Special Stage Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Multi talented road racer, Trans Am champion and Winston Cup pole sitter from last weekend's race at Sears Point, Boris Said, was on Wind Tunnel on Speed tonight. Boris made it real clear that he is aggressively pursuing a full time ride in NASCAR. But when a caller asked him what type of car he would most like to drive in a "Trading Paint" type of switch off, he said a rally car. He said that he thinks rally drivers are the most talented drivers in the world.

Any takers? Come on Mitsubishi or Subaru, put Boris in a factory car for one event! It would make for great PR for the team and for the sport and it would be interesting to see how he would do.

·
600 /CR !!! R2>
450 Posts
Those road racers all have Rally envy, remember when Jeff Gordon rode with Marcus Gronholm? I think it took a week for the grin to fade.

Too bad the Hyundai media car isn't around anymore. But then, I guess Boris could handle more a faster ccar. I've heard that VT Sports Car's rental Subaru is sitting around gathering dust, maybe Lance should get in touch with him?

--
JP Rowland jeremyrowland -at- mac.com
Co-driver, #896 Audi 4000 Quattro turbo, Open
Visit my boring web page: http://homepage.mac.com/jeremyrowland

·
Registered
7 Posts
I've had this conversation with Boris. He DOES, have rally/WRC envy, just like all of us here. He wants to drive rally again badly, but he makes his living on the road, and it's hard to just give that up right now. I say drive rally "again", because in the 90's when he was racing a factory BMW in Europe (including 24 hrs of Nurburgring), he trained some in France with WRC rally cars and rally drivers. He says's it's the most fun he has ever had in a car, period. I can assure you that at some point he WILL drive a rally car competitively. When that happens, it'll be great to see. That guy is simply a magician behind the wheel of ANYTHING. He is very naturally talented, and frighteningly fearless. And he does have that rally training in his background, which he says just eats at him.

Oh I almost forgot, he owns a rally car, but I forget which one. An EVO V or VI, I think.

Anyway, if a guy like Boris were to come over to rally for a bit, it'd give the sport a lot of exposure at the very least.

·
Registered
7 Posts
That's really interesting as well. It'd be good to see. You know, I must apologize in advance to any purists or "keep it small" people here, but I can't help but think that if some big-name US drivers came over to rally even part time, it would open the door to the promoting of new rally events having more mainstream appeal, like say some "stadium rally sprint" exhibitions or something along those lines. Names like that could generate the sponsorship and TV interest level to make it work. It'd be kind of a side-show to the sport as we know it (and love it), but it'd be a real needed shot in the arm. As it stands now, rally in the US teeters more on implosion than viable growth, which is no good for anyone. So, I'd love to see guys like Said or Gordon help get it going. Maybe it will happen.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.