Special Stage Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This years Pacific rally rocked! To bad SCCA isnt as good as the Canadian rally organization. It really felt good to be able to view the stages from anywhere me and my friends wanted. Does anybody know if there are any websites that contain video clips from PFR?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah, ive heard rumors that they might tighten spectating like SCCA did. I think that it will effect them a little more than here in the states. The spectating there is way bigger than here. You should have seen all the people on the stages there, even when SCCA had open spectating, there werent as many people here!

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
I did, I was there ;)

While it was certainly a nicer experience than STPR but something needs to be done. I saw three families with babies in carriages walking down a stage that the 00 car had already passed through. I can't begin to tell you how much stupid stuff I have seen at Charlevoix

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ohh dude, I know! its absolutely ridiculos what some people do. Ive seen some amazingly stupid people. I know for a fact that you are familiar with the Brockway pass at LSPR. Ive seen amateur photographers and spectators stand right in the road when cars were launching at like 80mph.

·
Registered
497 Posts
I got to spectate at the Helmer stage after we went out, the one with the babie carriages on it. That was ridiculas. I don't know why they let them on the stage.

Plain and simple, I think we need more workers.

With the anouncement of in-town 'tarmac' stages with grand stands next year, the town will no doubt be filled with even more people. Hopefully that will keep the ill-prepared and less informed spectators off the wooden stages. Don't take that the wrong way please, I'm not trying to start something.

Cheers,

·
Registered
901 Posts
Plain and simple, if we need more workers, then VOLUNTEER.

If you know you're going to be at the rally, and you know that the organizers need more workers, and you say these things on this forum, why not do something about it?? As a road marshal, I often got to sit on some fantastic pieces of road, with better spectating than at the official spectator site, and I was helping out.

I can't tell you how many times I've seen people talk here about how the rallies need more workers, and then don't do anything about it. Rally workers are just like you and me, the only difference is, instead of going to a rally to spectate and whine about the conditions, they actually DO something about it.

Yeah, every rally needs more workers. Especially now, with all the problems with spectators. There have been some people who say they're going to a rally to spectate, and then volunteer once they are there; KUDOS to you folks!

Now, what about the rest of you??

The gauntlet has been thrown!! Do you have what it takes to volunteer for this sport you all profess to love so much?

:) KT
*editted spectators in the first sentence to workers... my original intent! :) *

·
Registered
497 Posts
>I can't tell you how many times I've seen people talk here
>about how the rallies need more workers, and then don't do
>anything about it. Rally workers are just like you and me,
>the only difference is, instead of going to a rally to
>spectate and whine about the conditions, they actually DO
>something about it.

I don't know if this was directed at me, but if it was, I was a competitor who DNF'ed early on in the rally, so I had a chance to spectate.

Cheers,

·
Registered
665 Posts
>>This years Pacific rally rocked! To bad SCCA isnt as good
>>as the Canadian rally organization.
>
>Shhh.
>We wouldn't want any SCCA types to come up and ruin what
>CARS has.

No worries. The right to ruin stuff isn't entrenched in our constitution.

Robin

·
Registered
730 Posts
>With the anouncement of in-town 'tarmac' stages with grand
>stands next year, the town will no doubt be filled with even
>more people.

Part of the concept with the in-town stage is to increase the involvement from town folks, in the same way they do at events like Targa Newfoundland. The stage is going past your driveway, so we enlist you as a volunteer, train you, give you more responsibility and ownership of the event. Then, (ta-da!) we have 200 more trained marshalls potentially available for the forest stages.

I should point out that the initiative for this came first from the Mayor. He actually wanted us to do it this year, but the time was too tight for us to get everything in place.

By the way, I heard a great comment from one of the service crews: From the downtown service park, he could just see Princeton Cutoff Road (SS1, SS4 & SS5) across the valley, and could make out 4 dust trails at once, snaking across the hill side. He said, all that was missing was the soundtrack with the ride of the valkyries!

·
Registered
901 Posts
This wasn't necessarily directed at you; but if you had DNF'd, and knew that they needed more workers, why not volunteer? Would have definitely helped out, and you would still have got to spectate.

I can't say it enough: what's wrong with giving something back to the sport we all love? If you know they need more workers, and you're going to be there spectating, why not volunteer?

Anyway, that's all. I know that those folks up north put on some fantastic rallies... it's good to know that they pulled another one off!

:) KT

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
dude, this site is mad funny. I love it how people attack you if you post a somewhat negative post. All i can say is that canadians KICK ASS! Their cars are amazing, including their setups. SCCAPro Rally does have a handful of decent cars.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Then spectate in Canada. Why denigrate US rally? A serious incident occured... and there must be a serious response to said incident. If you want to spectate like an idiot... go to Portugal... oh wait, that event isn't on the WRC calender anymore because of idiots like you.

Philip J. Boer
[email protected]

·
Registered
497 Posts
I don't want to get into it, but after what happened to me, I really wasn't in the mood to work. I had enough things to worry about, I had just payed a rather large towing fee and waited for it 6 hours. I had time for one last stage of spectating.

I know you didn't know that, and I get your point, but I didn't feel obligated or would I again, to work after being in that situation.

Cheers,

·
Registered
374 Posts
What is not mature about my comment? You have been praising Canada for its lax spectator safety... and slamming SCCA for it's protective measures. I am sorry to say that if spectators keep being killed at rallies... Rally will not survive in the US. Granted my idiot comment wasn't necessary... but the fact is the same.

Philip J. Boer
[email protected]

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I understand that rally will not survive if more spectator fatalities occur. Id like to know how WRC and Canada handles its spectator issues? When i view a WRC event there are TONS of people out on the stages, the same goes with Canadian events. I know for a fact that fatalities occur both at Canadian and WRC events. I know that SCCA is know where near WRC level, even thought we do run FIA spec cars.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts