Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Need ride. Please send money.
1,278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
IS anyone out there a bored out of work independent film creator? It seems to me that with all the drama & subplots that are created on a single rally weekend that someone with a little creativity could make one heck of am hour long show on it. I would be more than willing to assist with vision, scope & planning. An independent would not be swayed by a manufacturer or sponsor, and could show the real interesting points of the entire field. With all the reality TV crapola out there(that get great ratings by the way), I am very confident that there is a market for this sort of thing. Someone like Pete (onalimb) that understands camera angles would be a great resource for suggestions too.
I didn't get to see the LSPR coverage this year. Did they give more than 2 minutes on the Whiteman/Burmeister Extravanganza? I doubt they did. Jeesh, just Lurch's weekend alone would've made a GREAT one hour show. How about the Utecht/Mitchell saga? Think of all the storylines we have on a per event basis & it definately competes with the mainstream. All it needs is someone to do it. Really, I have some interesting ideas on this if someone wants to try...

The reason I bring this up is that with exposure comes interest. Interest brings people. People bring money. Everyone nowadays sems to be wanting to be first in their respective cliques to be doing or watching something new or unique, & COOL. AND the public seems to be jumping on bandwagons for non household names quicker than ever(just look at all the Bachelor & Joe Millionaire stuff).

I can it now...

"Premiering tonite on FOX Sports; Rally Life- The Burmeister Chronicals. Rally life in America and one team's pitfalls & triumphs."
*Sponsored by Mazda(insert latest tag line here)*

In truth, the "sponsored by" would be an after the fact, as product placement people can see where I am going with this.

Does anyone understand my ramblings? Can anyone agree, or am I off my rocker?

Just seems like there is an opportunity here. At the bare minimum an independent half hour TV show that would blow the current crap out of the water, that could be sold to cable networks and then grown into a real coverage when more money comes.

Anyone?

**NOTE- I originally posted this as a reply on the "opportunity/Adversity thread, but I thought I may rcv more feedback reposting it as it's own topic**

JC
www.gnimotorsports.com

·
just another old phart
2,258 Posts
I've always enjoyed the presentation when coverage becomes more than just the showing of the event but gives you the background of what is behind the scenes. I think maybe Olympics coverage probably started that trend when profiles of the athletes would be included in the coverage telling the story of where they came from and how they got to the olympic level. I've always tried to watch the Ironman Triathlon because the telling of the stories of "Joe Average" athlete (well, in a triathlon sense anyway) are the most attractive part for me. If "humanizing" the story of rally is what you are driving at, then from my perspective that would be a very positive step. You're right, the Utecht/Mitchell or the Lurch/Whiteman battles with the background stories would make for great shows all by themselves.

Telling the story of the little guy who overcomes adversity would sure seem to be a guaranteed winner. America loves its stars but is really all about rooting for the underdog. For everyone that loves the Yankees, they are way more of us who want to see Steinbrenner get his hat handed to him.

Kent Gardam

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
The big reason somebody doesn't do this sort of thing is that you'd need a bored, out of work independentLY WEALTHY film creator. The upfront expenses on this sort of thing are huge. Thus you have to have air time and sponsors lined up and dollars in hand before you begin to shoot...having sold them something that doesn't exist yet.

If you could once get such a thing shot, I also believe it could be a big seller. I don't see how any independent film project ever sees the light of day...but some do, so there must be a way.

Bruce

·
Registered
397 Posts
In-Car Video from some of the more amusingly driven cars would sure go a long way toward getting the 'Fast and Furious' croud interested. Those are the ones whose parents will buy them whatever manner of widget they demand (made by our sponser obvoiusly)just to shut 17 year old junior or junioress up.
Sadly I can almost promise a bent car with in-car taken from my ride of late. Doh!!

John Lane
Viva Le Pro Le Ralliat

·
1,278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think a pilot 1/2 hour thing for SnoDrift 04 could be done very inexpensively on digital media, contributed to by several volunteer filmers on stages, a couple in car cameras(converted to digital media afterward) and someone who is creative enough to know who to talk to & when, and possibly the acceptance of this test by all those drivers/codrivers/crews to allow this person access to them at inopportune times.

I seem to remember the Tom Green show coming out of nowhere cableville to prime time even though it was rather cable-access-cheap-filming-style to start with.

Too bad Joe Sladavich is already going to race at SnoDrift. He'd of been a good one to help with something like this.

I also think of occasional fan footage at tailgating event & such, that the media sometimes interviews. Like when it's -10C at Lambeau, but people are having lunch & they have been there since 4am & whatnot. The snipits of stuff like this, of TRUE rally fans as they await the cars & stuff... That could be REALLY cool filler.

I have too many ideas I guess & not enough money to try them...

JC
www.gnimotorsports.com

·
1,278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, I wish our camera hadn't been shaken to death before our roll this year on Burma. It stopped 3.5 minutes before impact.

DOH!

JC
www.gnimotorsports.com

·
Registered
151 Posts
Brilliant.

If I had the know-how, I'd be doing it.

If nothing else, for an aspiring filmmaker, this would be an ideal project to display one's talent.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I think it's great idea! If someone can sell (and I watch) people arguing while building choppers and other weird machines to the Discovery Channel and TLC, then someone could sell this.

Steve McKelvie

·
Registered
107 Posts
I met an independent film maker at One Lap this year that was filming a documentary of the Red Barron's grandson doing the One Lap.

I almost got him to fly out for WildWest but he had a paying gig that week. He's totally into the rally thing.

I'll point him to this thread and see if he's down...

·
Faster Mabricator
3,611 Posts
Rally Movie

When is the rally version of 'Driven' or 'Days of Thunder' coming out?Might not be popular in the US as elsewhere. Too bad Hollywood is in the US or we would have already seen it. Not as cool as actual rallying but better than nothing.

·
1,278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have located a pair of young, talented independent filmakers from here in SE Michigan who *may* be interested. They would be doing it pro-bono up front, but would take production credit & maybe score some back end deals. They are not officially on board yet, as they are in process of a movie currently and may not be completed by then. I should have confirmation soon though. Please keep in mind that this will be a pilot/or test and will not be high dollar, but will give us a good place to start. I have no doubt they could make it cool. Maybe it'll take off. Maybe it wont.

This will take some networking though of others who are planning on attending/spectating/videotaping SnoDrift 04 to gather all the action footage, along with in car footage from whomever is interested. Full credit will be given to each person who contributes of course. The more people we get involved, the more material we will have to work with, and the better chance we have of getting the more dramatic stuff.

Unfortunately for me, it looks like I will be able to afford to finish rebuilding Rocky in time to compete, but wont have enough money to actually enter now, so I wont be able to be "a star" like you all. (It figures) :( Maybe this is my sacrifice...

Please e-mail me or respond here if interested in helping/contributing, or if you have family/friends that could help.

Are there others out there that are interested?

JC
www.gnimotorsports.com

·
Registered
483 Posts
I and several other her in California and Arizona and vouch for the fact that this can be done with a relitively low budget. We made a 30 minute program with all voluenteer efforts. I think it turned out pretty well for what it was. I would have liked to build more of a plot and created a bit more drama, but for a first attempt I was pretty happy with what we put together.

If anyone is interested, I still have VHS copies of the program (Gorman Ridge 2002). they are $20 + $5 shipping. I will have them availabel at The Ramada Experess rally next month if you want to save the shipping cost.

·
Slid'n around 'n havin a ball
2,953 Posts
RE: get a feel for it

John, I don't know where you are but there are 2 events out east this weekend (Pines in Ontario and Blast in SC).
Jump in a car and bring a camera, get a few tapes of footage and see what comes of it. You'll have something to play with for a couple months before *drift and something to show your "slaves".
It could make a difference in how your planning progresses.
I'm working on a Picture in a Picture in-car this weekend; bumpercam and over-the-shoulder.
I'll see if my idea can work but I need some time to perfect it. It works in the garage but there's nothing like competition to show the problems. I think you could do the same by taking film of roads and off-ramps, make a school bus look cool on a turn and you have your answer.
rz

G

·
someone needs to find Reed:

http://crfilms.com/

check out his trailers for bike trials.

I haven't talked to him in a while, so I have no idea what he's up to these days, but I think he has a lot of talent, obviously has some driving interest already.

·
1,278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
RE: get a feel for it

RZ-
Unfortunately I have 2 different people coming to my place this weekend to buy parts from our donor Jetta to make money for rebuilding Rocky(our G2 GTI). I also have my mom(luv ya mom!) flying in from FLA to see the kids this weekend. So I cant.

However, I too was to try out a small 3mm lens CCTV color bullett camera in Rocky for SnoDrift. I agree, bumper cams with the right fixed focus lens can create DRAMATIC effects. Please let me know how it goes & maybe you can assist with it at SD? Are you going to SD?

FUrther, I am considering doing the bumper cam thing even if I cant afford to compete at SD04 by driving my Subaru as the 00(right Mike B?). Then I could still contribute to the event AND the film thing.

I just think we could show the people side of the sport, and the drama that is strung throughout competing in a rally weekend. I think this could be done right and therefore bring awareness to the sport & that'll bring $$$. (Then, hopefully someone will dump money on me so I can rally more & with better equipment...) :p

Seriously, if all we do is show the regular TV guys that there is a better way to do things for better ratings it'll help us all. I know they wouldn't have to spend any more cash to make coverage better...

JC
www.gnimotorsports.com

·
Registered
86 Posts
The admin of our local forums recently received this email. Somone checked it out, and the guy seems legit. I suppose you could try contacting him & see if he would be interested in the idea.

Here's the entire email:

"Hello, I represent a small film-production company out of Chicago. We are in the early stages of our latest film-project; A documentary about young car-enthusiasts in the Midwest and their cars. We are currently gathering information and conducting phone-interviews. We are looking for a diverse group of individuals from several cities. We are not necessarily looking for individuals with the fastest, flashiest or most expensive cars. Those featured in the film will receive film-credit as well as a copy of the finished project.

If you have an interest in participating, please give us some information about you and your car. No need to get too specific or personal - just general information:

- Name of your hometown.
- Type of car.
- How long have you had your car?
- Your age.
- Your workplace and/or year in school.
- Some recent modifications you've done to your car.
- Any plans for future car modifications?
- Do you belong to a car-club?
- If so, how many members, recent club news?
- A photo or a link to photos of your car.
- Any other relevant information about you and your car

Feel free to forward this to any other car-enthusiasts you know who may be interesting in participating in this project.

Thanks for your time. We hope to hear back from you.

Joel

Joel Sacramento Productions
610 N Elizabeth
Unit 3N
Chicago, IL 60622
(312)952-5045"

Pete Gossett

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
I passed this along to one friend that goes to film school in New Mexico. He should be emailing you JC, he seems very interested.

I will pass it along to another good friend that goes to USC.

Both have expressed interest in filming me as I start rallying, but I'm sure they'll be receptive to lots of ideas.

Jay

·
Faster Mabricator
3,611 Posts
Zimmer's bumper cam memories

Testing it at Rocky Mountain by doing donuts at the shakedown media event. Viewing it and seeing pebbles appear as boulders. Looked like a lunar landing film.

·
1,278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
RE: bumper cam

RZ-
That is GREAT! AS I am watching them, it makes me want to rally. NOW. FOREVER. This is the stuff, along with the human story aspect that can really promote rally and bring corps with dough for support/exposure.(IMHO)

That makes our in-car stuff look pathetic! Good job.

Brings me back to point- are you attending SnoDrift?

JC
www.gnimotorsports.com

1 - 20 of 43 Posts