Special Stage Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
NASA Rally Sport grassroots!!!
2,835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sounds like there's a few questions on this issue, so I'll clear it up while I have just a second. :)

The NASA rules said:
3.8.14 Vehicles Prepared to Technical Regulations of Other Sanctioning Bodies

3.8.14.2 Rally America
Any vehicle with a Rally America log book that is currently legal to
run under Rally America rules may request to be inspected
according to that rule set. If passed, it is legal to compete at a NASA
Rally Sport event. NRS rules apply for all safety gear worn by the
racer.
So if you have an RA logbooked, RA legal car, it can run at Magnum Opus by passing the RA rules.

Yes, NRS rules require FIA seats for vehicles that get NRS log books. But that has zero impact on existing RA cars that want to come race.

See you guys up there, regardless of what seat type you're running! :cool:

Cheers!
Anders

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
(Although this doesn't effect me), this is where the fact of having 2 different sanctioning bodies/rule sets is a real pain. My car was built to be RA and NRS legal. Because of where I live, the only scrutineer sensibly close by was a NASA/NRS guy. So I have a NASA log book for that reason only. Same exact car could have a RA logbook, but it doesn't. So If I didn't have FIA seats, I'd be screwed for NASA events but okay if the exact same car had a RA log book. Stuff like this is what hurts when new people try to get into the sport.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
(Although this doesn't effect me), this is where the fact of having 2 different sanctioning bodies/rule sets is a real pain. My car was built to be RA and NRS legal. Because of where I live, the only scrutineer sensibly close by was a NASA/NRS guy. So I have a NASA log book for that reason only. Same exact car could have a RA logbook, but it doesn't. So If I didn't have FIA seats, I'd be screwed for NASA events but okay if the exact same car had a RA log book. Stuff like this is what hurts when new people try to get into the sport.
This is exactly why logbooks shouldn't matter (and don't matter in RA). The car is either legal to a rule-set, or not. There are many cars running regularly in RA events, conforming to RA rules but using CARS, NASA, SCCA books, or even books from overseas ASNs.

If the logbook matters with regard to legality, how does a car with non FIA seats get a NASA logbook?

·
2,835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The car is either legal to a rule-set, or not.
Agree. The NRS rule set includes "if it's RA legal, you can run". That's what makes those cars legal. :)

If the logbook matters with regard to legality, how does a car with non FIA seats get a NASA logbook?
The question is somewhat impossible to answer as asked, because if it already had a log book, how could it get another logbook? :confused:

But I think you really just meant:

how does a car with non FIA seats get a NASA logbook?
Well, it doesn't. But NRS doesn't have a rule saying all rally cars must have a NRS log book, so that doesn't really matter.

Anders

ps: Everybody who thinks it's a good idea to recommend to people "Hey, make sure you stay away from those FIA seats.", raise your hand. C'mon.... raise 'em up now! ;)

·
Four tree two remember Andrew
1,633 Posts
ps: Everybody who thinks it's a good idea to recommend to people "Hey, make sure you stay away from those FIA seats.", raise your hand. C'mon.... raise 'em up now! ;)
Mike:

I've never understood why RA won't specify FIA seats, especially given your forward efforts on vehicle safety.

Wilson

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
I can say that Mike specifically recommended me AWAY from the style of seats used in desert racing (Mastercraft 3G, other "suspension" style seats) even though they would be legal in RA. So I definately think their (Mike in this case) head is in the right place in looking to protect the racers. Maybe this is one instance of where RA feels the cost/benefit proposition isn't there?? That the cost to racers of requiring an FIA seat was not outweighed by the safety aspect? Just theorizing...I have no real knowledge here. (shocker huh?)

·
Registered
765 Posts
I have logbooked 2 cars, and neither inspection required the seats to be installed in the car at the time of logbooking. If you want an NASA logbook does the car need to be inspected with the seats installed?

·
2,835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If you want an NASA logbook does the car need to be inspected with the seats installed?
It's not required but I think the seat mounts should be there. But just like RA, a log book is just a history (not a magic pass), and is generally issued upon inspecting a proper cage. There are many items, like seats, or belts, or whatever, that are required to pass tech (in either sanctioning body) that are often not present when a log book is issued.

Anders

·
Mä meen vittu sinne!
6,058 Posts
FIA seats don't mean much if you don't have 17 feet of high density FIA foam covering every bar in the roll cage that can conceivably reach the occupants in a crash, especially when said crash occurs in a car that is grandfathered and has a cage that if built today would not be allowed to enter the event. :)

There's actually some FIA seats out there now that will fit some of the more rotund drivers.

·
Mä meen vittu sinne!
6,058 Posts
I would say a little of both...
Requiring FIA foam everywhere while simply requiring fixed back seats and no regs is kinda silly. Wonder what would happen if you showed up with a stock seat welded to be fixed.
Though a regulation usually requires a date stamp and would cost many of us with 10-15 year old seats more money. :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.