

·
your other left, you idiot
3,909 Posts
And there was the goddamnedyellowcorvette back in the 1970s in Michigan (yes Virginia, it was all one word). It gave some of us our first exposure to force majeure. He crashed a LOT (every time?) and left LOTS of fibreglass in the woods.

press on,

·
Who would JVL ban!!!!
127 Posts
Any one know if the Chev Vega is similar or based on any of the Opel cars in Europe or was it strictly a North American design. Just wondering?}( :+ }(

·
3/14=my 42nd rally anniversary
3,979 Posts
>Any one know if the Chev Vega is similar or based on any of
>the Opel cars in Europe or was it strictly a North American
>design. Just wondering?}( :+ }(

Had the Vega shared anything of consequence with its Opel, Vauxhall, or even Holden cousins I wouldn't have abandoned the damned thing in such a hurry back in the 70s. Believe it or not, the engine wasn't the major reason I gave up trying to make one a rally car - the suspensions were a complete joke on anything but a sealed surface or a phenomenally smooth piece of dirt road.

Halley ...
I wanna be invited to Jake's low water bridge christening ...
http://www.realautosport.com

·
Registered
789 Posts
The Vega was a North American design and build.

The suspension wasn't bad; just extremely weak in the rear (Mike--how many times did you have to revise/ repair the shock mounts?). The car had great handling on smooth tarmac, but was a bit too low for rallying in that era.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Does anyone recall a FWD Chevrolet -- what? Citation? -- from Michigan? If memory serves, it was an automatic, too. Female pilot at the helm? Early 1990s, methinks.

Or is my memory failing as badly as the rest of the bits...?

/d

·
your other left, you idiot
3,909 Posts
Gail's Citation

Yes, Guy Light built it. For Gail Holt/Truess.

We had rallied the Olds Omega. Both the Omega & Citation were X bodies, so everything Guy had learned about the Omega carried over. The automatic was an experiment (and it worked). I rode with Gail in that car once.

Jerry Brownell bought it, and still rallies it (or at least a derivative of it). See pic car 553 above.

>Does anyone recall a FWD Chevrolet -- what? Citation? -- from
>Michigan? If memory serves, it was an automatic, too. Female
>pilot at the helm? Early 1990s, methinks.

press on,

·
Registered
204 Posts
Hey! I resemble that remark! Yes, I almost hit Joel as he ran through the snow in front of me.

·
Registered
204 Posts
RE: Gail's Citation

Actually, I have both of those cars. The orange one above is a former ClubRacing Showroom stock and later ITA car that I've slowly converted to rally. It is a G2 car with the original motor and tranny, but no longer the P.O.S. Quadrajet carb.

I still have Gails car in the garage with the rear axle laying under it from when we nearly removed it at speed on the last stage of LSPR '01. It is a G5 car with a Pontiac 3800 and an automatic trans. Not a very quick car, but a blast to drive. It will be back on the stages someday. I want to show up at an event with two Citations and see if I can start a trend. Hehehehehe...

·
Registered
204 Posts
RE: Gail's Citation

Incidentally, I've emailed the Targa Newfoundland people to find out what the discount is going to be to Chevy compeitors, and have gotten no answer. I really would love to to that event (after the addition is done on the house and the wedding is past), and I know of at least two West Michigan Co-drivers I could probably interest in it, right Jimmy? Jeffy?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts