Special Stage Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sunday afternoon at 1:00 pm Pacific time:

So.. Any news from the stages? Times or even impressions from spectator points? It's early but I know anyone on this forum who could not make it out would love to know ...

Maybe I'm just jealous but damn, I wish I was there!

Later kids, :D

Tony

·
Premium Member
803 Posts
Hi, Just got off the phone with Debbie from Edson.

Unofficially: 33 started / 28 finished

1 Patrick Richard - Subaru
2 Sylvain Erickson - EVO
3 Andrew Comrie Pickard - EVO
4 Brian Scott - EVO
5 John Paynter - Subaru
6 Peter Thomson - Subaru
7 Joel Levac - Subaru
8 Harry Anderson - Talon
9 Gord Olsen - VW GTI
10 Dave Kozegi - Subaru
11 Bruno Laveridiere - Talon
12 Peter Reilly - Focus
13 Andrew Miller - VW GTI
14 Zibi Szewczyk - Celica
15 Maciej Ogrocki - Subaru
16 Richard Penrose - Corolla
17 Martin Wilson - Subaru Justy
18 Yavor Klostranec - Nissan NX 2000

DNF Sylvain Vincent - Subaru(Fuel Pump?)
DNF Peter Hill - Corolla(Clutch?)
DNF Sanderson - Nissan Pulsar(Engine?)
DNF Komorowski - Talon (Rolled)

+ Regionals later.

Shawn Bishop

Rocky Mountain Rally
http://www.rockymountainrally.com
Calgary, Alberta
May 24-25, 2002

·
Premium Member
803 Posts
>Januz Rolled??? OMG!
>Is he ok?
>Mark

Apparently all OK - Only got a week to fix it though!

Shawn

Rocky Mountain Rally
http://www.rockymountainrally.com
Calgary, Alberta
May 24-25, 2002

·
Dramamine is for DramaQueens
4,813 Posts
>Januz Rolled??? OMG!
>Is he ok?
>Mark

We're both fine, the car ios a mess but the working theory at the mement is that we'll be ready to Rock and roll by Friday.

The trees were soft and much of the damage is cosmetic.

Keith Morison

·
Registered
296 Posts
BigHorn was great! The organizers did a great job. Saturday was a little boring and long but?Sunday was fantastic!
I was among spectators. Most of them were talking about ?how to built rally car? Definitively the spirit and excitement was there. I was pleased to see teams from the East. Now I understand how important they are for these Western events. It looks like Subaru was little chipper this year. No helicopter but well covered by local and Edmonton media. Edson, job well done!

Jerry Maslanka

P.s.
I posted some videos clips on our web site and included Janusz car after roll.

www.aafce.ca

More video clips on Wednesday.

·
I am not here anymore
2,798 Posts
I thought the event was fantastic. Some folks had me a little scared because of the high speeds, but the only real problem that I had with the speeds was getting used to the numbers on the odo click by so fast and calling the turns right.

Ross and I finished the day 11th overall (national and regional combined) and 3rd in regional. We were trying to fight with Dave (I can't pronounce his last name, let alone spell it) and Bill Westhead in the Legacy in regional P4 but the engine in the car is getting weaker with each event.

alan

·
Registered
426 Posts
Yep, Sprongle was there, but I'm not too sure what his role in the event was. I think he was there to support the cars 4-star helped sponsor.

Hey Matthew, do you have any pictures of the red GTI?

Next time we'll remember to load the co-driver up with gravol before the rally. Cleaning vomit out of the car in the middle of a stage is not fun:eek:

·
Registered
409 Posts
Bighorn P4 Battle

Woohoo! What fun!

Despite some minor delays and a couple of cancelled stages, the rally delivered fast, twisty and fun roads - giving us a platform for some great competition.

We (Koszegi/Westhead) in the DBR Rallysport P4 Subaru Legacy found ourselves with engine management gremlins at the very start of the first stage :eek: So what began as a quest to have fun and maybe "kick some P4 butt" soon became a pure test of survival and endurance.

The car (and crew!) staggered along and finally found it's stride on stage 6, when we began to attack our nearest rivals - Boucher/Lavigne in another P4 Legacy. We continued this pace and eventually opened up a 41 second lead on them before they rolled their car on the first run out from Dennison (stage 13-14?). They emerged under their own power, but way down on time. Fortunately the crew is OK and it looks like their car will be ready for Rocky.

As Alan Perry noted above, he and driver Ryan Foster in their Mazda 323 GTX then became our nearest P4 competitor, as class leaders Levac and Paynter were running in a league of their own with their more modern, and faster, Subaru WRX's. Foster & Perry put up a good fight, but by now we had found our rhythm and increased our cushion over them by about 5 or 6 seconds each stage.

Thanks to the efforts of our awesome service crew, Din Daya of All Makes Subaru in Calagry and Rabin Rutten-James of Regina, SK, the DBR Rallysport Subaru Legacy soldiered on through the last half of the rally. The intermittent engine management issues plagued us throughout the day and some mud and rock inside the rear wheels created some wicked high-speed vibrations on several stages before we had time to re & re the wheels for cleaning. Throughout the rally the efforts of the service crew ensured that Dave and I could return to battle knowing that we had the best in care for the three things we needed most - power, brakes and suspension.

In the end we just missed 9th place overall by 22 seconds, finishing 10th. We also managed to pull out a 3rd in P4 (National), a 1st in Production Over (Regional) and 2nd Overall (Regional).

Congratulations to all who competed - what an incredible ratio of finishers to starters!

Good luck to everyone running Rocky next weekend, we'll be thinking of you but not joining you for the fun. :(

Cheers,

Bill Westhead
co-driver
DBR Rallysport
P4 Subaru Legacy Turbo
Car 10 @ Bighorn

PS Tom - I tried Gravol for the first time this weekend. Even in limited doses I found myself "tuning out" at times, as it makes you drowsy! I'm not sure what the cure is, but in my experience a little nausea is normal and can be controlled with proper food and fluid intake. I think everyone has to try and find their balance of tricks and medications, but it takes some time to establish. On the other hand, some people just find that can't co-drive at all. Good luck!

·
Registered
199 Posts
Yes I have lots of your red GTI pics. I will send them to you soon as they are scanned in the next few days. I was the one who took your picture on the last spectator stage that got shut down.

By the way nice driving Tom, your hairpin right in rob was very nice. Got the whole crowd cheering!:7

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.