Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have waited for one of the seasoned vererans to put up a note that I could say ditto to but its Tuesday already...

This is my first STPR as a competitor. I have volunteered for awhile at STPR, but just saw a little part of it then. As a competitor I must have had exchanges with at least 100 people responsible for some part of this event. I must say to a person they were all welcoming of my sometimes dumb questions, very helpful, knowledgable and friendly. I know there are hundreds of others that I didnt see or just flew by on the way to one place or another. So to all of you, from one of the back markers - THANK YOU for a wonderful event!

·
Registered
434 Posts
>I have waited for one of the seasoned vererans to put up a
>note that I could say ditto to but its Tuesday already...
>
>This is my first STPR as a competitor. I have volunteered for
>awhile at STPR, but just saw a little part of it then. As a
>competitor I must have had exchanges with at least 100 people
>responsible for some part of this event. I must say to a
>person they were all welcoming of my sometimes dumb questions,
>very helpful, knowledgable and friendly. I know there are
>hundreds of others that I didnt see or just flew by on the way
>to one place or another. So to all of you, from one of the
>back markers - THANK YOU for a wonderful event!

I feel the same way. Everything ran very smoothly, thanks to all the workers, sponsors and other competitors for making it a great event!

·
Registered
660 Posts
I'm not a seasoned vet, but I'd like to add my thanks to the STPR volunteers!

It was my first STPR and I had a great time. I'd especially like to thank these guys:

http://www.mmrally.com/graphics/mystpr05/splash/big/161b.jpg

I'd swear we hadn't even stopped moving before they were pushing us out! Pushing my big tank could not have been easy since we'd just broken a CV joint and the remnants were trying to lock up the right front wheel.

Jim Cox

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
Having been there, done that (as a worker) I'm sure you weren't stopped before they arrived. And as mentioned elsewhere the number of DNFs was at (what seemed like) an all time low for STPR. Great event, great condition of the roads for the evening section (at least what I saw ;( ) which might have affecterd the DNF rate. Thanks to all the workers and organizers for their tireless efforts.

Don Kennedy www.RockyRoadRacing.com #931

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Man, look at the water coming from out of the BACK of the hood. Jim, you need to do some serious shielding underneath next time! That much water under the hood is a killer everytime at this crossing.

Regards,
Mark B.

·
Registered
276 Posts
No rally ever comes off without some problems, and this year STPR didn't become an exception to the rule. However, the science and art of working is that you make it appear to come off without any glitches and then take massive credit for it. That way you have another reason to gloat and a few more rally stories to tell.

I wasn't there for it this year (working elsewhere), but as for the Splash/Creek Crossing, sometimes it is nice to have a few hookers around (could not resist). A nice, calm, cool, and collected (and then some!) way to spend some vacation time.

And, yep, looks like a little more "underwear" could help the truck. Good for quite a few style points, though.

Happy Motoring!

·
Registered
570 Posts
With all that the rally community has been through in the last couple of years (the tragedies at Sawmill & Oregon Trails rallies, SCCA pull-out, new sanctioning bodies, etc.), I would not have been surprised to have a "sub-par" STPR. Frankly, with all the internal STPR-specific changes and struggles, I expected a COUPLE of "sub-par" years...

Yet, as many of the posts, here and elsewhere, have indicated this was an EXTRAORDINARY STPR!!! Almost all of the new changes turned out to be BIG plusses, HIGH, HIGH levels of competition, unbelievably low attrition rate - at least through SS6, no rain for a change! The atmosphere at registration was very positive with RA's involvement - they were very approachable, friendly, helpful, etc. The after-rally event at the airport was awesome -- the crowd, the energy, the field lights, the food, many great reports!!! Many thanks to all that contributed, and especially those of you who are in it VERY DEEPLY with all the planning, the travel, the hours, the tough decisions to make!!!

Dave Moore -- Wellsboro resident (STPR), rally worker, sports car ('74 260Z) and rally fanatic, too poor to participate, boo hoo... Blessings to all!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts