Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone give me a smart explanation of an unresponsible decision?

How many dozens of thousands of $$$, competitors have to spend on preparation to the event to get some unmature explanation of cancellation?

Couple good ones are already quitting 2006 NASA Championship.

·
I am not here anymore
2,798 Posts
>Where is there a metion of this? I can't find it on...
>
>www.unitedstatesrallychampionship.com
>
>www.nasaforums.com
>
>www.cherokeetrailsrally.com
>
>or on specialstages events anouncment forums.
>
>Am I more blind than I though? Where is the official word that
>it's cancled?

So says the Cherokee Trails website:

CHEROKEE TRAILS RALLY
CANCELLED DUE TO LACK OF ENTRIES

Knoxville, TN (March 3, 2006) – Rally Promotions, LLC, announced today the cancellation of the Cherokee Trails International Rally, scheduled for March 15-18, 2006, due to lack of entries. As of midnight, March 2, 2005, the rally had received a total of 15 entrants.

“I’m sorry to have to announce to the competitors the cancellation of the event,” stated John K. Shirley, organizer of the rally, “However, with the requirement of entering into a seven figure agreement for use of the roads as of today with the USDA - Forest Service, and having spoken to numerous competitors about their plans to compete or not compete in the event, along with other projections regarding the final entry numbers, the rally was facing a significant loss if it were to take place – a loss that Rally Promotions is unable to absorb at the present time.”

“Current entries will be returned their entry fees in full,” continued Shirley, “and I would ask that everybody involved with the event – from competitors to volunteers to the preliminary teams that have already put in significant time in on the rally – please accept my sincerest apologies, as well as thanks for their hard work and support.”

“I would also like to make clear to the rally community that the cancellation of Cherokee should not impact other events organized by Rally Promotions,” added Shirley, “Cherokee is unique because of the significant road use fee required by the Federal Government. Rally Tennessee and Rally West Virginia do not require road use fees, and therefore the break-even level is significantly less than with Cherokee, and they will proceed as planned.”

“We do intend to continue with events in the Cherokee National Forest in the future,” stated Shirley, “however, it may be that we need to return to single day events with reduced mileage until entry levels are high enough to support a multi-day format.”

·
just another old phart
2,258 Posts
>“However, with the requirement of entering into
>a seven figure agreement for use of the roads as of today with
>the USDA - Forest Service,

Seven figures? Doesn't seven figures still mean a minimum of $1,000,000? I don't care how many entries you would have gotten, you weren't gonna cover seven figures.

·
Four tree two remember Andrew
1,633 Posts
>
>>“However, with the requirement of entering into
>>a seven figure agreement for use of the roads as of today
>with
>>the USDA - Forest Service,
>
>Seven figures? Doesn't seven figures still mean a minimum of
>$1,000,000? I don't care how many entries you would have
>gotten, you weren't gonna cover seven figures.

I think what was meant was a five figure road fee, not a seven.

"Rallying is not easy at all sometimes. If you are not lucky, you are not lucky, and if you are lucky, you are lucky - everything works well. But today was, today was not so lucky."

Tommi Makkinen - 2001 RAC Rally

·
Registered
99 Posts
This is not good at all. If I remember correctly (because they have aready been removed) the regulations state that the deadline for "regular" entries is on March 4th. The press realease states that the deadline with USDA was today (March 3rd). If you have to come up with the money to get the roads on a certain day, why do you set the deadline for entries after that date. Most people rallying in the US are AMATEURS, which means money for rallying is what's left over from paying for life. So, logically, as people often do, the decision to go or not go is made at the last minute. I know of at least two entries that where sent in today. Maybe these late entries would have made the diference, maybe no, but I see this as bad planning.
The appology is nice, and we totally understand John's position, but the bottom line is that we have UNREFUNDABLE flights booked, we have turned down work because we are supposed to be away, we have given employees time of, time that they have used to make plans.
This situation is upseting because when you are in a possition like us, it's not just about not being able to go play in the woods. It's about considerable unrefundable expenses, it's about loss of revenues, it's about the fact that somethig like this can really hurt a small business, at least short term.
This is the kind of thing that really is going to hurt the sport, and the people making sacrifices to participate in it.

Regards,
Jose M. Vicente

·
Registered
112 Posts
This doesn't make alot of sense, the early cut off date for mailing entries was March 4th, tomorrow! I just sent my entry in.....I couldn't afford to spend the money untill I knew I could make it...

·
Registered
113 Posts
I'm not sure what an unmature answer is but Ken's explanation made alot of sense and he was apologetic to those that had spent time and money on the event. Obviously organizers don't have bottomless pits of cash so it's a perfectly rational decision.

·
Registered
99 Posts
...and because organizers don't have bottomless pockets,(and should not have to front the money for us to go play unless thay are a business) they should have set earlier deadlines to make sure they get the money in before they have to pay it out.
I do not wish to get in to discussions about the details of this whole thing, and my purpose is not to lay blame or point fingers. This is simply the opinion of someone who is very angry because the cancellation of this rally is going to cost him a lot of money. Maybe tomorrow I'll see things differently, but right now I need to vent.

Jose M. VIcente

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
How about those that bring teams (co-drivers) from other continents? (tickets paid for them and their families). I know at least two of them... I already know that couple guys decided to skip that event if falls as a championship round in 2007.
... Good advice cancell the checks

·
Registered
45 Posts
"the bottom line is that we have UNREFUNDABLE flights booked, we have turned down work because we are supposed to be away, we have given employees time of, time that they have used to make plans. "

Yep, I am flying in from Denver. Got four days to kill now. What time does the illegal rally start?

·
Registered
768 Posts
- This is not a suprise. There were not enough rallyists for a SINGLE championship how could there be for two?

- It's time to get together - NASA & RA - and make one good one, like IRL and ChamCar are doing (hopefully true this time!)

·
Registered
907 Posts
Could not agree more Topi. We are now facing the mess of "national" 3 events in about a month (OT,RIM & Olympus).

-gp

·
Registered
99 Posts
Topi and George, you guys are absolutely right... and it's only going to get worst. Entry fees are getting ridiculous and events are conflicting with each other more and more every day, not only between RA and NASA, but also with our friends from CARS. It's only logical that the number of entries go down, and anyone who didn't see it coming wasn't paying attention. We used to compare the costs of rallying in the US versus Canada to decide where we would go, but at this rate soon we will be chosing between going cross country, or just renting a car and going to Europe or the caribbean... you know, those places far far away where they have spectators... Has anyonone noticed that it is more expensive for a US competitor to do the regionals only at Rally New York than it is for a Mexican competitor to enter Rally Mexico, a round of the WRC.
What is the point of having two "PREMIER RALLY CHAMPIONSHIPS" in the country if nobody shows up for either one. Some believed that competition between two sanctioning bodies would be good for the sport. Well, in my opinion, each one has tried to built up it's own customer base, but neither one has enough to survive without sharing some of the customers.
Lately everyone seems so hung up on pleasing and impressing the FIA. All you hear is FIA this and FIA that... Rallyes, rules and regulations, everything FIA. Did we already forget what happened to the last two North American events that tried to get the attention of the FIA? the same two events I considered to be the best in NA? They're gone, history... Quebec and Charlevoix.
We often hear people talking about how rallying in the US can never be like Europe because of the culture, the laws, the politics, etc. Well my friends, I thing we have other issues to worry about before we can even get to use those excuses.

Cheers,
Jose M. Vicente

1 - 20 of 42 Posts