Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
3rd November 2003

Richard Burns - hospitalised yesterday evening after fainting

We can confirm that Richard Burns was taken ill last night and is currently in hospital. His condition is not serious however doctors do want to carry out further tests. On the advice of doctors, Richard will not be taking part in this weekend's Rally Great Britain.

The entire Peugeot Sport Team expresses its solidarity and wishes Richard a prompt recovery.

Due to this case of force majeure, Peugeot Sport has asked FIA, on the basis of article 5.1.4 of the General Prescriptions and Article 2.3 of the Regulations of the World Rally Championship, to authorize the crew Freddy Loix Sven Smeets to replace the crew Richard Burns Robert Reid.

Ends.

Claire Barton

Press and PR Manager

Peugeot Sport UK

DL: 00 44 (0)2476 88 4518

Fax: 00 44 (0)2476 88 4677

Email: [email protected]

Mobile: 0788 1788 283

Address: Peugeot Sport, Gate 5, Humber Road, Coventry, CV3 1BD

·
400 flat to crest
5,777 Posts
Tactics? Nerves? Heebie jeebies? Get it a tiff and follow thru for once with a threat 'If you don't stop making funna me I'm going hold my breath till I turn blue!!!'???, Terminal petulance?

Pressure muust be simply enormous on the boy, can't imagine the self pressur to push yourself THAT hard but I understand it would be a Title with a stain on it if he won the crown without having one round, so he must have been just chewing his fingernails back to the second knuckle at thinking he would have to turn the wick up this last round.

Lets hope he gets over it soon and it's not a complete mental breakdown, maybe he foolishly ate English food........

John Vanlandingham
Seattle, WA. 98168

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

Black Rocket Rally Tires
http://www.blackrockettires.com/

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't want to start any crazy speculation here but wasn't he ill during Corsica too? There are very few ailments diagnosed on a Monday that will prevent you from competing on the coming weekend unless they are systematic - if it was a virus or food poisoning they would be waiting until Thursday morning to make a call. Could be stress of course.

I'm not a big Burns fan but I do hope he's well - terrible shame to have one of the most important championship competitors out for a non-competitive reason. Get well, Richard.

ACP
Flirting with the laws of physics.

·
Registered
50 Posts
If he really is having fainting spells then I wouldn't want him driving a rally car. That said, they say it isn't serious which makes me wonder. We're speculating now -- hopefully they'll bring us more up to date with an actual cause tomorrow (not that his health is any of my business but it does look odd). Peugeot drivers have driven injured many times; heck, it seems like Gilles drives better when he's hurt. Burns hasn't been driving well lately so I wonder if he hasn't been somewhat sick for a while now.

Any news if Loix will be able to take over for him? Smacks a little of Villeneuve-Satu in F1, except with Burns (mathematically at least) in contention for the title.

Wonder what Subaru thinks? He was supposed to start testing next month.

Harry

·
Registered
678 Posts
Maybe he just doesn't eat enough? :7 A while ago they showed him on TV without a shirt doing physical training. The guy is skinny as a stick! Although he supposedly competes on triathlons, so that could explain it.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Too much house shopping with Zoe in Andorra. That's my bet.

Seriously though, I am no Burns fan, but I hope he's ok and can compete. What is Wales Rally GB without a Burns/McRae matchup? PLus, I just wish the guy were feeling better.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts