1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
233 Posts
Just so you know, there is still a problem with liability on timed events. This insurance is an improvement, though. At least in Ontario this policy would not drop you if you tell them you TSD with a modded car etc. They just won't cover 3rd party liability during a timed event. William has an insurance option for the liability, but it's step #2. They need to show the underwriter interest from 5000 people for step #1.
Craig

·
Registered
233 Posts
After some offline chats, they don't want you to TSD etc, but you could drive a legal/safe modded car and you'd be OK, as long as you don't do timed events. Like I said, we're not totally out of the woods yet.

Global News may cover this insurance thing tonight (Wed.).

·
Registered
31 Posts
Ahh...this brings up an interesting question (pardon my ignorance please - again!)

The rules specify proof of 3rd party liability insurance. In Saskatchewan our registration and insurance (collision and liability) are both covered by the provicially run insurace group, SGI. Is this proof of liability coverage not enough? The amount of coverage is specified on the registration. Or am I required to try and find an insurer who will issue an additional package policy on the vehicle (which I don't even do with my personal wehicles)?

I have to suspect that Scott Martin will know the answer to this since Manitoba is the same way (or at least was when I lived there).

Take care all.

Chad.

·
Dramamine is for DramaQueens
4,813 Posts
YOur normal Saskatchewan vehicle insurance is fine. You will only be covered by that insurance on transits during the event, on the stages your liability is covered by event insurance.

you should note that if you have the option to deny collison coverage, you might as well do so. A caged car will get a TON of investigation in any claim.

·
Registered
233 Posts
If I read the question right...there is a difference between thinking you have actual coverage because you have a slip of paper that says you do, and actually having it. If the underwriter isn't aware of the change in risk to them (e.g. you rallying in your car) they may not cover you when you need it. If you tell them what you do, and they accept it, then you are OK. Actually, for liability, they will cover you, so that the victim (or their family) get some money. BUT the ins. co. may sue you for recovery of the payout. So, in that case your insurance officially worked, but not really, because you end up on the hook in the end.

The problem with modded cars was/is that most people don't tell their ins. co. that they added $20k worth of extra "stuff" to their car ('change in material risk'). That opens the ins. co. to more risk (bigger payout) and not telling them is a big no no, and can void your insurance. The other thing with modded cars is that obviously anybody with mods is a street racer bent on death and destruction, as advertised so effectively by Hollywood. So, safe and legal mods got caught up in the Hollywood street racing movie culture. Nice eh?

·
Registered
233 Posts
"Your normal Saskatchewan vehicle insurance is fine. You will only be covered by that insurance on transits during the event, on the stages your liability is covered by event insurance. "

There is a problem, in that insurance does not get "turned on" and "turned off" depending on where you are. That's not how they cover you, at least not in Ontario. Moreover, transits are timed, as are TSDs. Nobody seems to want to cover ANYTHING timed. Even William has learned this directly. Getting liability coverage for timed events is his Step #2.

The problem is that we've grown up beleiving in these insurance MYTHS (covered on transit, not on stage), and/or that these days the ins. co's are calling ALL the shots, and looking for ANY escape open to them to avoid a payout.

The only difference is if you tell your ins. co. that you rally, and they say "OK". Then you're clear.

·
Registered
233 Posts
>I guess one option would be to not time transits on a
>performance event.
>This doesn't help the TSD guys but atleast the performance
>guys are covered.
>
>-Darryl

Stage Start anarchy!

I'm thinking about introducing properly done Scatter Rallies* (no timing, no fixed route) into MCO's road rally repetoire for a change, and to also avoid some of these issues until they are sorted.

* http://www.ukmotorsport.com/fmsc/scatt_intro.html is a good description

·
Dramamine is for DramaQueens
4,813 Posts
>There is a problem, in that insurance does not get "turned on"
>and "turned off" depending on where you are. That's not how
>they cover you, at least not in Ontario. Moreover, transits
>are timed, as are TSDs. Nobody seems to want to cover
>ANYTHING timed. Even William has learned this directly.
>Getting liability coverage for timed events is his Step #2.

You are covered when you put in a claim ... and no one would put in a claim for an incident on the stage. As for transits and TSDs ... the timing for both is set below the speed limit, crews are requird to follow the rules of the road and crews in both incurr penalties for early arrival or passage ... I'd suggest that a refusal to cover TSD or transits could be challenged in a court of law.

Then again, I am neither an insurance broker nor a lawyer. I do know, however, that when I explained teh above to my insurance agent, I got insurance. In the case of Saskatchewan, with a Government insurance monopoly, there's little choice but to insure the car.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Keith, you could well be right in the case of Gov't run insurance. At least in your case it seems it is so. I guess ultimately it will come down to making a liability claim and seeing how it all washes.

You are correct. These arguments about legal speeds etc on transits and TSD's are very logical. The ins. co. don't give a darn about logic in insuring individuals in motorsports. That's all that matters right now. They're in control and they're not worried about such things as "logic"! Until somebody like William gets enough interest shown, we're a small financial pimple on the enourmous dollar figures they currently throw around. They don't need logic, they want to make money! (different from gov't insurance).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts