Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Sucker for good roads
717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Next weekend should be awesome! This has got to be the tightest season finish ever. 6 titles are still up for grabs, and none are led by more than 3 points.

Headlining the battles will be Utecht/Secor vs. Mitchell/Donnelly. Just 2 points separate the GpN leaders. Almost certainly the winner between those two cars will take the championship and the big cash prize. It all comes down to the winner between them on one event! I expect great things!

Another huge award being decided there is the Woodner Cup. Whiteman has a 1-point lead over Shepherd (who has already clinched Gp5) and Burmeister, who are tied. Fuller is 14 points back. In the co-drivers competition Paulin and Gladysz are tied, with Call 13 points back. I don?t think Fuller and Call are going. Again, with margins this close, the first to finish among those top teams will almost certainly take the Cup. The 8th and final points event will decide all! Does it get any better than that?

Group 2 is another championship to be settled at this one event. With Burmeister only 3 points ahead of Whiteman, again this class will probably be won by the winner between these two on this one event!

Finally, the Production GT standings have Davis leading Maciukevicious by only 1 point! Another year-long race to be settled in favor of the top finisher at the final event.

Unless you?ve already clinched or been eliminated, you can?t be going into Lake Superior comfortable, or with too conservative a strategy (just finish). All remaining races are pretty much winner takes all. Everybody mentioned above (except Fuller/Call) totally controls their own destiny, in that if they win their class at this event, they win their championship. This is hot stuff! It?s got to be unprecedented that with 6 titles not yet clinched, even 2nd place won?t guarantee the title to any of the leaders.

I?m greatly looking forward to seeing the results trickle in!

Rick Hintz

(Technical details ? unless all contenders tie, DNF, or finish out of the points, in which case obviously the current leader takes the championship, here?s the deal: GpN ? the winner between these two at LS will win the championship unless they both get beat by at least 2 other GpN teams and Utecht/Secor finish exactly one position behind Mitchell/Donnelly, or Mitchell/Donnelly beat Utecht/Secor but they both finish out of the top 5 ? unlikely (Mitchell/Donnelly hold the tie-breaker). Woodner ? the winner between these top three drivers/top two co-drivers at LS will win the Cup unless they all get beat by at least 6 other 2wd teams, plus a bunch of other circumstances pile up that combined are too unlikely to figure - (tie-breaker orders are Shepherd, Whiteman, Burmeister and Gladysz, Paulin). Gp2 ? the winner between these two at LS will win the championship unless they both get beat by at least two other Gp2 teams and Burmeister finishes exactly one position behind Whiteman, or if they both get beat by at least 6 other Gp2 teams plus other unlikely circumstance combinations (Whiteman holds the tiebreaker). PGT ? the winner between these two at LS will win the championship unless they both get beat by at least 9 other PGT teams and other unlikely circumstances (Maciukevicious holds the tie-breaker).)

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Not only are there close races, they are in fairly well subscribed classes. This is almost as much fun as the factory production (P & GT) battles of the mid 80's. Almost only because I'm not fortunate enough to be involved in any of them. Good luck to all, and may the best emerge victorious.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Not involved in them? Whaddya mean, Joe? You were in my other seat at Rim...that makes you sort of involved, eh?

Lurch

·
Faster Mabricator
3,611 Posts
Don't forget about North American Rally Cup championships. Will McGeer show to defend his title? Hope so.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Well, I wouldn't be in this position if you hadn't directed me backwards 100 yards with flat tires in the monsoon dodging rallycars on Del Sur.

Despite who often gets the recognition, this is a TEAM sport and everyone who has played on OUR team this year is an all-star. That goes for you, Ole, Cindy, (Quiet)Brian, Jon (Starsky), Tom (Zoolander), Henry (TM), Kurt, Jeremy, The Derek, Jerry, Brenda, Pop, Mom (cookies), Randy (the competition's dad...and Uhaul dealer), Chris (the Talent), Mike (G2codriverChamp), James (Choad), Chad, Jeff, Matt, Jim, the other Jim, Steve, Mark, Marvin, Ed, Lorne, Arek, Don, Todd, Darin, Trevor, Sweep crew from OT...and I'm sure more who I can't remember right now.

Win or lose, we have had a great season. (win...definitely.) ;)

Thank you all.

Eric

·
Registered
34 Posts
Take a closer look at Burmeister vs. Whiteman:

College roommates at Michigan Tech!

Chris introduced Eric to motocross

Eric introduced Chris to PRO Rally

Eric helped engineer Chris' car

Both work in the auto industry

Only one will win group 2

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
>Eric helped engineer Chris' car

And Chris helped me engineer my car, too...and is my graphics sponsor.
And Mike Paulin (codriver) did a lot of the wiring on it.

Chris is an engineer for DCX.
Mike is a wiring harness engineer for Lear.
And I am styling type guy currently working at the blue potato.

And Doug, just what is it that you do over there at the ram's head?
:)

Lurch

·
Registered
533 Posts
Interestingly, it appears that the GrpN championship will be determined in both SCCA and WRC this weekend, and both championships are going to be won by Subarus.

JB

·
Registered
240 Posts
Wow! This looks exciting! No less than 8 very good drivers in open capable of wining the event. This has to be one of the best fields since MFR 2002. Looks like the close championships are forcing people to the point where they have to push hard. Utechts role Burmeister did something. Should be fun to watch on TV if they follow it well.

·
Sucker for good roads
717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm really interested in hearing some reasons behind the stage times. And what Pasi's big penalty was. Pasi was really moving. How did the rolls happen?

Out of those 6 championships up for grabs, only 1 was tied coming in. All 5 leaders got taken from behind. Amazing event, and season.

I also really want to see the '04 Pro schedule.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Now imagine that the SCCA Pro Rally championship was Grp N, rather than open. I bet there would be even more international entries.

It was very controversial in Australia when the Australian Rally Championship moved to Group N in 2002, but turned out to be a more popular and successful series with many private teams going up against the manufacturer teams (Subaru and Mitsubishi).

Glenn

·
Registered
29 Posts
Pasi's "big penalty" was no doubt taken at control or service as with only 2 events under his belt, he was not contending for a championship, while Lagemann was. It's a team orders situation.

Edit: I did the math, if Lagemann had finished 3rd and O'Neil had finished where he did (8th), they would have tied for 3rd in the championship (60 pts). By switching Pasi and Lagemann's finish position, they assured Lagemann of 3rd by himself. (Lagemann 63 pts; O'Neil 60 pts) I have forgotten how the tiebreaker is decided in case of ties for the championship, maybe someone else could refresh my memory. I think it has something to do with results in the previous events.

·
Registered
946 Posts
>Pasi's "big penalty" was no doubt taken at control or
>service as with only 2 events under his belt, he was not
>contending for a championship, while Lagemann was. It's a
>team orders situation.
>
>Edit: I did the math, if Lagemann had finished 3rd and
>O'Neil had finished where he did (8th), they would have tied
>for 3rd in the championship (60 pts). By switching Pasi and
>Lagemann's finish position, they assured Lagemann of 3rd by
>himself. (Lagemann 63 pts; O'Neil 60 pts) I have forgotten
>how the tiebreaker is decided in case of ties for the
>championship, maybe someone else could refresh my memory. I
>think it has something to do with results in the previous
>events.

In case of a tie, its decided by comparing overall wins, most wins the tie, if still tied, then compare 2nd places, and so on until tie broken. So its based on who had highest results during year instead of steady results (sounds like Ramana's year to me)

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Pasi's navigator requested the wrong in time at final MTC on Friday. Control worker asked if he was sure. Result: 19 min (3:48) error. No one I've talked to can figure out how you miss by 19 minutes.

Ramana's stage time on Delaware is the slowest time for the stage (per Rule 7.something). He shortcut the delta at the spectator point. Looked like the note may have been read late.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts