Special Stage Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
2,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pete Morris (building "Son of CoROLLa") I have been asked before why I use caution tape. I go out of my way to use the stuff. If you see caution tape on a Treeline stage, it's there for a good reason, eg. 90 left with exposure on right-read 500-600ft down with no berm to stop you or slow you down. See caution tape, think CAUTION! If anyone local wants to take a drive over the roads after Treeline, contact me and I will take you on a tour. Neon pink arrows will be out again this year for the severity of the corners.

·
Registered
156 Posts
If there is a corner you're pretty sure someone will miss I like to put extra tape. One low to drive through, one high to drive under and a couple further up the road for when the other ones get ripped down.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
I can not stress enough about putting as much banner tape out on stages to make sure spectators and competitors are safe-wise taken care of and assure that SAFETY is the key word in the minds of the organizers.
I have just had a e-mail discussion with Phil Pausmer and he has made certain to get us extra banner tape for Gorman and Treeline. Subaru is taking this very seriously that this should not hopefully happen again. I hope that the other manaufacturers and SCCA will help all rallys club/pro across the country to either put extra dollars in their rally dept. budget either this year or next on the making of banner tape and give to all organizers across the country.

I do not know if everybody remembers the uneventful time quite a few years back ....that two well-know competitors died on a hot stage, plus a spectator... going in the wrong direction. I think some you older rally drivers remember that black day and want to forget it. I know my husband does not want to talk about it... they were very good friends.
I think that says it all.

Denise McMahon
Co-Organizer
Treeline Rally

·
Banned
2,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Pete Morris (building "Son of CoROLLa"). Because SCCA is SOOO big on safety, as I and probably 99% of competitors, volunteers et al, why doesn't SCCA pay for our bannering and tape that we need? It can be any colour they like as long as it can be seen way in advance during the day or night AND they can have SCCA printed on it to give them publicity too!I'm sure that if they put in a big order, costs would be minimal. Only to be given to rally organizers for their events. After all, they know exactly how much they would need for their event.Just a thought.If I can buy the stuff from Home Depot for a couple of bucks a roll, what would the cost be to them for a bulk order from the manufacturer and get their advertising done on the events?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Once again I put on my old "Sponsors Cap" so maybe a few organisers can go out and sell the idea of Banner Tape/Safety Tape?Caution Tape, whatever you want to call it. When my company sponsored Rally New Zealand we used 24" x 36" repetitive tape and 6" x 18" repetitive tape.

There are plenty of printers around that have the equipment to do it. We did 300km (180 miles)of tape a year, the organisers used the narrow version (200km)and the company used the wider type. It cost less than $3000 for three color print and we probably got $100,000 of exposure in return. We encouraged its use, sure it was souvenired or trashed after the event, no one gave a damn but it served its purpose during the event. The stuff was so damn cheap the most expensive part was actually shipping it to the various Stage Captains.

The Stage Captains had their orders. If in doubt, tape it, if someone else is in doubt, DOUBLE TAPE it!!!!!

At the end of the day, it is the cheapest form of insurance an organiser can have. 50 yards of it can do the job of two marshals, it adds color, gives an air of professionalism and can actually save life and limb.

After the the most recent incident I can't understand why certain powers that be haven't pulled their finger out and gone out and sold a whole national package deal!!!!!

Just my 2 cents worth (or 4 and a 4/2 foot of safety tape)

Don

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
There still is, but is seems to be a prophit center for the SCCA and many events have gone to yellew "do not cross" tape to save some dollars.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
>There still is, but is seems to be a prophit center for the
>SCCA and many events have gone to yellew "do not cross" tape
>to save some dollars.

We priced custom tape, and SCCA ain't making much of a profit - if any - on their tape. The generic stuff is made in massive quantities and is thus dirt cheap.

Bruce

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
So, does the custom SCCA stuff provide better warning to oncoming cars?

On a slight departure, but on the same subject, SCCA/Kurt are getting plenty from the manufacturers for fluff; some of that fluff should be spent on liberally provided banner tape. The SCCA/Manufacturer/Kurt triumverate can print anything they want on it. It should be provided gratis to all organizers.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.