Special Stage Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have an idea, maybe its commonly done allready maybe not.

people buy a spectator packet.

in that packet is:

the rally pass to get in the stages.

a detailed description of what is going on and what is expected of them.

maps.

discount coupons for gas and food at local businesses.

but, the most important thing of all, stickers. some people really love stickers.

what to charge?

15-25 i would imagine w/a possibilty for family and group rates as well as single or multiple day passes.

also i think that all spectator points should have a marshall with a megaphone and a current start list. as well as info about each team. gotta fill that minute somehow. might as well plug the talent and their sponsors.

just throwing it out there.

tell me what you think.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Charging for a superspecial is one thing...charging for a spot in the woods is another. It's difficult to control access to our spectator spots in the woods. In fact, if a spectator wants to walk into one of the areas, we really have no way to keep them out, since typically, our permit is for the STAGE ROADS. There are also sometimes limitations on charging admission for the use of USFS or DNR lands.

Charging for a spectator packet is a good idea, but there will be some who WON'T pay, and will venture out into the woods on their own...which is what we're trying to avoid...some finite number of people would go off on their own, producing conditions that would cause us to have to cancel stages.

If you can make it work, it could be a worthwhile income stream if you set the price correctly for the area.

Bruce

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
what gets me thinking about things like this is that so many of my non-rally initiated friends and acquantances always ask how much it will cost to watch a rally. they expect to pay.

the trick is to make the packet have enough value to be purchased and still be profitable.

what are the issues w/charging for accessUSFS land? is it a no-no?

i understand that things are different in europe, but i know that you have to pay to watch rally GB. how do they enforce that?

i wonder what kind of a turn out would there have been at the speedway in bemidji a few years ago if we charged $5/head?

the ranch is way better than that slopfest was. for a straight admission i would think 5 a head would be reasonable for the ranch for the night. but would pay more if it included the aforementioned packet. especially if it had cool stickers.

i figure 5 would be good since a movie costs around 7.50 here and that is for roughly two hours of entertainment. and the rally is only about 1 hr. per run through the ranch depending on # of entries. plus you dont have to deal w/making small change which leads to delays. which leads to anoyance.

·
I drive the car.
927 Posts
Charging to spectate is an excellent idea. It can pay for all of those promotion costs that we have been talking about. AND I bet the organizer might even make a little coin to boot.

As far as the area and controlling spectators goes I think that if a rally fan wants the best spot to watch from they will pay for it if the price is reasonable. The first time rally goer will just do what the instructions tell them to do when they buy a ticket.

You'll always have the random guy in the woods on his own.

My opinion on fees would be five bucks per stage or you could buy a package. Even a range of packages could be easily sold. I think rally GB has a simular setup.

Charles
Viva le MR2 #295!!!

·
straight at T
2,472 Posts
For reference, I think the charge for the Hippodrome at Quebec was about $5(CDN). That got you into the heated grandstands to watch two stages. The numbers I heard were in the 3000-5000 range, admittedly in the middle of a reasonable sized city.

Adrian

·
Registered
142 Posts
Would it be possible for a team looking to promote their sponsor to get a timely start order and print up sheets with their sponsor plastered all over it to be handed out at spectator spots. When I work or spectate, especially of late, I have found it sometimes difficult to get an up to date start order sheet. Alot more teams are entering late, and the internet start order is sometimes not up to date.
Typically how soon before the start is the final start order posted ? Would it be possible to get that from the event organizers in a useful format promptly ?
I don't have any sponsors, so this isn't something I would do, but for those who do have one, this would be a good way to get their name in front of a chunk of people.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Rim did this, both for the super special, the vendor areas during the event and the bus to the spectator areas.

I don't know if it was a success or not.

Rally GB has been doing it for some time for both entry to stages and parking. In some places it isn't really policed though.

I think it is a good way to control numbers (by the cost of the ticket) if you have too many spectators.

Glenn

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
I am probably wrong, but doesn't Rally GB charge for the parking not the stages?

Anyhow, that seems like a good idea, charge for parking. This way your not putting manpower on people sneaking in and it will help reduce the amount of cars clogging up the access roads by encouraging carpooling. May not make as much money but...

Rim charged this year, but in my opinion it was way too much money ( to see the stages, the superspecial was reasonably priced) and many of the people I was on the bus with agreed, they were pretty pissed at how much it cost them for what they got to see.

Besides, if you read JVL's post inthe other thread, according to him, you all suck and there is no excitement, so why would anyone pay to see you race?}>

·
Registered
236 Posts
>For reference, I think the charge for the Hippodrome at
>Quebec was about $5(CDN). That got you into the heated
>grandstands to watch two stages. The numbers I heard were in
>the 3000-5000 range, admittedly in the middle of a
>reasonable sized city.
>
>Adrian

When I went, I remember paying at least $10, maybe $15. It was worth it though.

Andrew Harvey

·
Registered
410 Posts
This idea has merit. I like the idea of charging spectators for a nice, informative rally packet with a few donated goodies. I would maybe suggest instead of spectator area tickets including food/drink (venders in spectator area)coupons and parking passes in the packet. This would require less effort to "police" at the event. Maybe a pass to some special ticket only event would be nice? Sit in a real rally car ticket at expose? or some such nonsense? Have your picture taken in a real rally car ticket at expose?

Matt Smith
www.fireantracing.com

·
Registered
352 Posts
Maybe include a raffle ticket in each packet for an opportunity to do a ride-along in one of the pro cars. Good exposure for the pro car sponsor and adds extra value to the packet.

·
Need ride. Please send money.
1,278 Posts
Y'know, I (and presumably others) would be willing to give people rides on the practice stage. If there was/is a way for the orgainzers to raffle sumptin like that off to increase their budget, I would ablige(sp?), as again, that is yet another way to get spectators to remember you/your car/your sponsors(by scaring the carp outa them)}>

Let take that a step further...

Lets say I had a sponsor that I was discussing things with decided to invest in an event(say LSPR) also, to increase their ROI. Would it be possible to organize some sort of small scale hospitality tent in the field near the practice stage? WHat if we "donated" $20/run to the ambulance fund, and $10 or $20/run to the event, and maybe us & one other team could take people for rides? Has anyone thought of this already? I am thinking that the sponsor in question raffles off(or has a local radio station give away "to the 9th caller" a free pass for a ride. THen the sponsor(of the event AND/or our car) could spend a little to advertise the tent ahead of time. I think that would increase turnout for the practice stage(which the event could charge $2 for parking), and this would not effect in any way the real stage speccies. Think of how little this would cost someone, and how memorable it would be for a fan(provided of course that the drivers actually put on a little show).

Does any of this make sense?

Man, if I had money. I see all these opportunities right now. It is the perfect time to be at the head of the wagon here people...

JC
www.rally-tv.com
www.gnimotorsports.com

·
Retired Rally Photographer
2,069 Posts
>Y'know, I (and presumably others) would be willing to give
>people rides on the practice stage. If there was/is a way
>for the orgainzers to raffle sumptin like that off to
>increase their budget, I would ablige(sp?), as again, that
>is yet another way to get spectators to remember you/your
>car/your sponsors(by scaring the carp outa them)}>
>
>Let take that a step further...
>
>Lets say I had a sponsor that I was discussing things with
>decided to invest in an event(say LSPR) also, to increase
>their ROI. Would it be possible to organize some sort of
>small scale hospitality tent in the field near the practice
>stage? WHat if we "donated" $20/run to the ambulance fund,
>and $10 or $20/run to the event, and maybe us & one other
>team could take people for rides? Has anyone thought of this
>already? I am thinking that the sponsor in question raffles
>off(or has a local radio station give away "to the 9th
>caller" a free pass for a ride. THen the sponsor(of the
>event AND/or our car) could spend a little to advertise the
>tent ahead of time. I think that would increase turnout for
>the practice stage(which the event could charge $2 for
>parking), and this would not effect in any way the real
>stage speccies. Think of how little this would cost someone,
>and how memorable it would be for a fan(provided of course
>that the drivers actually put on a little show).
>
>Does any of this make sense?
>
>Man, if I had money. I see all these opportunities right
>now. It is the perfect time to be at the head of the wagon
>here people...

It would, but only if it was a people friendly practice stage. The practice stage at Maine this year was AWFUL for watching. Can't imagine people driving all that way and pay $2 to stand near a tent.

LSPR practice stage near the airport would be good since there is so much open space.

Other issue you may run into is that people are there for rides, and so and so does not want to run practice, or wants to run practice for practice and not for fun rides. Then there is the risk of putting unneeded miles and wear & tear on a car before the event. Also, not many spectators are on hand early Thurs. afternoon when most practice stages happen.

These are all good ideas, but you kinda have to put yourself in the spectators shoes. Need to find something to drag you somewhere you normally wouldn't be.

Now a superspecial type practice stage would be good. Maine occasionally holds that rallycross on Sunday. Setup a tent there for a "win a ride" whatchamacallit. Find a sponsor or two to work with the land owner to pay for using the field. Setup a course where you can run more than one lap without stopping. You'll have a) an open area, b) a safe place for the cars to run and not risk a lot of damage like a stage road, and c) a spot where the people who go can watch. $2 to attend. Some goody bags have a free ride ticket. Other rides can be $10/$20/etc.

I can't see charging to access the stage roads. It was free in the past. People don't want to pay for something that they can easily get for free. Plus, it is easy to get around.

Pete (thinking some during lunchtime)

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
>Rides are where it's at..
>
>Doesnt Tall Pines do this?
>
>I could get 10 people to pay $10 each to ride with me on a
>real stage, right now, and im not even fast!

hell, we have people that want to ride in street cars at rallyx. its just fun to be in a car driven w/reckless abandon.

the reason i suggested the coupons for local restaurants and gas stations was to support the community hosting the event and foster a better connection and let them know just how much business they are getting. you ever try to eat at perkins in bemidji on saturday morning of OFPR? its packed w/rally people as is any place in town.

i think food vendors is a great idea at stages. especially if it is a spot used twice.

·
Slid'n around 'n havin a ball
2,953 Posts
RE: People don't want to pay...

"People don't want to pay for something that they can easily get for free."
like:
TV
radio
water
internet
other stuff (think red-light related).
rz

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Rally GB charges for parking, and they have control of all the parking areas anywhere near the spectator area. They also control the surrounding land and the access roads as well as the stage roads...this is a big advantage.

One reason most organizers haven't pursued this is that it's worker-intensive...extra people to sell tickets (at dozens of places, if you do it right) and enough extra to check tickets at every entry location. Most events are a bit short of workers already.

As someone mentioned, a sponsor or sponsors could come forward and make the spectating experience better...please encourage yours to do so...we're always open to new ideas.

Putting my lawyer hat on for a moment, you open a whole bag of worms WRT liability when you start to charge admission...you add extra duties to protect someone who paid to get in. At the very least, it should add entire new sections to the safety plan...at worst, insurance rates might rise. <lawyer mode off>

Not trying to rain on anybody's parade, just trying to make sure all facets of the question are presented.

Bruce

1 - 20 of 28 Posts