Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Shotgun!
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Gauging interest for an intercom to Cell phone adapter. I was going to see what I can make of it and just wanted to find out if there was any interest.

FMT-120 to iPhone, iPod, Black Berry, HTC etc Finished. $50ea +shipping. half the cost of the OEM. E-mail, PM and or hit my site up.

FMT-120 interface OR TerraPhone Pro - Cell Phone and Mobile radio (Wouxun, Yaesu or iCom) Finished. $190ea +shipping. No OEM equivlent available. And less than half the cost of there less capable option (FL9MQ + TK53 + TK52= Price it out and see)

YouTube Video

·
Shotgun!
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
At this point I am thinking <$100. I will mock something up on the test bench and see what's what this weekend.

(2-Way radio communication should also be available with it. I would just need to know what kind of connector the radio uses)

·
Registered
661 Posts
Would this just be an AUX connection on the phone to the intercom? If so... count me in 100%. I have a Peltor FMT120 and would love to have the AUX output on my phone input into the intercom. Would be tremendously useful. I tried bugging Peltor USA to get the product in from Europe, but they won't start distributing until they see a bigger interest.

·
Dramamine is for DramaQueens
4,813 Posts
I'm interested as well - also have a FMT 120 you can use as a test mule.

·
4,813 Posts
Ideally iPhone connection AND Yaesu radio connection. I can get you the pinouts for the mic plug (standard RJ11)

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
So you envision this product being duel purpose cell phone/ ham radio to FMT 120? I'm in.

·
Shotgun!
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My "idea" was to make a setup to be plugged between the intercom and one of the helmets. Originally I was thinking of just a cell phone but I cant see why a radio interface would not be too much of a stretch as well.

·
4,813 Posts
The FMT 120 has outputs for everything needed as well as for a PTT button. It would be great (for some of us) to work to those standards. Going between the amp and the helmets/headsets is probably a great work-around though.

·
Shotgun!
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Why not just order the accessories that Peltor offers for a phone/radio? it is a price thing? or availability? By the price on Deamon Tweaks it looks reasonable (sort of)
Granted its a one or another kind of thing.

I am sure I could make a setup to combine both phone and radio with the FMT120 (listen to both at the same time). Incorporate a push to talk that is either selectable or a separate button for each. what ever a persons preference.

SOOO I guess the first question would be what is in demand here? A universal unit that plugs between an intercoms helmet and the unit? Or is the need for a system for the FMT120?

BTW I am available for one off projects. If you have a need drop me a line.

·
4,813 Posts
availability is the issue.
Deamon Tweeks might show the items but that doesn't mean they are available. (admittedly I haven't tried)
There is also some fear/suspicion that what they offer might not be the right fit... I have yet to find anything that gives reliable info on the actual connections. (IE Pix don't match what I'd expect)

·
Shotgun!
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well now I think I can help Keith. Like I mentioned in our other discussions, we need to get together and sort it out.

Don't be shy for everyone else watching the thread. Whats your need/wish list?

·
4,813 Posts
Just looked at DT and their phone adapter for the FMT 120 looks like it should work fine actually. (seeing if Shawn can get it)
If he can get it, adapting that to work with a radio would be the custom work I'd want done (and would likely be absurdly simple)

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
The peltor stuff for the FMT 120 is an expensive guess if it will work for what you want or not. Hard to tell from pictures, etc. Also nice to work with a stateside rally fan that likes to noodle through electron movements... grassroot style.

So my perfect project: A cable that plugs into the 120 that comes down and splits into a 2m and a cell phone. a PTT that cost less than the Peltor.

·
Zero Cents!
311 Posts
Sign me up for a radio interface cable for the yaesu radio. I've been looking for quite some time.

Eric
For the FMT-120:

http://www.ruggedradios.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=53_48&products_id=96

I'm not sure if the pin out is the same at the XLR end, but I'm planning on picking one of these up in the next few weeks. At the worst, a little bit of re-soldering should make things work.

Then the next thing is to make up a PTT and I'll be good to go. I already sourced some 3 wire coiled cords to use for the PTT, just need the Nexus Plug and a button.

Does anyone know where to get their hands on the "Y-Connector" cover like used in the above cord, or in the Peltor setups?

-M

·
Zero Cents!
311 Posts
Might I remind you of this link:http://www.targamiata.com/diary.php?UID=892 which you yourself posted Eric. That's what I used when I made up my FT-2900R audio out to FMT-120 audio in setup.

I have enough bits to make the cable like I posted myself, just need to find the Y housing and do a little bit more playing. Anyone have a helmet handy, I'm back on the road and can't look to see if the Y housing has any kind of ID on it.

The PTT is a Nexus MP-101 which can be had for under $1.50 a piece. The R-12 6 pin that goes in the front of the Yaesu can be sourced at Lowes. The 5 Pin Mini-XLR is around $7.50 and the audio jack is a few dollars depending on 3 or 4 pin. So really, none of the parts are all that pricey.

·
Shotgun!
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Peltor FMT-120 Cell Phone adapter (For BlackBerry and iPhone) Done! $50 +shipping let me know what length you want. should work with all phones supporting the "standard" 3.5mm 4pin headset sorry remote functions not available.

Just finishing up a setup that brings together a FMT-120, Mobile Yaesu, Cell Phone (BB or iPhone). Will post pics shortly.

Next week I will start working on a universal Phone/Portable Ham unit for TerraPhone and one for Peltor intercoms...

PM me or contact me via my website for more details/orders (dont have the FMT-120 to cell phone cord on the net yet)

1 - 20 of 41 Posts