Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any experience regarding digital DV format versus Digital Hi8 tape videocams? I specificaly refering to how the two types of mechanisms handle vivrations during recording (not optical vivrations) The image stabilization should usualy take care of that.

Is one more robust than the other?

thank you

·
Slid'n around 'n havin a ball
2,953 Posts
No comparisons from me but with digital8, the tape will come off the heads and turn the output white during big impacts.
(and filming big impacts is much more interesting than the boring driving down the road part).
That's why I (and most everyone) use it as a deck while packed in foam and pipe in a signal from a stand-alone, remote lens.
I also know you can fill a kiddy sandbox from what collects in one during a couple rallys. Bolting one to the cage will not be the best thing to do to your digi8 camera and I doubt you'd want to do it to the other type either.
rz
in-car at: www.randyzimmer.com

·
Registered
527 Posts
Randy is absolutely right. A two-piece camera-recorder setup is the only way. Most camcorders, if bolted rigidly to the rollcage, will sound like piggy banks when you rattle them after a couple of events. The vibration just destroys the moving parts in the recorder. Your P3 car won't be quite a brutal, but still the life expectancy of a 2-peice system will be ten times longer than a camcorder. When Tom McGeer had that huge crash at Rocky on Sunday, both Hi8 record decks were destroyed by the impact. The forward facing POV camera rolled until the battery was ripped off the back, but the face cam deck took a direct hit and we're trying to floss the tape out to see how much we got! That was an expensive crash for all concerned, but at least we had nearly two full seasons on those decks (unlike poor Tom's Subaru).

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you both for the advice, it does make a lot of sense.

This weekend I was using my pencil cam with Steve's Sony camcorder but I am looking to buy my own camcorder so your comments are a lot of help.

We placed the pencil cam above the windshield and on the hood's air vent, got some amazing footage (especialy for a P3 car) the roof and hood cam view looks twice as fast as the in car view.

Cheers
Jorge

·
Premium Member
1,570 Posts
I recommend buying a miniDV cam and taking the optional repair/replacement insurance. Then use a separate bullet/lipstick remote head lens, and put the camcorder in a Pelican case padded with rollcage foam.

HTH.

=============================================================================

Web site : www.SoCalRally.com
Sponsor : www.VwSpecialties.com

Rally - I don't need no stinkin' epi pen to get my adrenalin rush !!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts