Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
50 L3/CR 70 Yump 200
997 Posts
Hmm, nothing yet...
I hope they are getting organized and will get the needed info to Jean-George soon.
I spoke to a codriver at first service about 3 hours ago, he was hoping I COULD help fill him in (from 400 miles away & behind my PC).

·
Registered
285 Posts
It's Friday night. Do you know where your results are?
;(

·
Registered
285 Posts
>George
>
>P.S. I wish it was sooner but sometime thing do not work as
>well as we like...
>

Thanks, Understand completely, things happen.

Bill Westrick
Silly Side Co-Driver

·
3/14=my 42nd rally anniversary
3,979 Posts

·
Registered
672 Posts
Hi All,

The Friday stages are for the USRC competitors only so there weren't 17 causalities on the first stage. Regional Rally teams will join the fray tomorrow.

The rally is going very well. Nice weather and excellent competition. John Buffum was leading when he clipped a hidden rock in the grass on an apex and broke his right front suspension. Several other teams also clipped the rock and dented wheels in the same spot.

The Green Light TV crews are enjoying the action and looks like it's going to be a great show for Motorsports. Mundial.

Ray Hocker
Chairman, Rim of the World Rally

·
don't cut
2,252 Posts
>The rally is going very well. Nice weather and excellent
>competition.

Screw you! I woke up this morning to four inches of snow, with another four on the way this afternoon. Damn you and your good weather, pretty southern girls, and rally racing! :)

Oh well, at least I got to do donuts in the parking lot this morning.

Dennis Martin
[email protected]
920-432-4845

·
1973 WRC POR
2,421 Posts
So, before going out, Buffum was leading Lawless by 3 seconds and Burke (in an identical car) by 46 seconds. Not bad, for an old man. :)

Earlier in the year, at Rallye Perce-Neige, John told me that he felt he had slowed down lately. Still quick enough. Also, at Perce-Neige, Jean-Paul Perusse (same age as Buffum, 61) came third overall.

Perhaps, people new to rallying in North America and to SpecialStage.com can get a feeling about how competitive rallying was thirty years ago when these guys were in their prime and were competing against Millen, Boyce and Heinonen who were just as fast as Buffum and Perusse.

Doug Woods

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
Ken Block is doing well - until SS5.

Any idea what happened? Must not have been much, if any, damage to the car - - he came back and went 2nd in SS6.

·
50 L3/CR 70 Yump 200
997 Posts
Just got a call from a friend there, some delay waiting for a stage start (sorry , missed #), waiting for course opening to clear the stage. Seems they encountered "unknown" traffic on
the road (counter race direction).
- Hope all is well and they got that bit fixed.
damn I wish I was there.

·
Registered
472 Posts
>I feel bad for Seamus. Crashing/rolling 6 times a year
>probably gets expensive.

well thats 2 for seamus the past 2 u.s events havent been so lucky for him

·
Banned
2,738 Posts
<<<< "unknown" traffic on
the road (counter race direction). >>>>

But, but, but, this is supposed to be a FIA sanctioned event. How could this have happened? Where were the road blockages? Why didn't course opening find the non-existent blockages? How did they get on to the stage? Were the workers trained to prevent such occurences? If not, why not?

Jeffy, I'm sorry, but for this to happen on a rally of such magnitude, I'd rather not be there.

Let the inquisition begin.

Can't see me in your mirrors?
I must be in front of you!

·
Registered
150 Posts
Why do people always have to start talking crap on this forum? So there was a delay, atleast they caught it before a rally car started the stage and ran into the vehicles at speed. It was avoided and that should be good enough. This type of thing happens when you use public roads. Just be glad there is a rally to go run. So when is Tarline going to happen?

·
50 L3/CR 70 Yump 200
997 Posts
>Why do people always have to start talking crap on this
>forum? So there was a delay, atleast they caught it before a
>rally car started the stage and ran into the vehicles at
>speed. It was avoided and that should be good enough. This
>type of thing happens when you use public roads. Just be glad
>there is a rally to go run.

Because this "crap" gets us hurt or killed - and prevents us from running events. (I'm guessing you've never been in this situation before(?)
For sure we are all happy that it was an advance car that safely discovered it.

Would you prefer that there was no mention of this?
The idea of all the rallies I've worked (and yes, I've been in "0" cars that have come upon civilians on the stage) is to improve them for the future- to make sure such things do not happen again.
I have faith that these organizers feel that way too, and worked straight away to find out how it happened (to ensure it would/could not happen again.)

Simply put, such an incident reflects badly on all involved, and If you believe that this would otherwise be a case of "no harm, no foul", you must remember that that permission is needed from the forest service to use these roads, and these folks DO talk to each other in other regions when being asked to consider such an event.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts