Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am looking for some input for a Rally Cross series at The FIRM in Florida. Your feedback and ideas are welcome and will help shape the final product. I am only looking for a series here at our facility and no where else, perhaps Monthly races over the course of a weekend.

I am thinking of 2 series', one would be a street car Rally Cross event with about a 50/50 tarmac and dirt course similar to the one we ran on December 7th. The lap times averaged about 3:40 and the mix was about 50/50 tarmac and dirt. Bring your car and helmet and run all day. Laps will be timed on an as requested basis and you get 2 timed laps to post a speed. This way you can run all morning to get setup right then after lunch pick 2 laps to run for time. Simple classes, 2wd stock and modified and awd stock and modified.

The second series could be a caged Rally Cross event with side by side racing and heat races very similar to GRC. The course would also be about 50/50 tarmac and dirt with some jumps and lots of pavement to dirt transitions. Cars would need a FIA or similar cage and safety equipment and the understanding you will be racing side by side. Not bumper cars but racing is racing, typical heat racing with a LCQ and a 10 lap Final.

Consider that as a basic concept if you are interested and offer any comments and feedback you feel are relevant. Thanks.

·
Registered
42 Posts
If you're on a real tight budget, a Volvo 240 is the way to go. They're pretty tough cars, and the best part is, parts are dirt cheap for them. Ball joints, wheel bearings, shocks etc... They're all easy to work on and incredibly cheap to replace. Take a look on rockauto for parts for the 240s though. Half of the parts shipping costs as much as the parts because they're so cheap for some reason haha.

Really depends if you want RWD though. It's probably the cheapest way to have a lot of fun in my opinion.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am not looking to run myself, I am looking for ideas and feedback on what might interest people for a series at my Rally School. I do appreciate the advice cpeehler, good info for anyone looking to run.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I love the idea, having a static Euro Rallycross venue that supports grassroots efforts is needed stateside. Having a traditional SCCA style venue is a plus as well, I'd organize one for a Saturday and one for a Sunday and hope that some of the SCCA style participants stick around to volunteer for the euro style event (if they don't have a caged/prepped car).

Marketing wise I'd reach out to GRM regarding the Euro rallycross to provide event coverage as it's something new and a great format for no longer competitive IT class SCCA and NASA cars to be put to use with minimal reprep needed.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I love the idea, having a static Euro Rallycross venue that supports grassroots efforts is needed stateside. Having a traditional SCCA style venue is a plus as well, I'd organize one for a Saturday and one for a Sunday and hope that some of the SCCA style participants stick around to volunteer for the euro style event (if they don't have a caged/prepped car).

Marketing wise I'd reach out to GRM regarding the Euro rallycross to provide event coverage as it's something new and a great format for no longer competitive IT class SCCA and NASA cars to be put to use with minimal reprep needed.
That's pretty much what I have in mind, a Euro style Rally Cross series with the ability to run the course, or at least very similar course, with regular Rally Cross cars. I would eliminate the jump and the trips into the woods for non caged cars and of course they would not run side by side. Other than that a wide open Euro style Rally event on site.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Consider having a class that matches the prep rules for your local circle tracks beater class, and keep their course out of the trees. Should help bring in a little cross over.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi,
I'm from NC and have not yet ventured into the caged Rally cars but I think that both series would be a great draw. For traditional American RX, we long for longer/varied surface courses. I for one, would like it. I also think that side by side racing and heat races similar to GRC would be a fantastic series. It would be a little far for me to drive on a weekly basis but a series that I'd like to compete in on occation. Best of luck and hope to visit The FIRM soon.

P.S. We have a pretty good rally cross program in NC sponsored by the Tarheel Sports Car Club. Check us out.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts