Special Stage Forums banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
rallymotto education?

This is interesting, I was under the impression that there were very few open road motorcycle events: Dakar, Isle of Man, and desert racing.

I thought racing motorcycles in a stage format was primarily done on narrower trails with asscoiated slower speeds.

So are there some websites that explain or show motorcycle racing on typical tree lined rally roads? (i.e. differentiated from narrower tree lined trails)

Also: getting back to the roots of rally, if you can race motorcycles on rally roads -- with one person... Why not eliminate the navigator and rally blind (who can read the road the best...)?

Or is this meant to run two events simultaneously incorporating local trails as the stages and rally roads as transits?

In general -- the bigger the event the better from a promotion piont of view.

Mike

·
your other left, you idiot
3,909 Posts
RE: rallymotto education?

Or, maybe it is bikes with sidecars? I have a picture of me at the top of Pikes Peak "pretending" to be the monkey. No matter what we do, there is always one crazier!

I ran a TSD once and 2 guys in a a bike competed. It rained that day. So, by the end, their route instructions were a wadded up ball that were completely unreadable.

Different strokes.

press on,

·
I have a cat.
3,676 Posts

Man. Now I gotta go do Olympus. This is awesome. And scary at the same time. I'll spread the word over on ThumperTalk and KTMtalk.

You'll get lots of motard riders...maybe me.

Time to up my health insurance.

I was just the other day lamenting the days of a dirt bike and a pickup truck and changing pistons between motos...

·
Registered
689 Posts

Jeeezzz Eric I knew you were serious but changing pistons between motos?? We poor club road racers guys just jet em fat for practice. This should be interesting........given how smooth Rally roads are I'd be tempted to run short supension ala motocross bikes turned dirt track bikes , sure hope the bikes go first. Lastly I wonder what classes they will have for bikes or just one.....geee I wonder if my vintage motocross bike can run historic???:D
Ok on a serious note this is a good way to up the entries.

Tom

·
Faster Mabricator
3,611 Posts

>Or, maybe it is bikes with sidecars? I have a picture of me
>at the top of Pikes Peak "pretending" to be the monkey. No
>matter what we do, there is always one crazier!

I also thought the guys on sidecars @ Pike's Peak were crazy. Then they pointed out that they could leap off the bike should they be about to crash over the edge, and rallycar drivers are belted in and go over with the car.:eek:

·
I have a cat.
3,676 Posts

> Jeeezzz Eric I knew you were serious but changing pistons
>between motos??

Not really. I think Chris Whiteman did. I remember him breaking a countershaft sprocket bolt and using the square handle end of a file as an easy out.

Here is the rig I took to spectate STPR in 04...

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y281/sirlurch/DSCN0169.jpg

Six of us went down there and camped in the canyon...

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y281/sirlurch/DSCN0167.jpg

My new one is now street legal...just need the motard wheels and brakes.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y281/sirlurch/DSCN1048.jpg

Shindle's been emailing me bugging to get a side car. Hmmm. Stage notes on a bike...sounds like fun! Time for a 950 SuperEnduro R with motard wheels/brakes and a sidehack for Dave!

·
Registered
43 Posts

Also hope they make sure these bike riders have some kind of prior experience. It doesn't cost much to get a stock bike and hit speeds that can send you smacking off a couple trees, a rock, then face down in a ditch(that might have a couple inches of water in it). These guys have no cage.

·
Registered
689 Posts

I've been eye balling the DRZ-400SM , love KTM's but I'm to used to Japanese maintenance intervals. Not to mention a 500 is waaaaaaaay to big and heavy for my girly man frame. Looks like you guys had fun.

Tom

·
I have a cat.
3,676 Posts

One broken leg at STPR. He was on a DRZ in dirt trim. He's back on it now. :)

I've got a couple supermoto tracks within an hour or so now. It's great fun grinding footpegs and jumping and flattrack sliding, but I still ain't backin' it in on the tarmac yet. Chicken.

·
Registered
689 Posts

Isn't riding background a funny thing: I have no problem sliding bikes on dry pavement yet the thought of even attempting a set of doubles scares the daylights out of me.

Tom

·
Expatriate of the East Coast
845 Posts
>That's really cool, so long as everyone agrees not to say
>anything to Travis.
>
>- Christian
>
>Bjorn Christian Edstrom
>www.christianedstrom.com

Hahaha...

I've been wondering for a while why there hasn't been any rally moto at the RA/NASA events, it only seems natural. I assume the SCCA didn't do it because of them being a 'sports car' club.

I hope that if they do this, they consolidate it with the cars and run both series together. I can't imagine logistics for both would be that bad compared to just one or the other.

·
Registered
281 Posts
The motorcycles will go out and be about 1hr in front of the cars running the same stages,only the motorcycles will be more of a TSD type of event. We are looking forward to hosting this for the 1st time. :)

·
Registered
924 Posts
so is there already an existing series run in the US like this, and we are incorperating those riders? seems a huge risk as a bike accident has a greater injury potential, thus higher ins, stage delays, negative public view. With the death of riders at Dakar comes calls for it being too dangerous for bikes, i know dakar is more dangerous, but most of those riders are probably more experienced.

·
your other left, you idiot
3,909 Posts
Oly?

They are going to be in FRONT of us? Didn't you guys learn your lesson with McGiver?

>The motorcycles will go out and be about 1hr in front of the
>cars running the same stages,

press on,

·
Registered
281 Posts
Our plan is to give them a set speed at the start of a stage no going as fast as you can more along the lines of a tsd.More for people to see, more help from a new group of workers,a new twist for new sponsors.

·
I have a cat.
3,676 Posts
Are they given roll charts of the course a la AMA Enduro? Do they know where the finish (checkpoint) control is? If its all known, they'll (we'll?) "burn" the stage and sit outside the control until our time to "zero" it. If the stages are the same...and the stage lengths are public...I don't know how you'll make this work. The reason enduros work on avg. speed is because the checks are secret.

Then there will be some who just burn it and say screw the average. :) Don't ask me how I know. They are running their own rally with a results sheet you will never see unless you know which bar we laid our money down in. }(

Anyway, I'm anxious to see how it works! Imagine being able to buy a WRC spec vehicle from your local dealer for less than 10 grand. Such is the world of motorcycles. 'course, it helps if you know how to ride.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.