Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
L1 !!! HPR into HPL
Joined
·
950 Posts
Looks like one of the Jim Doidge spelling of Jim's name needs help, Subarus sponsored by Dow from Midland MI. on one of the early 70s PORs.


David Weiman
[email protected]
 

·
1973 WRC POR
Joined
·
2,421 Posts
>Looks like one of the Jim Doidge spelling of Jim's name
>needs help, Subarus sponsored by Dow from Midland MI. on one
>of the early 70s PORs.

Dave:

The event is the POR. Total name over the door number and POR decal on the rear of the car.

I seem to recall from some old posts that Mad Mike had entry lists from the 1972/1973 events. Maybe he can help out.

Doug Woods
 

·
just another old phart
Joined
·
2,258 Posts
I've still got the programs somewhere. I'll check when I get a chance.

Kent Gardam
 

·
Old Fart
Joined
·
560 Posts
The car was entered in the 1972 POR by Wayne Forbush and Ron Sprague from the Cleveland Ohio area. DART Performance entered three Subarus with 1267 CC engines in the 72 POR. Kent, you won't find the car in your program. The program only lists cars up to 186. Evidently this was a late entry. I found it listed in a newspaper clipping from the Detroit News. The car finished 13th overall of 21 finishers and won $250 dollars for first in the small engine class. $250 doesn't sound like much, but entry fee in 1973 was $150. I think it was much lower in 1972 because of Total Petroleum sponsorship. Total also supplied all rally teams with free gas for the duration of the event.



Paul Jaeger
PRIMO Stage Crews
For a Good Time, Call PRIMO!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
118 Posts
>The car was entered in the 1972 POR by Wayne Forbush and Ron
>Sprague from the Cleveland Ohio area.


Paul,

Did Bill Dodd run with DART?

I remember him having a Subaru.... Way underpowered.
 

·
3/14=my 42nd rally anniversary
Joined
·
3,979 Posts
>>Looks like one of the Jim Doidge spelling of Jim's name
>>needs help, Subarus sponsored by Dow from Midland MI. on one
>>of the early 70s PORs.
>
>Dave:
>
>The event is the POR. Total name over the door number and
>POR decal on the rear of the car.
>
>I seem to recall from some old posts that Mad Mike had entry
>lists from the 1972/1973 events. Maybe he can help out.
>
>Doug Woods

Jim & BarB Doidge still live here in Tulsa - I'll buzz him and see if he remembers which one this Subie is. BTW - Couldn't Dale McAllister (sp) be one of the drivers running a Subaru back then?

Halley ...
Owner/Driver ProRally #86 - world's first New Beetle Rally Car
RealAutoSport, LLC
http://www.realautosport.com
 

·
Old Fart
Joined
·
560 Posts
>>The car was entered in the 1972 POR by Wayne Forbush and Ron
>>Sprague from the Cleveland Ohio area.
>
>
>Paul,
>
>Did Bill Dodd run with DART?
>
>I remember him having a Subaru.... Way underpowered.

No, Bill Dodd didn'y run with DART. He also never ran a Subaru. Bill had a Lotus Cortina until 1971, then had a Ford Capri with the V-6 engine. I think you are confusing Bill with Wayne Forbush. He ran his own Subaru and occasionally drove the DART Performance Subaru.

Paul Jaeger
PRIMO Stage Crews
For a Good Time, Call PRIMO!
 

·
Old Fart
Joined
·
560 Posts
>>>Looks like one of the Jim Doidge spelling of Jim's name
>>>needs help, Subarus sponsored by Dow from Midland MI. on one
>>>of the early 70s PORs.
>>
>>Dave:
>>
>>The event is the POR. Total name over the door number and
>>POR decal on the rear of the car.
>>
>>I seem to recall from some old posts that Mad Mike had entry
>>lists from the 1972/1973 events. Maybe he can help out.
>>
>>Doug Woods
>
>Jim & BarB Doidge still live here in Tulsa - I'll buzz him
>and see if he remembers which one this Subie is. BTW -
>Couldn't Dale McAllister (sp) be one of the drivers running
>a Subaru back then?
>
>Halley ...
>Owner/Driver ProRally #86 - world's first New Beetle Rally
>Car
>RealAutoSport, LLC
>http://www.realautosport.com

I don't think Jim Doidge ever ran any of the DART Performance Subarus. Jim was from Midland as were the DART Performance bunch, so he may have been part of the gang. I know Jim ran a Samida Racing Dodge Colt in the 72 POR and on many other events.

The crews for Dart Performance Subarus at POR in 72 were Dale McCalister/Joe LeBeau in Car 173 and Ed Hill/Lew Fine in Car 181 in addition to Forbush/Sprague in Car 188. John Kelly/Larry Brown were also entered under the DART Performance banner running a Datsun 510 as car 175.

Paul Jaeger
PRIMO Stage Crews
For a Good Time, Call PRIMO!
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Top