Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it usually better and/or cheaper to have Bilstein HD purchased & revalved from the same place, or just buy them & send them off to get revalved.

I can get them through work at a pretty good price(around $40 each rear/$80 each front)for my car, but I was just wanting opinions from anyone who's had this done before.

TIA

Pete Gossett
Central IL Region SCCA
Solo-2 Chair
93 VW Corrado/42GS

·
400 flat to crest
5,777 Posts
Pete, it's pretty clear that the Bilstein 'HD' street derived stuff is like a lot of consumer product, they're always Heavy Duty, never 'just adequate use'.

Enough guys have reported , and I've seen enough bent _street derived_ Bilstein stuff to go to the point of gearing up to make the lower strut bodies in CrMo for the 41mm Ford motorsport insert for a bunch of different cars, the idea is actually from a guy already doing this for years on the Swedish market, who unfortuneatly has some severe problems with delivery.

You might want to give me a call at 206 431 9696.

BTY I send things to Weaver racing out the in the Midwest for revalve/ rebuild.

Note also there are advanced plans to make 50mm Bilstein stuff as soon as we get going on the 41mm stuff, which for 98% of us ought to do just fine, especially considering the prices of stuff.

John Vanlandingham

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So, the Bilstein HD's revalved to "rally spec" aren't really that great?

Right now, I'm just looking for something durable enough for rally-x, anyway. Price is certainly a main concern, but not if it will cost me more in the long run.

At some point, I'll probably find a built car. As much as I like the thought of building my own, I'll take heed of all the collective advice & buy my first car. So I'm really just looking for some improvement in performance & durability in my street car, for now.

Pete Gossett
Central IL Region SCCA
Solo-2 Chair
93 VW Corrado/42GS

·
Registered
204 Posts
I'm not certain if "Heavy Duty" means the same as "Sport", but if so, yes, they are good enough for rally-x and club rally despite what some people will tell you. No, they aren't DMS quality, but they are durable. I've got one of the heaviest cars out there, and it has over 30 events on it (many of them 2-day Pro events) with one strut failure. That one failure was a defective strut which failed in its first stage of use. Yes, I have bent a couple, but that was after 10 events without service -- not a wise move.

My struts are Bilstien Sports revalved to rally specs (320/120). Now that I've bent a set, I would suggest sending them back to Bilstein at least once a year (more if you are rallying out west) as preventative maintainance. Revalving is something like $55 per strut. However, if you are planning to run a full competitive schedule, they probably aren't the best choice. I'll be moving up as soon as my budget permits.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Maybe I'm confused(wouldn't be the first time!), I thought the Sports were the units w/the shorter shaft(for lowering springs)and unsuitable for rally, while the HD's were a better choice. Do I have it backwards?

Pete Gossett
Central IL Region SCCA
Solo-2 Chair
93 VW Corrado/42GS

·
Registered
368 Posts
yeh, that is right, they are lower. bad.

i had my revaled and seem good to me.
i think a my lightish car is easy on stuff.:)

·
Registered
442 Posts
Where do you send them? I have some HD's on my very lightish honda and I wanted to send them somewhere but I had no clue where. What are the differences between say the HD's the way they come and revalved HD's. How should a properly valved shock work?

Thanks

·
Registered
204 Posts
hmmm...maybe I've got it backwards. I suppose mine could be HD's.

Anyway, you need to send them to:

Bilstein Motorsports
Attn: Jack French
14102 Stowe Dr.
Poway, CA 92064

Make sure you put a note in there with what you want done and a phone number where he can call you during the day. You might want to call ahead of time to explain what you want. The number is 1-858-386-5900. I just got mine back with brand new inserts, revalved, for something like $262 delivered. They even serialize your struts so they can track them over their life. They knew exactly when mine had been in last and what was done to them.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts