Special Stage Forums banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
<catchy rally phrase>
1,261 Posts
True, I don't know that I've seen a setup with just an external mic jack.

I have one of these... http://hoyttech.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=291

(found on craigslist for cheaper than retail, score!) It has the CCD bullet cam PLUS external mics. the trick is, both need their own 12v power source...but they have the external RCA jacks for sound.

the only problem I found with that is....if you record just from the external mics....the sound is fine....if you plug just the intercom in, the sound is fine....but when I used an RCA 'Y' to splice in the external sound with intercom....the signal on the powered mics drowned out the intercom, so I'm dealing with how to fix that.

brand new its a little pricey, but the camera w/the protective case is VERY rugged...I had it out side the car at Gorman last year....hit something pretty hard and the suction mount popped off....the thing bounced around for the rest of the rally on the side of the car and was fine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=scL_HPUdL0U

FF to 3:30

(i called it wrong...oops)

that suction mount is usually really good, I think I just did a bad job of mounting it on the class (not cleaning properly).

Also, its a few years old...my camera is 480 lines of res, where the one in this kit looks like its 580.

·
<catchy rally phrase>
1,261 Posts

·
Itinerant Co-Driver
581 Posts
If you don't care about audio that much you could always get a GoPro.

Forum vendor Checkpoint Racing carries them and they seem to work quite well minus the audio issues (no external mic input and bad ambient mic). Grab 2-6 decent 2gb SD cards and you are good to go for a whole rally... Plus the suckers are tough...
Have you tried them?

Do you know if they'll mount to a roll cage? I saw the "Motorsports" GoPro, but it looks like it only comes with mounts to stick the thing onto a windshield or a helmet. I saw that you can get a "grab bag" of mounting brackets, but I haven't been able to tell from the photos whether any are what I'd be after.

Anyone know if the mountain bike seat post mounting bracket will accommodate a cage tube?

·
eating dust taking photos
3,740 Posts
Have you tried them?

Do you know if they'll mount to a roll cage? I saw the "Motorsports" GoPro, but it looks like it only comes with mounts to stick the thing onto a windshield or a helmet. I saw that you can get a "grab bag" of mounting brackets, but I haven't been able to tell from the photos whether any are what I'd be after.

Anyone know if the mountain bike seat post mounting bracket will accommodate a cage tube?

I have not, however, most of the active guys in Colorado have.

I bet if you posted in the CO forum or called up Mitch you'd get tons of feedback about the cameras...

·
Can't we go any faster?
486 Posts
Have you tried them?

No roll cage mount at the moment, but I think they were trying to focus on the wide angle lense version first. We've been in contact with them about getting a roll cage mount. It's in the works and we'll hopefully see it early this year.

The pads they give you stick well though, we haven't had one come off all of last season, including the suction cup mount. If you're creative you can fab up your own roll bar mount.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts