Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The 2003 Cherokee Trails International Rally is pleased to announce that the National Auto Sport Association (NASA) will co-sanction the rally along side with the United States Auto Club (USAC) and the Federation International Automobile (FIA).

John K. Shirley
Clerk of the Course
Cherokee Trails international Rally

·
Registered
583 Posts
John,

Very, very interesting. Will you please explain the co-sanction relationships? (The who-does-what-and-why.) Overlaping functions and boundaries?

Rich Smith

Vive le "Pro-le-Ralliat"

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Rich,

Its real simple;
NASA = partnership for the future at lower cost with better benefits and a sportsman focus.
USAC = FIA relationship, communications and sanction plus more knowledge about the business of motorsports then has been available in the past.

In reality none of this mean anything to the volunteers or sportsman competitor except better insurance coverage, including primary medical coverage for competitors, at a lower cost. When was the last time you heard those two concepts in the same sentence?

Sincerely
John K. Shirley

·
Registered
378 Posts
Please assume I know nothing. (Not far from the truth, by the way.) And assume I'm a club rallyist with an old VW GTI with SCCA ClubRally number on it.

Q: Am I going to need NASA placards/decals to run Cherokee this year?

Q: Am I going to need any add'l licenses, or paperwork, beyond the usual event registration & fee?

Q: Is running your event (i.e., outside of my usual SCCA ClubRally circuit) going to be any different -- procedurally -- than what I deal with when I run CARS events in Quebec and Ontario?

Q: Who do I gotta pay what, when to run Cherokee this year?

Thanks, and remember: I know nothing.

-Isaac Taylor

·
Registered
378 Posts
Oh, and...

Q: Any reason my result at Cherokee won't count toward this year's FIA North American class championship standings?

-Isaac

·
Registered
583 Posts
>Its real simple;
>NASA = partnership for the future at lower cost with better
>benefits and a sportsman focus.
>USAC = FIA relationship, communications and sanction plus
>more knowledge about the business of motorsports then has
>been available in the past.

Thanks John.

>In reality none of this mean anything to the volunteers or
>sportsman competitor except better insurance coverage,
>including primary medical coverage for competitors, at a
>lower cost. When was the last time you heard those two
>concepts in the same sentence?

The last time? This is a first for me except when somebody was dreaming out loud. Hats off to you! I wish you great success with Cherokee this year and into the future.

Rich Smith

Vive le "Pro-le-Ralliat"

·
Registered
397 Posts
John.....Bravo!!!
More fun......Better coverage.....Less BS......This looks to me like a WIN WIN WIN!!! Just the way we like it.
John Lane
Viva Le Pro Le Ralliat

·
Registered
901 Posts
Gorman is sanctioned by NASA this year; if you check the general regs of Gorman they give you a good idea of what you need to do.

Most especially, you need to get a NASA membership, which is cheap at, what, $25.00? $35.00? One of those two. If you go to Gorman, you can get it there.

Plus, at Gorman we have to cover all the SCCA stuff; no big deal to some of us! :)

Anyway, www.nasaproracing.com has the NASA info. Not too much in their rules is specifically for rally, currently, but some of the general stuff applies across the board.

I've heard that NASA has better insurance for non-member workers than SCCA....

KT

·
Marketing through Motorsports
1,385 Posts
NASA Membership Fees

If you join NASA through their website it costs a whopping $35. If you want to join as a rallyist, it's $25 and can be done at the event (Gorman Ridge, Santa Maria, and I assume Cherokee). If you want the discounted membership ahead of time, goto the Santa Maria website, download the form, and send it in. NASA memberships are "365-day" memberships, so you get marginally longer duration with the SCCA the first year. (Join May 10 2003, SCCA membership expires May 30 2004, NASA membership expires May 10 2004.)

[hr]

[p align=right]John Dillon
John @ WidgetRacing.com
www.WidgetRacing.com

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Issac,

No, the decals are provided by the organiser and only have the event name and sponsors.

You and your co-driver have to buy a USAC temporary license for $25 for the $100K primary medical coverage.

Cherokee operates very much like the CARS events.
Please down-load the regulations for the exact information at
www.cherokeetrailsrally.com. You can also pay online at the web page.

We are very user friendly and if have questions please continue to ask. We assume you know nothing that is why we spell everything out in the regulations.

Thanks
John

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Issac,

When we rescheduled, because of the War, we had a scheduling conflict with Wild West. It was decided we should be a non-points event.

Sorry
John K. Shirley

·
400 flat to crest
5,777 Posts
John, do you have to fly in from someplace distant a platoon of experts who will tell you everything that you don't know?
Who will pay for their plane tickets, rental cars, motel rooms and food?
If you're not flying in a platoon of experts, just how will you SURVIVE!!!!!!
Aren't they INDISPENSEABLE??????

John Vanlandingham
Seattle, WA. 98168

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

Black Rocket Rally Tires
http://www.blackrockettires.com/

1 - 12 of 12 Posts