Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
BLACK BEAR RALLY RESCHEDULED
June 15, 2005

Due to circumstances beyond the control of the Maple Leaf Rally Club and the Black Bear Rally organizing committee, the Black Bear Rally will not be able to be held this Saturday (June 18th).

Torrential rains and high winds have ravaged the Dorset area for four days, creating a state of emergency. A call from Ministry of Natural Resources officials today advised that the roads have suffered great damage, especially in the last 24 hours. A site inspection this afternoon confirmed that not one of the stage roads is passable even for a four wheel drive truck. Culverts have been totally washed out, hills are left with two foot deep ruts and many trees have fallen across the roads. Even ATV?s were having difficulty rescuing stranded cottage residents. In places the water is almost two feet deep ? and it still had not yet stopped raining.

The Organizers regret any inconvenience this causes to all those involved. The event has been tentatively rescheduled to Saturday, July 23rd, pending all necessary approvals. Confirmation of that date will be issued as soon as possible.

We sincerely hope that you will be able to join us in July for a great event.

Watch for further news at www.mlrc.ca or e mail [email protected]

·
50 L3/CR 70 Yump 200
997 Posts
Glad you could connect with us tonight - Thank You!
I hope the Michigan gang can make the rescheduled date,
We were all looking forward to (anouther) great event.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Wow!

My sympathy to the organizers, I'm sure this is as much or more a disapointment to them as it is to the competitors... Lets hope all goes well for the 23!, and the field stays the same size.

Too bad I stayed up till 2:00 AM tonight working on the car! oh well.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I really feel bad for you guys who have put the effort in to coming to the event, but when Ross told me the ATVs that were going in to rescue cottagers stuck up there had to turn around, well, you can imagine. 2' deep ruts in every hill, Ross had water over the hood of his truck in one puddle (and if you know Ross' truck, that's saying something!), and even the Black River Road that leads to the spectator area is impassable. Even if we'd wanted to try and fix them before the event, all the graders for miles are busy trying to fix township roads that have been hit just as hard.

I will be going up on saturday with my mountain bike to do an assessment, and I'll be taking my video camera along.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Ryan, I feel worse for you guys, we all work hard to get to the rally, but none more than you and your arganizing committee. I hope the damage can be fixed and we can have the rally in July, Otherwise we may have to go to Maine Forest!

·
Flat over crest
303 Posts
Wow. That is terrible news. Especially in view of the work that had gone into grooming the roads and all the other preparation. Hopefully, order can be restored to the local populace with minimal loss.

Best of luck with the work that now must be done to bring the event back. There is one ray of sunshine from all this for me - we do not have a schedule conflict on the new date. We hope to be there and support the rally in full force.

Scott
www.teamharco.com
Team Harco Motorsports
"Win on Sunday, Sleep on Monday"

·
Registered
665 Posts
I kind of wondered if this might happen (while sitting in a windowless room in our basement under a tornado warning :) )

Please let us know about road work days, if we can make it, we'll bring the Stihl... }( (and a competent experienced operator/co-driver)

Robin

·
Registered
315 Posts
Thanks for the enormous effort that you have put in to this event. Our team is looking forward to the new date.

Like Robin said, don't hesitate to ask for help to get the roads ready. We're willing to pitch in.

·
Registered
532 Posts
>
>Torrential rains and high winds have ravaged the Dorset area
>for four days, creating a state of emergency. A call from
>Ministry of Natural Resources officials today advised that the
>roads have suffered great damage, especially in the last 24
>hours. A site inspection this afternoon confirmed that not
>one of the stage roads is passable even for a four wheel drive
>truck. Culverts have been totally washed out, hills are left
>with two foot deep ruts and many trees have fallen across the
>roads. Even ATV?s were having difficulty rescuing stranded
>cottage residents. In places the water is almost two feet deep
>? and it still had not yet stopped raining.
>
>The Organizers regret any inconvenience this causes to all
>those involved. The event has been tentatively rescheduled to
>Saturday, July 23rd, pending all necessary approvals.
>Confirmation of that date will be issued as soon as possible.
>
>We sincerely hope that you will be able to join us in July for
>a great event.
>
>Watch for further news at www.mlrc.ca or e mail
>[email protected]
>

Well, I guess my weather input on the other thread was off by a bit!!!

Too bad Ryan, I was really looking forward to going this weekend and you guys had fantastic support from the competitors.

EDIT: Darn, I just realized I have a wedding I have to attend that day. x(

Dave C

·
Registered
233 Posts
Just redo the routebook put the word "ford" in front of all existing instructions. Finally, a rally with fords in Canada.:+

Anyway, it's a shame, but we'll be back, teams and workers. I'm stunned by the entry level, amazing.

Craig
BBR Car 00

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Um, I don't think you can put quite enough exclamation points on a caution like this one:

We will keep everyone up to date on how things are going, and thanks to everyone for the support.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Judging from the downpours we've had the past few days, I'm NOT too surprised. We had a highway interchange flood with 3 feet of water on tuesday morning. A little worried about the roads to the family country place in the Ottawa river valley...

Wishing you guys the best of luck in getting the roads back to 'normal'. Something tells me I'll be doing some roadwork this weekend.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts