Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was very interested in the comment that Nicky Grist made before the start of Rally GB about Burn's blackout (later in the show they said he was at the wheel of the 206). He said that it was common (he gave the sense that it was required) that any driver who loses consciousness has their licence suspended for 12-18 months and this could leave an opening for McRae at Subaru. Anybody know anything more on this rule? What is the history behind it? I have read that people suspect that Toivonen's accident was caused by him blacking out, is that the genesis of this rule?

·
Registered
665 Posts
I wonder if it may be something as simple as his regular driver's lic.? i.e., pass out or have a fit while driving, licence temp. suspended for medical reasons.

Robin

·
Registered
924 Posts
I read in Autosport that he was driving in his Porsche and Marko Martin was with him and had to bring the car to a halt, scarey.

·
400 flat to crest
5,777 Posts
Brian, re Toivonen's death in '86.
I was in Sweden in '89 and watching some rally vids and the boys had a Finnish tape about Henri's life and death and there were tons of interviews with all sorts of people.
Toivonen had the flu or sumthin bad leading up to an a big high fever, and Lancia team doctors filled him up with drugs and sent him down the road, obviously with the approval and recognition of team boss Fiorio.

In interviews with Toivonens dad, former MonteCarlo winner Pauli Toivonen, and I recall he was there, he places blame squarely on the Team for pressuring Henri to go.

Still it cannot be nailed down with any certianty, there was nothing left to autopsy, the fuel cells, two of them, were right under the driver/codriver seats.

Re Burns, he's clearly somewhat highly strung, he was marginally off top pace this year so he settled for points points points, he was leaving the team and lknew he probably ccouldn't pull off a win, and that even if he did win the Driver's Crown, it would be tainted by not having won a single event and hardly any stages in the year.

The truth, if he is really sick, temporarily sick, or just dodgin' will never be known.

He may be the acknowledged biggest crybaby n WRC, but having been disabled several times myself, I wish him well in whatever is ailing him, I think none of us can imagine the self-pressurisation these boy apply to themselves, and I've shared garages with guys at this level.

John Vanlandingham
Seattle, WA. 98168

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

Black Rocket Rally Tires
http://www.blackrockettires.com/

1 - 4 of 4 Posts