Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a section in the rule book about seating? I know there is a section about mounting. But what about seats other than OEM?

·
Registered
213 Posts
There's no restriction on seats, Mat. You can basically put in whatever you want. If the seat does not come with proper openings for the belts to pass through, however, then the seat must have bolstering to prevent sideways motion. And no, you can't put holes in the seat yourself.........

Having been in rallies in both street seats and race seats, though, believe me, you will be MUCH happier after the rally is over if you were sitting in a properly padded racing seat. Your body takes a pounding in a rally, and a race seat lessens the motion considerably.

It's like the difference between a good night's rest and a night having slept "wrong", you know what I mean?

Dave

·
straight at T
2,472 Posts
>And for the most part they are much safer.

I second that. Being in a race seat saved me from injury last year. I will not ride in a car that doesn't have race seats.

Adrian

·
Registered
280 Posts
sorry Dave i dont want to argu whit you but...

we have run 4 event 2 sprint one regional and one national whit our seat perce on the botom for the 5 point ?....no body said noting...i even often saw lots of otter team whit the same setup.

i agrew...its not the best...and not the safest....

this topic drew my attention coz im pretty shure i check befor we went doing performance rally whit some peirce seats...

if you look in the harness section (page B 12 (D) in the french 2002 rules book..... the 2003 is still in my lugage )

its sawing that to get the good position of your harness you mite have to make a hole in the OEM seat....so i guess that its ok ....

"Pour ce faire le siege de série poura etre percé. Il faut éviter que les sangles puisse etre usées en frottant contre des aretes vives "

it mite have change for 2003? or mite be a tranlation error ?:+

any way....i finaly found a seat that i fit in...the only problem is that it dosent fit in the car.. LOL....

Alain Lavoie
24Rallyteam
http://www.abikeonline.com/24rallyteam/

·
Registered
730 Posts
It's still there in the English version:

NRR II.C.3.d:
The lap belt and crotch straps should not pass over the sides of the seat, but through the seat in order to wrap and hold the pelvic region over the greatest possible surface.
The lap straps must fit tightly in the bend between the pelvic crest and the upper thigh. Under no circumstances may they be worn over the region of the abdomen.
Holes may be made in the seat if this proves to be necessary in order to avoid such an occurrence. Care must be taken that the straps cannot be damaged through chafing against sharp edges.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Alain;
I just checked the online rule book. You are correct. I stand corrected (well, actually I'm sitting right now.......)

It used to be that you couldn't put holes in the seat, because if the belt was bent at an angle through the hole in the seat, then the seat could rip further in an accident, which would loosen the belt and allow the competitor further movement forward or sideways.

Okay, so I would now say that, yes, you can put a hole in your seat. I just wouldn't recommend it for the above reason.

Dave

1 - 8 of 8 Posts