Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

TORONTO ? February 5,2004: The newly formed Rally Development Group (RDG) has licensed broadcast and marketing rights to Canada?s leading motorsport series, The Canadian Rally Championship (CRC) and is giving it a powerful boost in terms of funding and exposure.

For 2004, The Canadian Rally Championship will incorporate six events across Canada sanctioned and run by CARS (the Canadian Association of Rallysport). Five of these event (the timing precludes televising of the upcoming Rallye Perce-Neige Maniwaki) plus a year-end Wrap Up show will be seen across the country in English and French on network television. RDG is currently finalizing details with broadcasters and producers.

New to the CRC will be a $50,000 competitor travel fund designed to assist and reward competitors who enter all of the CRC events.

Increased promotion and sponsorship will create large fields of competitors for each event adding to the excitement and prominence of the Championship.

Several new sponsors are being attracted to the invigorated program. Subaru Canada is already on board as a major presenting sponsor.

Keith Townsend and Jud Buchanan lead RDG. Both principals have been drivers and currently are involved in the organization and management of the sport. They have extensive organizing and sponsor experience in many forms of motorsport in Canada. Their goal is to bring Rallysport to the national stage as a top sporting event. ?It is true to the Canadian spirit,? comments Townsend, noting that rally driving conditions are exactly what Canadian drivers face every day since the driving is on real roads rather than closed racetracks.

Marcovitch PR has been retained as communications consultant. ?This is a huge area of motorsport that Canadians can relate to,? explains MPR?s John Morris.

?The cars in the CRC are models Canadian consumers see on the roads everyday. Rally racers drive modified stock versions of a booming segment in Canada, the sports compact vehicle,? notes Buchanan, adding, ?This series is going to capture the market.?

-- 30 --

For information:
John Morris, 416-963-3222
Jud Buchanan 905-873-7163

2004 Canadian Rally Championship

·Feb 6 ? 8
Rallye Perce-Neige Maniwaki
Maniwaki, Quebec

·May 28 ? 30
Rocky Mountain Rally
Calgary, Alberta

·July 2 ? 3
Rallye Baie Des Chaleurs
New Richmond, Quebec

·Sep 10 ? 11
Rallye Defi Ste-Agathe/Duhamel
Ste-Agathe, Quebec

·Oct 15 ? 16
Pacific Forest Rally
Merritt, British Columbia

·Nov 19 ? 20
Rally of The Tall Pines
Bancroft, Ontario

·
Faster Mabricator
3,611 Posts
Terrific news!

>New to the CRC will be a $50,000 competitor travel fund
>designed to assist and reward competitors who enter all of
>the CRC events.

Keith,
Can you explain further?

The funds will not be available until TallPines to insure the competitors enter all 6 events?

Funds will be available for both drivers or codrivers who compete in all 6?

Any word on if we'll have a east-west-east train around either Rocky Mtn or PFR?

Thanks.

·
Dramamine is for DramaQueens
4,813 Posts
RE: Terrific news!

Dave - another Keith will have the real answer, but I'd expect (suggest) that in all fairness the rally that starts the day after the announcement of the Travel fund can't possibly be in the count to qualify for assistance. A requirement to run all 6 at this point would be an incredible slap in the face to Western competitors ...

·
Premium Member
803 Posts

I too think that a requirement of all 6 events doesn't make sense.

Last year only 2 drivers did all 8 - So $25,000 each. hmmmmm....

Details to be worked out - I'm sure.

Shawn

·
CR>R5 into L3- 100 Finish
626 Posts
I wish potential sponsors here in the US were so enthusiastic.

Whiplash RallyeSport

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

We are still working with CARS and the events ogranizers to determine the best way to distribute the $50K. The basic principles are:
- for 2004, the payout will commence at the Rocky Mountain Rally.
- the entire $50K will be paid out in 2004. Any left over will be redistributed at the end of the season.
- all competitors eligible to score points in the Canadian Championship will be eligible.
- competitors will NOT have to enter ALL events. Pay out amounts will be determined for each individual event.

It is our intention to establish and publish a payment schedule so that competitors will know exactly what their entitlement is for a given event before they enter. We also intend to disburse the funds at each event ? get the money into the hands of the competitors when it is most needed.

Stay tuned for further details.

·
Registered
33 Posts

>A requirement to run all 6 at this point would be an
>incredible slap in the face to Western competitors ...

Keith M., I'm getting tired of all of this Western angst of yours! None of us in the unwashed East sit around and scheme how we can screw the West.

To suggest that somehow the RDG's efforts are a "slap in the face to Western Competitors" is a HUGE stretch. Clearly, as Shawn points out,
details need to be worked out. If the $50K is to be awarded to only those running the 6 events then many of us Easterners who have nor run the PN are also being slapped.

If anything, encouraging competitors to run the full series is a great way to have more of us Easterners sample the great Western events, train or no train. Let's drop all this West vs. East BS once and for all!

Yavor

·
Flat everywhere
341 Posts

>>A requirement to run all 6 at this point would be an
>>incredible slap in the face to Western competitors ...
>
>Keith M., I'm getting tired of all of this Western angst of
>yours! None of us in the unwashed East sit around and scheme
>how we can screw the West.
>
>To suggest that somehow the RDG's efforts are a "slap in the
>face to Western Competitors" is a HUGE stretch. Clearly, as
>Shawn points out,
>details need to be worked out. If the $50K is to be awarded
>to only those running the 6 events then many of us
>Easterners who have nor run the PN are also being slapped.
>
>If anything, encouraging competitors to run the full series
>is a great way to have more of us Easterners sample the
>great Western events, train or no train. Let's drop all this
>West vs. East BS once and for all!
>
>Yavor
>
>
>
>
>
>
I think this post is best to be ignored, but I can't. I don't know how you interpreted what keith said to mean what you miss quoted. I know keith fairly well and have never once heard him say anything bad about the "east". What I think he was saying was to clear up any confusion or worry to competitors who did not make it to the first event of the year. I don't believe he was saying anything about CARS or the RDG and the east leaving out the west as you seem to think. I know this because we discussed this earlier in the day and this never even came up. Please don't put words in someones mouth and miss quote them, the media and rumour do that enough in the non-rally world, lets not do it here. I think it is great that there is a good travel fund this year and look forward to an exciting and challenging season.

Colin Armstrong

·
4,813 Posts

>If anything, encouraging competitors to run the full series
>is a great way to have more of us Easterners sample the
>great Western events, train or no train.

Yavor, I couldn't agree with you more on this point, and I'm sorry of you took offense at my commets - however to some degree you missread my intent.

Dave's post suggested that running all 6 events might be a requirement for receiving a portion of the travel funds. I was simply voicing my thoughts that (as RDG has since stated) that it was not reasonable to require all 6 events in 2004.

As for the east vs. west thing ...

Do I think that there are 'easterners' planning against the West ... no.
That said, there is definately an inequity in the ability to run a national campaign. Western competitors absolutly MUST travel to the east to simply qualify for the championship (in each of the past two years we have had competitors who could have won class championships, but who didn't start enough events ...) and a competitor living in the Ottawa area can qualify for the championship with less than 1,000 total towing mileage. (we have 1200Km for Just two events)

But ... That's OK. Rallying in the west is growing rapidly, and thereare more new cars and drivers tahn I can count.

As for RDG - they have an ambitious plan, and I hope they can pull it off the way they want to, and the way the sport needs.

Cheers,

·
Faster Mabricator
3,611 Posts

I would like to complain that there are no Canadian Rally Championship events in the US near me. }>

·
Registered
280 Posts
This is all great news! caint whait to have all the details.

on a sad note...i wish Subaru was still doing his contengency program...this is a big loss.....i would of hope to lurned about it before registration at P-N ? i find there is not alot of comunication....its not the end of the world..but it could be better.

The new "Machine Autority" production class sponsor is better then nothing...but ? dont you find those guyse are getting a incredible deal for a 1000$ ???? do they give more to the serie or is this it ? coz those sticker are huge! we ad no place to put them on our hood ?

Its cool..i will do my best to go get that 1000$...and im greatfull to to machine autority to get involve in our sports...but in a way i just hope...that CARS and RDG will not sell out massive exposer like that just for a 1000$ ? it just dosent sound rigth ?

Alain Lavoie
24Rallyteam
http://www.abikeonline.com/24rallyteam/

·
4,813 Posts
Alain,

I have not heard about the 'Machine Authourity' sponsor ... can you expand on this?

·
Registered
280 Posts
Its a new $ award for the production team that will score the most point in there class, not overall...

all production class compete against each otter p1-p2-p3-p4 for 1000$ at the end...its pretty cool...better then noting and im happy that at least we do have the chance to win a litle something

to enter...we have to place some HUGE sticker on the hood...and side of the car...and wen i mean...HUGE....i mean super ultra mega BIG! praticaly the size of the door panel.... the one's on the side are not that bad...its mostly the one for the hood.

I know better then bitchin against sponsors that wants to help us...they dont have to....and im glad they do get involve....

but i did wonder...for a long time...if it was worted to place that big of a sticker on my car...coz, i like to think that a place that big on my car....even if its just a Justy...is worth more than 1000$. and if my otter sponsor find out that they can just give 1000$ and have sticker that big place on almost all the production car...well..its a much better deal then giving me the 1000$;-)

anyway...i did find a place for the stickers...and i hope more initiative like that will be taken...but i mite suggest to reduce the size of the decals...coz whit 2 more sponsors like that the only place left on the car will be the windshild :+

I have no idea...what this company is... from what i understoud its from somebody very close to our sport? mite be a retiered driver...or even a driver thats still compete...maybe he wants to stay anonimous...i dont know...

Alain Lavoie
24Rallyteam

·
R6 300 FOC!
1,513 Posts
Hopefully someone steps in with some official details about this sponsorship (or even a proper announcement), because it seems like this company is getting a mega deal, and someone is possibly selling out the sport for too cheap. I think Alain hit on the key point. If a sponsor can get big decals on every P car for a whole season for $4000 (or is it just $1000?), what hope is there for any team to get personal sponsors? I guess this program isn't mandatory, but I think a control on the size of contingency decals would be a good thing...at least then your personal sponsors still get priority placement and size. Like the SCCA contingency decals.

·
Registered
555 Posts
let's not get carried away here...I have not heard a peep about this EVER. not that I know much at all, but I may be privy to more than at least a few others...

·
Registered
280 Posts
>let's not get carried away here...

I really dont want to start any trouble heer...Im shure its all worked out...and we will all benefit from it.

i really did not want to offend anyone...i know everybody is working to help out the best they can. and we really do apreciate it.

Alain Lavoie
24Rallyteam

·
Premium Member
803 Posts
There may be other things involved as well .... usually when a contingency sponsor or other sponsor comes on board, they also contribute something to the organization's PR fund (at least I hope so).... Not sure if this is happening or not.

Still to me seems like a lot of exposure for not much cost. Maybe I can cover all the cars with 'Rocky' decals for $1000 :+

Shawn

ps. Anyone got a pic of this giant size decal?

·
4,813 Posts
Personally I appreciate the fact that someone is willing to throw money at a contingency program for the series.

if someone wants to do this , and require people to carry HUGE decals, then I say GREAT - as long as participation is voluntary. In fact the rules are prety clear taht there are only a few 'protected' spots on the car, and beyond that you really can't be required to run another decal

Now, carrying three decals, one of them large-ish, for the POSSIBILITY of $1,000 at the end of the year ... is a decision each team will have to make for themselves ... but seeing as our first sponsor is paying a garunteed $500 for probably less than 25% of the space ... How can I possibly participate in this contingency and be fair to my other sponsors???

1 - 20 of 23 Posts